Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Open road extended warranty

Hello all,
What does everyone think about the open road extended warranty offered by NAC solutions? The one I'm looking at is the protector 1 coverage...

Cuban Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Umm, kinda helps if you list something about your RV. Is it brand new, or 10 yo? In general, you are much better off by putting the money you'd spend on the warranty in the bank and adding to it occasionally. If a dealer is offering it to you, you'd find a better price on-line.

This is what NAC says about their policies, "Our Open Road Mechanical Breakdown Protection program is specifically designed to serve the RV Dealer".

Hmm, wait, designed to serve the RV dealer? What about the consumer.

'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Well, it's an 2003 fleetwood southwind 32vs with 16k miles. Im just concerned if the warranty is good or not
Old 07-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I am not a real big fan of extended warranties but I would encourage you to read the complete contract very closely and know that the large print giveth and the small print taketh away. Then there is the problem that the repair facility has to get the pre-authorization to do the repairs and the insurance company will accept responsibility. If the repair company uses the wrong word (items not covered) in communication with the insurance company; the claim is denied. Example: bracket is covered, brace is not. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Wether or not you choose an extended service contract is completely up to you and your comfort zone. As stated above read the contract very carefully. Most have some very specific procedures for filing a claim and getting approvals for having any work done. If those procedures are not followed to the letter the claim may well be denied even though the part would otherwise be covered.

Look for a policy that is "exclusionary". That means that if a part is not specifically "excluded" in the policy, it is covered. These type of policies generally cover a bit more than the traditional "inclusive" type policy.

The real decision is how much is "peace of mind" worth to you personally, and your personal risk tolerance? If you have some sort of major problem you will be happy to have the policy, if not you will have spent a lot of money for "peace of mind".

In the past I was not a believer in extended service contracts and have ended up dollars ahead by not purchasing them. I do most of my own maintenance and try to keep our equipment in top condition. This year we purchased our current rig and the dealer included a 5 year "exclusionary" policy with the purchase from Cornerstone. It does afford a great deal of "peace of mind" and I am glad to have it, but hope we don't have to use it.

Keep in mind that these are NOT extended "warranties" but service contract insurance policies! In essence, when you purchase a policy, you are betting that something will go wrong that exceeds the cost of the policy. The insurance company is betting that it will not!
Tom and Barb
'07 Winnebago Voyage 35L
Workhorse W22 chassis FMCA 219315
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
If you buy from a dealer they cost 2 times as much. Do a search here and on
RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information
Beabop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
Thank you all for the responses and I appreciate you input. I have decided to go forth with the ESP. The peace of mind will go a long way...
Old 07-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
RV service Warranty

I purchased the XtraRide Platium MH service agreement when I purchased my used 2006 Travel Supreme Select 45 2 1/2 yeares ago. I have had a few repairs and they have covered most problems without issues. I have recovered my cost of the agreement and still have a year and 1/2 to go. I found the best price was with WholesaleWarranties.net. Ask for Jeff Shelton and get a quote. Tell him Dave Wyatt refered you to him for the best price. Those that tell you to put your money into the bank for repairs must have never had their motorhome into the shop. It cost a lot to repair a motorhome. I do not like to get cheap out of the way shops or even some RV Dealers to get service and repairs to the chasis, engine, transmision or etc. I perfer OEM dealers and check carefully if considering a RV place. The price Jeff gave me was several thousand less than others for a 4 year agreement and XtraRide is a great company to deal with.

drwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote