Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #1

Open Letter to Goodyear

Open letter to Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

To Whom It May Concern,

I recently had to have a tire replaced on my RV. The RV is a recently purchased 2014 model with tires that have a DOT date of 2013. I had a tire go bad on a 300 mile trip from the RV manufacturer to my destination. I was directed to a Wingfoot CT by a Goodyear representative in order to get the tire fixed.

I was told my tire was not repairable and would have to be replaced and it was, with a tire that has a DOT date of 2008, at my cost. This happened this year (2014), making this tire 6 years old when I got it and yet I was charged the same price I would have been charged if the tire had a DOT date of 2014 (over $600). At the time I did not realize that I had effectively been cheated.

I use internet forums, Facebook and other Internet outlets to gather information and learn more about RV’s and items related to operating, maintaining and enjoying my RV. I was concerned about the warranty process and was looking for more information because I was told that because I “ran flat” the warranty may be voided (it wasn’t flat when I started driving, it was flat when I arrived, there was no indication along the route that it had gone flat, it’s the inside tire of a dually setup). I was also told that if it was covered the reimbursement would be sent to Wingfoot CT and not to me (even though I’m the one who paid for the tire).

In the course of my discussion on a forum I discovered that there is indeed an issue with the DOT date of a tire. Knowledgeable RV owners realize that they will never wear out their tires through mileage, it is generally the ravishes of time that decrease the safety of their tires to the point that they have to be replaced. I was told that I had been ripped off.

I immediately began corresponding with Goodyear and Wingfoot CT concerning this matter. I called, I emailed, and I used Goodyear’s contact web form to submit my concerns. I was told that the DOT date is not an issue, it is irrelevant. That the tire I purchased had just as many years left in it as a tire with a DOT date of 2014. I’m not entirely convinced, nor do I think I could convince anybody who is about to purchase my RV that the tire with a 2008 date actually has more years left in it than the ones with 2013 dates. Which is why I’m writing you this open letter.

I would like Goodyear to give me their official word in writing on DOT dates on their tires and RV usage. I want to know if Goodyear truly believes that a tire with a DOT date of 2008 holds the same value as a tire with a DOT date of 2014 (because the price charged is the same for both). I want all people who own RV’s to know what Goodyear’s official policy is concerning this.

I think that Goodyear realizes that there is value in the RV market, you do after all have a tire line specifically manufactured for RV’s. I think it is important for the RV market to know if Goodyear values us. I will gladly share your response to this letter everywhere that the RV market congregates.
On a more personal note, I still have not received any correspondence on whether or not the tire was covered under warranty. The process where a reimbursement check would be sent to Wingfoot CT rather than to the person who paid for the tire replacement is not consumer friendly at all. I honestly feel that Goodyear as a company does not have the end consumer’s best interest at heart, which is wrong because without the end consumer, you don’t have a company.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter, I look forward to your response.
Riover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #2

Hi IRV2 forum members. Above is a letter I sent to Goodyear on May 16th, 2014. I haven't yet received a response but I wanted to be sure to share this with you. Hopefully my costly lesson will help somebody avoid making the same mistake that I made (trusting a tire company). If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll be sure to answer.
Riover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #3

Interesting, in that the dealer would have, much less install a tire with a DOT date of 2008 with tires that are much newer. In theory, tires properly stored should be OK, however most dealers do not have the storage area to 'properly' store tires. Even thing though the tire should be the same size, it is possible that there might be a different in overall size. Did you question the difference in age while the work was being done?
Keep us posted on the out come, but I would not be 'holding my breath' waiting for an answer.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #4

The Goodyear warranty for that 2008 tire began when you were handed the sales slip. Goodyear or any other tire manufacturer has the same policy stated in their warranty. Naturally that is totally dependent on the owner properly maintaining the tire, including proper inflation. I'm not saying that is the right way, just the way it is.

As to the "run-flat" issue, using a tire pressure monitoring system eliminates that. What tire pressures do you maintain? The Rubber Manufacturers Association states: "over 90% of all tire failures are the result of underinflation or overloading.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Cool Wow

All other issues aside, I think it is mis-representation to sell you a "new" tire that was manufactured 6 years ago. Goodyear's response will be interesting. Makes me wonder about tires like mine, when I bought my rig tire dot codes indicated they were 4 years old, in reality could be that they were put on anytime between that dot date and the date I bought it. Leaving a "window of doubt" as to the "use age", or "inservice age", of the tires of 4 years. Not good when my plan is to replace after 7 years in service, I may replace them several years prematurely. (Based on Goodyear thinking, which I do not agree with)
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I feel bad for you. I think ultimately it will be a case of "caveat emptor". I would have refused that tire. It will be very interesting to see if you get a response, and what that response will be.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #7

A similar situation. We bought a new dp coach last year. A Fleetwood Expedition Expedition 39B. We had to replace both front "steer" tires because they had been mismounted on the wheels, a small portion of the bead hadn't seated correctly on each, causing a terrible wobble in one and a bad wobble in the other. It was originally diagnosed at a non Good Year truck tire dealership. "You're going to have to replace both front tires. They were mismounted", he said. Good Year was difficult to contact and very unpleasant to deal with. We had to make two trips do a participating tire dealer, after dealing with a local Good Year dealer. I will never ever buy a Good Year tire for any of our vehicles. Ever.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Theres no way I would accept the argument that 6 year old tires are "ok".....Does you no good when in 5 years one blows and takes part of your rig with it...or worse. Go back to Wingfoot and start with the business manager telling him to get you a much newer tire.....Work your way up the food chain if you don't get a new tire. 6 years old are you kidding? I bought my rig in 2011 and the tire is stamp 2010. Someones is trying to pass their old stock off on you, the unsuspecting new RVer. Shame on them. And after getting a new tire I wouldn't do any further business with that company.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DOT dates

If DOT date codes are meaningless to the safety of the tire as Goodyear stated to you then why have a DOT date at all on the tire other than for manufacturing data. Has to much been put into the reading of date codes for the safety of the tire? I'm sorry but In my opinion someone is trying to blow smoke up someone's keester.

I wonder if the racing sanctioning bodies that use Goodyears are putting the racers on the race track with 8 year old rubber tires? NOT!

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I am another one that would never own a Goodyear tire. Your letter is one of many that I have seen or heard of regarding Goodyear. Many of the letters have been regarding "rivering" of Goodyear tires and GY will do nothing to stand behind them. Why buy them if the wear out because of outdated age when sold as new or premature tread wear?

One question, why are you paying for a tire still under the RV manufactures warranty that you were driving home??????
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Discount Tire location near me will not service tires with a date code exceeding 10 years, so the date codes are important to some selling locations. By not serviced, I mean no repairs or remounting.
khogle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Please keep us updated on your situation.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #13

If you belong to Good Sam, get their Action Line on the case. In their magazine, they boast of solving a lot of warranty problems.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #14

Hhmm
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote