Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Air bags and air leveling systems go hand in hand. To have an air leveling system you have to have air bags because it changes the bag pressures to level the MH. An air leveling system does not use jacks.

Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #44
Monaco Owners Club
An air leveling system uses the air suspension bags to do the leveling. In leveling mode, the system bypasses the ride height control valves and adjusts the height of the suspension airbags based on which way it needs to go to get it level.

My unit only has air leveling and I love it, like many of others. One of the things I like about it is the ability to raise the whole coach to go over high points without getting high centered or scraping things. Used that feature several times. We also spend a lot of time on the road and doing the truck stop / Walmart one-nighter thing. It's great not to have to worry about leaving jack impressions in the asphalt but still be able to be level. I've not yet encountered a campsite / parking lot where I've not been able to level it. I carry a set of leveling blocks just in case but have not had to use them yet.

1999 HR Navigator 42DSS
2008 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited
dashdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #45
I have had motorhomes with hydraulic leveling system only,and both hydraulic and air leveling systems. My my most recent motorhome came with hydraulic only and I went to HWH in Moscow, IA and had air leveling added. I have found that both systems have a time and place for use. That being said if I had only one system I would opt for air leveling because it has more versatility. I use the hydraulic system when I have my motorhome in storage or parked for extended period. Air leveling is great for overnighters and when getting fuel at pumps that are on a 5 deg incline. Also I believe air leveling put less torque on the chassis which could otherwise lead to other structural issues. This is just another perspective.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #46
I've had both and prefer the air bags. The last coach I owned had air leveling and at over 15 tons it didn't bounce around at all when leveled. Speaking of that, when I visited 5th wheel friends I would notice the bounce anytime anyone took a step!

GeneRV is offline   Reply With Quote