Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2014, 01:05 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
justimagination's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Monroe, Ga USA
Posts: 708
I must say a wide variety of suggestions are dominant in this post. My awning, like most all of RV's, has a square tube that slides into square tube once it is closed, and once closed, it has a safety latch (almost half way up) to keep the two (2) aluminum tubes from coming apart. To further keep these tubes from ever coming apart, I simply use a small but sturdy bungie/ball cord to wrap and secure on each tube. In the eight (8) years of travels, I have never had a problem. I looked @ the webpage on the Awning lock, and most of the failure photo's I saw looked like to me they were on TT's. JMHO & travel safe.
David
__________________

__________________
_____________________________________________
USAF 1959-1963/ JFK Innaguration parade 1961,
1997 Fleetwood Southwind 37Y, 460 ENGINE on FORD chassis, Power Platform with Tag Axle.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #72
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by justimagination View Post
I must say a wide variety of suggestions are dominant in this post. My awning, like most all of RV's, has a square tube that slides into square tube once it is closed, and once closed, it has a safety latch (almost half way up) to keep the two (2) aluminum tubes from coming apart. To further keep these tubes from ever coming apart, I simply use a small but sturdy bungie/ball cord to wrap and secure on each tube. In the eight (8) years of travels, I have never had a problem. I looked @ the webpage on the Awning lock, and most of the failure photo's I saw looked like to me they were on TT's. JMHO & travel safe.
David
David, I think you may have missed what some were saying. Just having the support arms secured does not prevent the problem! The mechanism can strip out inside the round tube and the awning can unfurl with the support arms still securely in place!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
topdownman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,462
Also, it doesn't matter what type of RV the awning is attached to (TT, MH, 5er), they're all made the same way and by the same manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
David, I think you may have missed what some were saying. Just having the support arms secured does not prevent the problem! The mechanism can strip out inside the round tube and the awning can unfurl with the support arms still securely in place!
__________________
Mark Anderson - FMCA 351514 - Louisville, KY
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH - Freightliner / Cummins
2006 Jeep Commander
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
RV travel awning lock gizmo as others mentioned is ideal. You can undo it with the awning rod. Easy to install.

All those other cheap fixes such as velcro and tape and zip ties are useless. The other inventions to secure the awning tube will make you get out the ladder. Do you really want to go through all that trouble every time you put out the awning?
I agree with you Pirate.Why in hell someone would want to "invent" some Rube Goldberg gadget when they can just buy the lock designed for your awning is beyond me. You've spent thousands of dollars on your RV and yet your going to save 39.00 on a well known fix that works, Amazing !!
__________________
Don and Maxine McQueen
1996 Damon Intruder
F53 Chassis 33 ft
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector8 View Post
The only time my awning ever came out is when the awning retract spring on the forward end of tube broke. Replaced spring, end of problem. Have never used any awning locks. That 1985 Minnie Winnie's awning came out in the early 90's. Last year traveled over 5000 miles with lots of wind no problems. Have I only been blessed?
Yes and lucky
__________________
Don and Maxine McQueen
1996 Damon Intruder
F53 Chassis 33 ft
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #76
Member
 
inspector8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Catoosa, OK
Posts: 67
Awning coming out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Ideal'y yes, but I believe that end of the tube houses the factory braking mechanism.
Having had two different awning tubes apart, there is no braking mechanism.
There is a ratcheting catch at front end of tube. What you feel are the springs being put under more tension as you pull awning out.

