Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #29

air leveling

Our coach came with it. If I bought another coach it would be a plus factor. Just so trouble free. Push a button and you are level very quickly on the tires.

In our small RV club with about 35 coaches only two have leveling on tires. Ours and a Foretravel. Last campout weekend before last one of our close friends with a Winnebago 35' DP and auto jacks had to putz around with his extensively when he pulled them up. One was balky. So he got out can of WD40 and sprayed. Then used shovel to push up jack. That is not normal on good working jack system, but IMHO everything else being equal air leveling is the way to go.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
I must be missing something. Our 08 Tour, with four jack legs, requires only a "one button push" to set up.

Or if the only available site is not so good, each jack legs can be lowered individually as needed. So far, so good.

Kerry

Old 11-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I've never had air leveling, but think it would be superior to hydraulic. I watched some big rigs set up and it looks simple, the examples I've seen they just let some air out of the bags and the coach settled down to level. Nice thing about it to me was it gets the entrance steps closer to the ground and I've never seen an air rig have to use a portable step.
Almost all air ride coaches allow you to dump the air from the bags to lower the coach, regardless of the leveling system. Although I've met more than one coach owner that didn't realize that

Steve
Old 11-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Regarding the frame twisting issue: Why would the air bag system be any different from the hydraulic system if each levels at all 4 corners. And could that explain the recent crack in my windshield?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #33

An air bag leveling system has your coach being supported by the same points on your motor home frame as it rides on down the road. So if your windshield is not cracking as you drive along, likely it will not crack when you level using an air level system.

The other issues with jack based systems are if you put them down in mud or wet and the ground freezes you can be in trouble. And in the summer jacks can sink and make big dents in hot pavement. From what I have seen though jack systems are able to work on ground that is more uneven. Just make sure you don't end up with all four corners off the ground. Could bend some jacks.

Bottom line. I have it. The operation is really really simple and easy. Using the tires and airbags seems like a really simple solution. I don't understand why it is only on high end coaches. Seems like it would be cheaper to implement than a jack system.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #34

Can an air leveling system be added? I have the Power Gear hydraulic and I would use the air if I had a choice.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:56 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukenrock View Post

Can an air leveling system be added? I have the Power Gear hydraulic and I would use the air if I had a choice.
It sure can if you have the money to invest for the parts and labor, that is if you are not installing it yourself.

Check with REX on the Monaco Owners Board as he installed it on his coach, and I believe he installed it himself.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Tradition has both, user select.
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
We have both on our MH. Mentioned to DW this morning we got 2 leveling systems, 3 heat pumps, 2 furnace options with HH, plus elec heat from fireplace. Sometimes i don't know whether to scratch my nose or pick my head!!
rhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #38

Thx...I'll check it out. I'd try it myself if it's doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
It sure can if you have the money to invest for the parts and labor, that is if you are not installing it yourself.

Check with REX on the Monaco Owners Board as he installed it on his coach, and I believe he installed it himself.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
airbags are not available for Monaco's with tag axles, you get air only and two more airbags and shocks
Old 06-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Sdelerio, not sure I understand your previous post. Air bags are avalable on Monaco's with tag axles. I have a tag axle and have ten airbags total and an air leveling system. If my MH had the Cummins ISM-500 motor then you can get three leveling jacks also with the jacks but leveling jacks were not an option with the Detroit motor.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelerio View Post
airbags are not available for Monaco's with tag axles, you get air only and two more airbags and shocks
This is a VERY confusing post.

Please explain. Thanks.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Are you discussing air bags to level the system instead of hydraulic jacks or air suspension systems? They're not the same thing, are they?