Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2017, 11:11 PM   #1

Opinion on price of 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R

I think I found our new home. 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R on workhorse with 22.5 tires and 44,000 miles. After agonizing over the driveway, watched the neighbor have fun getting his stuff up his driveway. Realized that longer wheelbase and taller tires was going to work better. The shorter rig put the back end into the road right after starting up the hill. The overhang is insane on a 34 ft at 11ft when a 38 ft is 12 ft.

Looked at a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 37B which has an awesome bedroom with a sitting area. Didnt think craning our necks to the side to watch TV mounted in wall next to dinette was the way to go. Cant watch TV with the slide in.

The 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R has a huge kitchen, nice living area and the bedroom isnt cramped. If i had to work from it I could work something out. If we are stuck in a spot where we cant use the slides we can still reach part of the sink in the kitchen, the rest is fine. Negative is if you have a big bootie the toilet is cramped. Well Its cramped anyway. Not sure if this is a deal breaker. My last MH barely had enough room to get your pants down with the door closed so....

The price they were asking was 38,900. We got them down to $35,000. Nada low is $31,000 and average is $38,000 if you dont figure mileage which is 44,000 miles and appears to add $5-7,000 to the value.

They seem to be a decent dealer. They are mostly consignment. $235 dealer prep (compared to $2000 camper world wanted) and $15 electronic transfer fee (camper worlds doc fee was $500). No sales tax in FL since we live in NC and some temp tag and title fees possibly $225.

For what we have looked at, all the super clean units the dealers claim that smell so moldy it sticks in your nose. This has been odor free, except the people smell from spending winters in FL in it. With the mosture meter we can tell roof needs to be resealed but hasnt gone years needing to be done.

They have assured us that all will be working. Not sure what I think of that statement. It is an old unit and used there is bound to be some issues. I wont hold them to the fire over the small stuff but the big ticket items better be working. I have no problem walking over any of it, Ill drive back home the 9 hours...I dont care.

The one thing I cant wrap my head around is the sidewall of the tire rubs off. I think it has to do with tire black or armorall? on the tires?. They said they were done a year ago. havent seen any date code yet. Didnt get to the point of climbing under the rig to find out. why the code isnt on both sidewalls is beyond me. The are goodyear tires.

So i guess my question is this a respectable deal if everything checks out oK? Ive been pricing them elsewhere firm at 38K but I am not up to driving back from texas. lol
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 11:40 PM   #2

Make sure to double check that, Florida is a bit odd, they want you to pay sales tax for it in FL, get temporary plates from the Florida DMV then file a form for Florida to credit your home state with the sales tax (with FL keeping the difference if your home state tax is lower), the kicker is they don't have reciprocal agreements with all states, so if you live in certain states and buy an RV in Florida you may get double billed for sales tax.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Make sure to double check that, Florida is a bit odd, they want you to pay sales tax for it in FL, get temporary plates from the Florida DMV then file a form for Florida to credit your home state with the sales tax (with FL keeping the difference if your home state tax is lower), the kicker is they don't have reciprocal agreements with all states, so if you live in certain states and buy an RV in Florida you may get double billed for sales tax.
I will. Ive had 2 dealers say nc isn't reciprocal and we dont pay them. What i might do is see what i can get from nc and bypass fl all together. The tag/title is ohio to add to the fun.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:33 AM   #4

Make sure the brake recall has been done assuming this is the W22 chassis. Also check for exhaust manifold leaks. These are probably the two issues with the chassis.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
......For what we have looked at, all the super clean units the dealers claim that smell so moldy it sticks in your nose. This has been odor free, except the people smell from spending winters in FL in it. With the mosture meter we can tell roof needs to be resealed but hasnt gone years needing to be done. ...
With this MH being in the target price range and in better than average shape (if I read your post correctly) than you may have a keeper.
For the smells; Ozone generator would probably be best. We have used Odoban in rental house and it even removes pet odors. Doesn't smell great while being sprayed but that quickly goes away. My point is that your "new to you" rig can smell new with a little work.

Good luck!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:02 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Make sure the brake recall has been done assuming this is the W22 chassis. Also check for exhaust manifold leaks. These are probably the two issues with the chassis.

X2 also be sure your Frig if a Norcold which in sure it is has the recall box on it.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #7

Seems like a good price if all the big items work. We purchased our 03 Adventurer 35U 2 years ago. I've replaced the ignitor for water heater and the start caps on the AC unit, less than $50. Had an exhaust leak and I opted to install headers rather than new studs and gaskets. It's been a good unit for us. The roof being fiberglass needs sealing at the vents, end caps and along the gutters where the roof tucks down inside it. That's an important item. When the sealant goes along the gutter wind can get under the roof and lift it. As for the roof itself you can leave it alone if you want. I scrubbed ours and put Mop and Glow on it. Easy to do and it's held up well for over a year. The W22 chassis is a good chassis, handles well. Combined with the 8.1l and Allison trans, in my opinion, it's the best gas MH combo available.

We spent 2 months in FL this year. No 50 amp sites available so we only had 30 amps. We used the AC, water heater on electric and whatever else we wanted. The energy management system handles it all with no issues. Anyway, if the unit checks out I would go for it.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #8

If you post the VIN in the Workhorse chassis section, someone can check the chassis recall status including the brakes.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #9

Thanks for the info everyone. Put the deposit on it today. Im a nervous wreck thinking about it. Its a lot of cash to drop on something that is fun and not necessary.

I have the vin. If anyone has access to carfax and would run it for me I will pm you the vin. Not looking for accidents, more change of ownership and where its lived its life.

Heading to workhorse section to have them check the chassis.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:03 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Thanks for the info everyone. Put the deposit on it today. Im a nervous wreck thinking about it. Its a lot of cash to drop on something that is fun and not necessary.

I have the vin. If anyone has access to carfax and would run it for me I will pm you the vin. Not looking for accidents, more change of ownership and where its lived its life.

I don't think a car or anything older than 10yrs will give you that info? The best place to look is in the owners packet. I found all kinds of receipts of service and things he had done.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:22 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

PM me the vin and your email. I should be able to run the car fax for you.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
PM me the vin and your email. I should be able to run the car fax for you.
Pm sent. Thank you.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:14 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Opinion on price of 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R

Just emailed you the car fax. Good luck with the purchase!
I just purchased a 2005 Voyage 38J. Similar layout with 1 more slide in living room. Paid $35500 and it has 30,000 miles on it if that helps in your decision.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
Just emailed you the car fax. Good luck with the purchase!
I just purchased a 2005 Voyage 38J. Similar layout with 1 more slide in living room. Paid $35500 and it has 30,000 miles on it if that helps in your decision.
Lucky you I wish I was that lucky. Been slim pickins here. Ive seen some decent deals out west in CA and TX the prices have been decent but the cost to get there and back prohibitive. Found some up north but they spent the winters with snow on their roof and moldy smelling. I lived in that region and had friends looking at them for us.

Tags
adventurer, vent, winnebago