When my forward spring broke, fwd end of awning came out. I wonder if this is what happens, a spring breaks, and this is the only reason awnings ever comes out?
__________________
Tom and Jackie Bender
2005 Hurricane Class A 34N three slides Ford V-10
USN AMH2 1968-1972 Retired AA engine inspector
inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:33 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
Thebaldeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
I agree with you Pirate.Why in hell someone would want to "invent" some Rube Goldberg gadget when they can just buy the lock designed for your awning is beyond me. You've spent thousands of dollars on your RV and yet your going to save 39.00 on a well known fix that works, Amazing !!
Maybe because we had no idea of this "well known fix?" This thread is the first time I have heard of a marketed awning lock that might work whereas my system has been used by me and my family in several RVs over several years with not one failure and is easy to apply, costs about $5 and foolproof.
__________________
Thebaldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:38 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
justimagination's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Monroe, Ga USA
Posts: 708
JMHO & travel safe.
David
__________________
_____________________________________________
USAF 1959-1963/ JFK Innaguration parade 1961,
1997 Fleetwood Southwind 37Y, 460 ENGINE on FORD chassis, Power Platform with Tag Axle.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:01 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
I agree with you Pirate.Why in hell someone would want to "invent" some Rube Goldberg gadget when they can just buy the lock designed for your awning is beyond me. You've spent thousands of dollars on your RV and yet your going to save 39.00 on a well known fix that works, Amazing !!
I guess I don't understand why the awning manufacturers don't provide this to begin with? Seems like as with many RV "features", we owners have to come up with solutions that could have been integrated into the design.
__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #80
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Necessity of an "awning lock."

Is an "awning lock" really necessary on a 2014 Tiffin Allegro 31SA? It seems like the awning is secured in a cylindrical 'housing', which appears to double as a leaf/debris remover when the awning is 'open'.


Thank you,
David
__________________
David527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
JacknKay's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 594
Here's what I use. It works great and I have had no problems at all.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2746260798.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	467.0 KB
ID:	56559
__________________
Jack & Kay
2015 Allegro 32CA Ford Chassis
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
96 Wideglide's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,215
Jack, I installed the same thing on my last coach with manual A&E awning, but never got into any heavy winds after installing it. My friend with a electric awning seen it, and decided to get one himself. It failed on him, as I said on post 57 of this thread.
The guy is a journeyman pipefitter, and meticulous at everything he build's / does. Trust me, he did'nt screw up the install.
He's down South right now so I cant confirm this, but I believe the front started billowing, then it tore the self tapping screws out of the awning arm.
It's definatly better than relying on the OE lock, but it can fail.
__________________
Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:01 AM   #83
Member
 
inspector8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Catoosa, OK
Posts: 67
Awning comes out even with lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Jack, I installed the same thing on my last coach with manual A&E awning, but never got into any heavy winds after installing it. My friend with a electric awning seen it, and decided to get one himself. It failed on him, as I said on post 57 of this thread.
The guy is a journeyman pipefitter, and meticulous at everything he build's / does. Trust me, he did'nt screw up the install.
He's down South right now so I cant confirm this, but I believe the front started billowing, then it tore the self tapping screws out of the awning arm.
It's definatly better than relying on the OE lock, but it can fail.
So the aftermarket lock isn't foolproof either! Now I don't know what to put my faith in. I'm asking my RV dealer about this issue and will make a decision then.
__________________
Tom and Jackie Bender
2005 Hurricane Class A 34N three slides Ford V-10
USN AMH2 1968-1972 Retired AA engine inspector
inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 514
Awning lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector8 View Post
So the aftermarket lock isn't foolproof either! Now I don't know what to put my faith in. I'm asking my RV dealer about this issue and will make a decision then.
Hmmm. looks like I stand corrected doesnt it ?
__________________

__________________
Don and Maxine McQueen
1996 Damon Intruder
F53 Chassis 33 ft
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slide Topper Awning Support MSHappyCampers iRV2.com General Discussion 22 08-13-2017 03:41 PM
RV Driving Course- Driving Like a Pro & 5TH & TT's "007" New Rig Show-Off! 67 02-28-2017 07:54 AM
Driving Lessons OWV Jayco Owner's Forum 7 02-07-2014 05:52 AM
Oasis Electric Door Awning heybc RV Systems & Appliances 3 11-21-2013 10:40 AM
Dometic A&E door awning adonh Class A Motorhome Discussions 2 07-16-2013 08:23 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.