Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
You got screwed, and you will have to do a lot more than write a letter.
There is no way a 6 year old tire should be considered new.
You are going to have to fight for what is right.
Good luck.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Goodyear

Of the many blowouts I've had in the last 45 years all but one of them were Goodyears.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #17

I have a 2013 Fleetwood Discovery with Good Year Tires. Can someone tell me how I would find the DOT date on the tires. Many numbers on the tire, so I'm not sure. Thanks
Old 06-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #18

I just replaced my tars with Michelins. I am sure glad I did not buy Goodyears. While I have no experience with Good year dealing with my coach, I sure do dealing with car tires. I didnt care for the experience. The guy reminded me I had a limited warranty...nuff said.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler5860 View Post
I have a 2013 Fleetwood Discovery with Good Year Tires. Can someone tell me how I would find the DOT date on the tires. Many numbers on the tire, so I'm not sure. Thanks
The DOT code is molded into the back side of the tire, the last 4 digits give the week of the year and last 2 digits of the year. 0114 is first week of 2014.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler5860 View Post
Series of numbers on one sidewall of the tire, in this group, the last 4 numbers is the date code. 5107 indicates tire was made in the 51st week of 2007.

(What Ray said)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
Interesting, in that the dealer would have, much less install a tire with a DOT date of 2008 with tires that are much newer. In theory, tires properly stored should be OK, however most dealers do not have the storage area to 'properly' store tires. Even thing though the tire should be the same size, it is possible that there might be a different in overall size. Did you question the difference in age while the work was being done?
Keep us posted on the out come, but I would not be 'holding my breath' waiting for an answer.
You brought up one of my contentions. Goodyear and Wingfoot CT told me that because it was stored it was as good as new. How do I know the condition which it was stored? Also according to the DOT site, tire rubber is affected by the ozone. There is no escaping the effects of the ozone in storage (unless it is hermetically sealed according to Johnny Carson). Although heat does increase the effect of rubber deterioration due to ozone.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The Goodyear warranty for that 2008 tire began when you were handed the sales slip. Goodyear or any other tire manufacturer has the same policy stated in their warranty. Naturally that is totally dependent on the owner properly maintaining the tire, including proper inflation. I'm not saying that is the right way, just the way it is.

As to the "run-flat" issue, using a tire pressure monitoring system eliminates that. What tire pressures do you maintain? The Rubber Manufacturers Association states: "over 90% of all tire failures are the result of underinflation or overloading.
You are correct about the warranty. But a warranty is only as good as the company backing it and at this point I am no longer comfortable with Goodyearís promise. Their CEO makes over 8 million dollars a year and yet they must sell me a 6 year old tire at full price. Not only that but they have not given me an answer as to why I was not covered by the warranty. Only that they cannot determine why the tire failed because I ran flat. I am pretty anal about tire pressure and load. Iíve also purchased a TPMS, Iím pretty new at this so Iíve only discovered their existence after this fiasco.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Theres no way I would accept the argument that 6 year old tires are "ok".....Does you no good when in 5 years one blows and takes part of your rig with it...or worse. Go back to Wingfoot and start with the business manager telling him to get you a much newer tire.....Work your way up the food chain if you don't get a new tire. 6 years old are you kidding? I bought my rig in 2011 and the tire is stamp 2010. Someones is trying to pass their old stock off on you, the unsuspecting new RVer. Shame on them. And after getting a new tire I wouldn't do any further business with that company.
Believe me I have been around the block with these guys. The open letter is close to my last resort. Although at this point I feel as though Iím wasting my time with this (as far as resolution with Goodyear is concerned). I did this open letter because I want others to be aware and not make the same mistake. Ultimately we as the consumer have the power, but only if we ban together. With modern technology like this forum, companies need to be smarter.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
If DOT date codes are meaningless to the safety of the tire as Goodyear stated to you then why have a DOT date at all on the tire other than for manufacturing data. Has to much been put into the reading of date codes for the safety of the tire? I'm sorry but In my opinion someone is trying to blow smoke up someone's keester.

I wonder if the racing sanctioning bodies that use Goodyears are putting the racers on the race track with 8 year old rubber tires? NOT!
Iíd be willing to bet that manufacturers of RVís are not given ďstaleĒ tires either. Why are the little guys (end consumer) treated with less respect?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #25

Riover, both Motorhome magazine and Good Sam Highways magazine have a consumer help section. Both have a good reputation for settling disputes in favor of the consumer. I urge you to contact both with your complaint. Include as much detail, documentation, and records of events as they happened. I know Highways has an online website to make a complaint, can't say about Motorhome magazine. I'm always surprised at how fast complaints are settled after being contacted by the magazine's editor. Businesses appear to detest widespread negative publicity.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Riover, both Motorhome magazine and Good Sam Highways magazine have a consumer help section. Both have a good reputation for settling disputes in favor of the consumer. I urge you to contact both with your complaint. Include as much detail, documentation, and records of events as they happened. I know Highways has an online website to make a complaint, can't say about Motorhome magazine. I'm always surprised at how fast complaints are settled after being contacted by the magazine's editor. Businesses appear to detest widespread negative publicity.
I don't think it really matters ,what anybody says or does (think about it people are buying 100-500thous dollar MHs and having to keep going back to the builder to get them right) I use to rebuild jet engines and if it wasn't right we tore it down (only 2 in 25yrs had to be torn down ) you don't call service or get out and walk at 50,000.ft look at all the new owners this yr sitting at the builders to correct things that should have been right the first time
Old 06-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you sure the tire they sold you was in fact new and not just represented as new?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:04 AM   #28

Tires are generally sold in sets, a person that needs just one will most likely get leftover from broken sets., most likely it is the dealer that screwed you. With that said, GY should get involved with the dealer and exchange the tire, I would not run the tire, it may be within the window date wise, but it is also a GY, not on my rig..