Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #99
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
It was already there. I think it is where the slot is for sliding the rubber hangers down the tube for lights, etc.
Yup ... your solution is probably better than most. The trick is to prevent the tube from ever starting to rotate/unroll. If it moves even an inch or so the fabric (sail) will rapidly increase in area.

Within this thread people are still confusing the 2 issues:

1) the awning unfurls while the arms are locked ... the awning tube rotates.

2) the arms unlock and the awning swings out.

Both are a problem. Both happen.

Two different locking mechanisms are required.

If you have the older Carefree spring-loaded manual awning, I highly recommend the Pioneer Upgrade Kit. It replaces the roller springs with a worm gear assembly and crank. You also need the crank. Total cost is about $150. You will never need to replace a broken spring again! Unfortunately, nothing (from Carefree) is available for my integrated slide topper/awning.

Carefree Pioneer Lite Crank Awning - PPL Motor Homes
__________________

__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #100
Senior Member
 
RTinVa's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Some of the metal covered awnings are'nt imune to this !
That was going to be my next question after reading the earlier comment reply. My awning has an aluminum cover when closed. I guess I will have to consider taking care of this before it has a chance at hurting someone.

I am glad that this post is here. I would never have given it a thought until....

Thanks to all who have provided recommendations and replies!
__________________

__________________
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #101
Senior Member
 
RTinVa's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Yup ... your solution is probably better than most. The trick is to prevent the tube from ever starting to rotate/unroll. If it moves even an inch or so the fabric (sail) will rapidly increase in area.

Within this thread people are still confusing the 2 issues:

1) the awning unfurls while the arms are locked ... the awning tube rotates.

2) the arms unlock and the awning swings out.

Both are a problem. Both happen.

Two different locking mechanisms are required.

If you have the older Carefree spring-loaded manual awning, I highly recommend the Pioneer Upgrade Kit. It replaces the roller springs with a worm gear assembly and crank. You also need the crank. Total cost is about $150. You will never need to replace a broken spring again! Unfortunately, nothing (from Carefree) is available for my integrated slide topper/awning.

Carefree Pioneer Lite Crank Awning - PPL Motor Homes
Thank you for the description in detail so we all understand what the issue of unfurling awnings are doing.
__________________
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:28 AM   #102
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
That was going to be my next question after reading the earlier comment reply. My awning has an aluminum cover when closed. I guess I will have to consider taking care of this before it has a chance at hurting someone.

I am glad that this post is here. I would never have given it a thought until....

Thanks to all who have provided recommendations and replies!
Your aluminum cover/guard is excellent protection but not totally immune. All of the "fixes" are bits and pieces to try to lessen the effects. The manufacturers could fix this stuff but they are facing the reality that consumers are not likely to take the extra measures to engage devices. Everyone likes auto-magic stuff ... no one likes ladders. However, we still want our coach to have high ceilings ...
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Joe, my awning is newer, but I built mine very much the same way you did yours.
This is what I use exactly. I guess it works just fine because I have had no issues. But then again I've had no issues before installing this rod anyway. Hopefully we will never know either way..
__________________
Don and Maxine McQueen
1996 Damon Intruder
F53 Chassis 33 ft
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #104
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
This is what I use exactly. I guess it works just fine because I have had no issues. But then again I've had no issues before installing this rod anyway. Hopefully we will never know either way..

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #105
Senior Member
 
Randy125's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 316
I installed an awning lock designed by Keith Williams on the rear of my awning I now feel I have signifucantly lowered my risk of it opening while traveling. Over the years I have seen five rv along the side of the road with this very problem.
__________________
2002 KSDP 3669/Freightliner XC CHASSIS/Cummins 5.9 ISB 300hp
Joplin, MO
Randy125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #106
Senior Member
 
dwhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lake Hartwell, SC/GA
Posts: 561
YEAH RANDY?
Well you saw me stop FIVE TIMES on I-70 on the front range of CO and western KS...unbelievable scary for DW. I'll be working to fix this issue rather quickly. Even at 45mph we had troubles with awning unfurling...done for the day and going into town now for hardware...
__________________
XLR 415AMP, F350 Lariat 6.7 DRW, lotsa mtcyls, NRA Benefactors.
dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #107
Member
 
inspector8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Catoosa, OK
Posts: 67
Talking Awning clamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
The Awning Clamp is foolproof. Camping World sells them. Your dealer should be able to install them for you.

I don't know if the Awning Clamp can be used on electric awnings.

Jim
I did purchase the Awning clamp (from my dealer)as it looked like the best fix to me. The link to it is here. RV Awning Clamp - White - Camco 30611 - Awning Accessories & Hardware - Camping World
__________________

__________________
Tom and Jackie Bender
2005 Hurricane Class A 34N three slides Ford V-10
USN AMH2 1968-1972 Retired AA engine inspector
inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slide Topper Awning Support MSHappyCampers iRV2.com General Discussion 22 08-13-2017 03:41 PM
RV Driving Course- Driving Like a Pro & 5TH & TT's "007" New Rig Show-Off! 67 02-28-2017 07:54 AM
Driving Lessons OWV Jayco Owner's Forum 7 02-07-2014 05:52 AM
Oasis Electric Door Awning heybc RV Systems & Appliances 3 11-21-2013 10:40 AM
Dometic A&E door awning adonh Class A Motorhome Discussions 2 07-16-2013 08:23 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.