Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #43

RV travel awning lock gizmo as others mentioned is ideal. You can undo it with the awning rod. Easy to install.

All those other cheap fixes such as velcro and tape and zip ties are useless. The other inventions to secure the awning tube will make you get out the ladder. Do you really want to go through all that trouble every time you put out the awning?
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
With my A&E awning, my directional ratchet lever striped out and quit working, I could just pull the awning out, so I had to use Velcro on the arms to hold them closed, I replaced the awning springs and now with the directional lever and ratchet system in the front spring working, my awning will not come out without flipping the lever, so now the question for others tieing their awnings down, is the something not working right that needs fixed?
Old 02-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
With my A&E awning, my directional ratchet lever striped out and quit working, I could just pull the awning out, so I had to use Velcro on the arms to hold them closed, I replaced the awning springs and now with the directional lever and ratchet system in the front spring working, my awning will not come out without flipping the lever, so now the question for others tieing their awnings down, is the something not working right that needs fixed?
The awning travel lock gizmo is just an added insurance measure just in case the rachet lever you mention breaks again. The wrachet lever works on the right side, the awning lock secures the left side. Both stop the awning tube from unrolling. When you put velcro on the arms as you mentioned earlier, the awning tube could still unroll. The tube itself needs to be secured.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
The awning travel lock gizmo is just an added insurance measure just in case the rachet lever you mention breaks again. The wrachet lever works on the right side, the awning lock secures the left side. Both stop the awning tube from unrolling. When you put velcro on the arms as you mentioned earlier, the awning tube could still unroll. The tube itself needs to be secured.
With velcro around my arms, mine could not unroll, believe me, I know, for mine to unroll, my front arm is the first thing that has to move, if it does not move, nothing does.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #47

Velcro won't stop the wind from overpowering the pawl in that awning tube. You just haven't had it happen to you yet. But it will, just give it some time.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #48

National RV Owners Club
I have been using Velcro straps for years.
I put two on each arm one just above the metal latch and the other as far up the arm as I can reach.
It works for us.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
I hope not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Velcro won't stop the wind from overpowering the pawl in that awning tube. You just haven't had it happen to you yet. But it will, just give it some time.
Coach is 14 years old, 56,000 miles, original awning, good and bad windy conditions(27,000 of the miles by me) 1/2 of the summer with Velcro due to broken ratchet pawl gears, new springs, all new better designed pawl system, cannot pull the awning open, I tried to. I hope it stays put........
The OEM 2000 vintage, was of the fine tooth design in the pawl, the new design is more like a courser gear drive. If the wind is blowing hard enough above the traveled speed, to over-power this gear system and break it, and if I was to stay out on the road, the awning will most likely be the least of my problems......
Old 02-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #50

Freightliner Owners Club
The ratchet is what connects the roller tube to the arms. If the ratchet fails or is overpowered by the wind, the arms won't move but the awning will unfurl. (Just by over riding the spring)
Had my ratchet replaced in 2006, the camlock broke. (Roller could be unrolled and the arms would not move). New ratchet clicks slower and more positive. (Larger teeth?). I now also use the Keith Williams Travel lock, it was easy to install and no hassle to use.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
I see what you are saying Hooligan, but without a broken spring or maybe even both of the broken, I could not see mine un-raveling if the pawl broke with all the spring tension on the awning, even when retracted.......maybe though........sure would take one hell of a high wind storm to cause this to happen I would think, I have hit 80-82 mph before, plus the prevailing winds............
Old 02-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I see what you are saying Hooligan, but without a broken spring or maybe even both of the broken, I could not see mine un-raveling if the pawl broke with all the spring tension on the awning, even when retracted.......maybe though........sure would take one hell of a high wind storm to cause this to happen I would think, I have hit 80-82 mph before, plus the prevailing winds............
I have personally seen it happen on two rigs at the same time. We were all on a four lane in Wyoming with strong gusts coming directly from one side.
The two I saw were pulled over in a rest area.
The awnings had billowed up while the arms were still locked in place . I was going the other direction so my patio awning was safe. My awning slide topper was billowing out so that the anti billow arm was banging against the stop plate.

The awning area is enough to push several thousand pounds of boat at five or six miles per hour in a 15 mile per hour wind.
Once the wind gets beneath the awning, if it is a high enough speed it can break or slip the ratchet and open the awning against the spring tension.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Now..... how about the wind over powering the electric power awnings, ripping their gears out and un-raveling? or does this just happen to the manual awnings? Should everyone somehow fasten their awnings down? Just wondering, and I have not seen a fast and good way here to do so.......
Old 02-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #54

Freightliner Owners Club
The small "awning lock" I use on the rear cap is not that robust. It is effective because it helps the ratchet hold the awning tube from starting to unroll and billow. Once the awning starts to unfurl, it's going where it wants to.
It's easy to engage or disengage, using the awning rod to pull down and twist the spring loaded pin. It will hold the awning against the pull strap even if the ratchet is disengaged..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #55

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Now..... how about the wind over powering the electric power awnings, ripping their gears out and un-raveling? or does this just happen to the manual awnings? Should everyone somehow fasten their awnings down? Just wondering, and I have not seen a fast and good way here to do so.......
I have not seen a confirmed case of a power awning unfurling due to wind. Mine has never moved ...Carefree w/aluminum cover. My window awnings have no locks, and have been affected by strong cross-winds.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #56

A&E had a recall on some of the motorized unit. It was not holding on the road.
We replaced the arms and awning canvas on an electric awning that opened while on transit.
So electric awnings can open.
In 20 years my good working manual awnings have never opened. Besides there is a lock on each arm. Sometimes I forget to undo them and the awning just will not pull out.