Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #1

Oops!

Howdy everybody. Jim and Boo here. Boo is a Boxer (dog).

Newbie here decided to buy an entry level RV to see if me and Boo would like the experience. I found a 1991 Atasca Sunflyer with only 24,000 miles on it about 5-miles from my farm for $2800. Bought it today. The drive home was exciting to say the least. The power steering didn't work and the brakes quit working. The engine surges, won't idle, and won't rev up. The little economy gauge just goes up and down without pause.

This puppy had been sitting up for 8 years that I know of (not even cranked). It has the original tires and they look good. I have no idea what is causing the surging, but I can't drive it to a garage, even if there was one in this podunk little town, and I live in the country.

It has a Chevy chassis with a 454 ci engine with throttle body. The gas tank is almost empty (of course). My first thought was the fluid level is at a point where it is only partially picking up fuel. The second is a faulty fuel pump. Any other ideas? Anyone else had this problem?

Jim
Invisable is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 08:14 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Inline fuel filter may be a quick fix. Check fuel pressure too and see where it is. After 8 years of no activity it could be anything.
sdkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #3

If it hasn't ran for 8 years you probably have a lot of issues. Start by replacing all the belts and hoses. You say the tires look good, don't believe it, their life has expired and need replacing. The carb needs to be rebuilt to start with, probably gummed up. Sounds like a good winter project.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum...

You've got a lot going on... more than I know how to help with so I'll just take a couple.

If the tires are original, you need new tires. They have aged out times 4 no matter how good they look.

Fresh fuel might help and enough to get well above a quarter tank.

Good luck.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:01 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Exclamation

This might be a quick fix for the surging of the engine worth a try.
1. Change the fuel filter

2. get a couple of bottles of (Sea Foam) and pour one in the gas tank. if you can start the engine put some in the carb.

3. pour the other bottle of (Sea Foam) in the crank case and run engine watching guages.

4. after engine has warmed up change oil and oil filter.

5. sitting that long of a time you may have some leaking seals Brake fluid, engine oil seals, rear main, valve cover gaskets, Transmission, and other seals that have dried out from lack of lubrication.

6. like someone else mentioned you will need to change all hoses, fan belts and tires.

7. the brake cylinders and master cylinders may have to be rebuilt. check for leaks. check all brake lines for rust.

Good Luck
Mel
Old 09-21-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

First thing is what is your mechanical skills level.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:11 PM   #7

Welcome to iRV2.

No power , surging and vacuum gauge fluttering .

I hate to say it but on an engine that sat for years , I think you're looking at stuck valves.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post

First thing is what is your mechanical skills level.
I am building a Land Speed Racer, so I guess one might say above average.

Jim
Old 09-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #9

Didn't you test drive it? You knew it was just sitting there for 8 years. Why did you even buy it?
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Didn't you test drive it? You knew it was just sitting there for 8 years. Why did you even buy it?
It was very inexpensive and it fit my needs. I bought a 1937 Chevy pickup that had been stored since 1954 (had 16000 miles on it), and I bought a 1949 Hudson convertible that had been stored for over 10-years and had 64000 miles on the odometer. It ran like a new car and looked like one. It placed 1st in the National Car show in 1985. Why does one buy anything? Heck, money is just something you exchange for something else you had rather have. Why I bought the RV is to pull my chase vehicle and Land Speed Racer (blown fuel Harley) to Bonneville Salt Flats next summer. Belts, etc can be replaced - worn out stuff can only create grief. If this sucker makes it to BSF and back, it has served its purpose as far as I am concerned.

I invite you all to come to BSF next summer and see this old buzzard run the salt. One is never too old to have fun.

Jim
Old 09-22-2016, 03:22 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Jim, be my guess, the surging is it sucking air through cracked hoses? You might get lucky by dumping fresh gas in it, but I would pull the tank, check it for , and check the pump also, it might be ok?
I think you will be fine, just do one thing at a time, till you reach your goal!
Oh, by the way,, and we would like to see pic's! We all love pic's! Also, would love to see some pic's of your bike!
Have fun getting your new baby up and running! Rail!
Old 09-22-2016, 05:18 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Jim,

Welcome to the RV world!

The one difference between your show cars and the RV is that you'll be driving longer distances on the road with all of us and our families. So make it safe - fix the brakes and replace those tires as tread has nothing to do with tire life when they're that old. A blow out in an RV can be catastrophic to both you and the people around you!

I had a 1989 Chevy pickup that rotted out the brake lines so with a similar chassis, you want to check those out very closely and replace the all the lines if possible. Also make sure you have brakes on your car carrier because 'goin' is not the problem with a 454 but 'stoppin' may be!

Good luck and safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:32 AM   #13

Yep. Assuming you have a Chevy chassis, the filter is about halfway between the fuel tank and engine. Kinda hidden near the top of the passenger side frame rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkid View Post
Inline fuel filter may be a quick fix. Check fuel pressure too and see where it is. After 8 years of no activity it could be anything.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
see 2 and 3 of previous post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

No power , surging and vacuum gauge fluttering .

I hate to say it but on an engine that sat for years , I think you're looking at stuck valves.
That's what (Sea Foam) is for, See items 2 and 3 in my previous post.
Mel