Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
No. I have installed this awning lock on my RV. It only attaches to one end of the awning. You just use your awning pull rod, to unhook the lock and give it a twist. Then use your automatic or pull down the awning. One person can do it alone.

Thanks for the update

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #16

I just use duct tape @ the top after I had wind pull out awnings twice on me, once while traveling and once while being stored in Colorado. Both times I had to have new awnings and frames.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Had this happen once on my last coach, we were very lucky we didn't lose it. All I had at the time was 2 short bungy cords. I just wrapped them around the support rods in the same location of the stock locks (about eye level) and never had another problem. I have 2 friends that just use zip ties.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
Got it, use it, love it.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #19

The problem with zip ties or velcro is that they don't really solve the problem. If that's what you're using, you've just been lucky. The problem occurs when wind starts to get inside the awning (either from the end of underneath). Then, the ratchet either slips or breaks, which unfurls the awning. The RV Awning Travel Lock puts a steel pin in the awning tube so that it cannot unfurl, period. If it does, that means the wind was strong enough to break that pin. In that case, your motorhome is probably laying over on it's side on the freeway.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #20

These are all patches, IMO. No proper awning should do this.
What awning are these that are grabbing wind? No one mentions that? Patio, slide, window, electric, manual, did it have a wind deflector, anti billow device? So on and so forth. With proper tensioning, and anti billow/wind deflection, there should never be the issue.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #21

I've had it happen on both Carefree and A&E awnings. No awning is immune from huge side gusts. On mine, it's the patio awning that's the problem. I suppose it could happen on a slide-out awning or window, but maybe those aren't big enough to be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
What awning are these that are grabbing wind? No one mentions that? Patio, slide, window, electric, manual, did it have a wind deflector, anti billow device? So on and so forth. With proper tensioning, and anti billow/wind deflection, there should never be the issue.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #22

Living in Oklahoma I find there are only two types of RV'ers. Those of u that have had this happen to them, and those of you who will have it happen. I buy 100 packs of zip ties at Harbor Freight for like 4.00 and when ever I use it it I cut them off and resecure with a couple up high before I take off again. And I always have a step ladder on board, (learned that the hard way too) and plenty of 100mph tape and parachute cord.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle21 View Post
I've had the Velcro straps on mine for years I have bought multiple sets for people in our group.
Not sure exactly how you're using those straps, but just putting straps around the posts so they can't open does not solve the problem. If there is a problem inside the roller tube the awning can unfurl while the support posts are still locked tight!

I looked at all the awning locks that I could find and decided on the fix below. See post #40. I think it's foolproof and very inexpensive! JMHO

Awning clamps needed?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Well mine was an A&E 9000 (aluminum cover) 16' on the passenger side patio. Traveling 62mph in a 40+mph quartering crosswind on the pass side. No doubt the stock lock came loose as the front of the awning was unfurling 2-3' and slamming back against the MH. The rear lock remained in place and probably what saved the awning.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've had my window awnings partially "float" away from the sidewall in strong crosswinds on that side ...always in Oklahoma. I devised locks for them with wire tires & awning hangers secured in the awning rail. My patio awning (Carefree power w/aluminum shield/cover) has never been affected by road winds.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
The insurance companies don't look at it that way. I have just finished shopping every major carrier and they all ask about awning coverage.

I saw several awnings during Hurricane Charlie that I don't think all of the proper tension in the world would have helped. If you have a MH with a few years on it, springs are going to get weak. A 70 MPH crosswind gust may just over ride that spring where an awning lock would have prevented it. An awning lock is an inexpensive, don't have to worry about, prevent measure. JMO.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use what is called a lock pin or lynch pin. You can buy them at any hardware store. Here is a link showing them:
Lynch Pins - Wire Lock Pins - Quick Release Pins - Innovative Components
I've used these for over 20 years without problem. Easy to remove etc., they come in various widths so measure your awning arms. I just put it above the awning lock on the arm.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
The insurance companies don't look at it that way. I have just finished shopping every major carrier and they all ask about awning coverage.
From my experience, anyway, that is usually used for storm damage from people being lazy and leaving the awning out when it takes <5 minutes to store it.