Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #15

If you are parked, lets say for a month, do you think the tires can deform or take a set if you just have air bags? I would think jacks would be the way to go if you plan on extended stays and both systems if you plan on mixing it up a bit. If the tires sit in one position too long you could get a nice little rumble going down the road. Does anyone have an experience with lumpy tires and how long you sit in one spot before a problem arises?
stanandnancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #16
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Romeo, adding air leveling is a LOT more than just adding a few air lines and a controller. I did the install myself and I am very capable of doing anything to a motorhome other than an engine overhaul. It took me about 5 days total time, all new air lines to the bags (I have 8), all new air line fittings, lots and lots of electrical connections, addition of an auxiliary air compressor, air manifolds for the front and rear, figuring out how to mount the air manifolds and air compressor, and then there is the brains of the system - the controller which is a small computer, and a key pad to operate it all. Not a simple job. Would I do it again, you bet. I love the air leveling and rarely ever use the jacks.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #17
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Unless the site is extremely un-level, My air leveling system has me level in a matter of a few seconds. I love it.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Romeo, adding air leveling is a LOT more than just adding a few air lines and a controller...
Rex...

Not surprised... no retro-fit seems to be as easy as we think. I wanted to add auto gen start and foung it was a major task if one doesnt have a Onan Genset.

Thanks for the info, that helps understand more about the automatic system.

StanAndNancy...

I have the "flat on one side" tire probem every time I take the golf cart out. The trailer tires go "thump-thump-thump" for about 5 miles before they warm up. I remember this from many years ago, maybe in the 60's... I think it was Rayon tires that did this, whereas Nylon tires didnt... (if memory serves). I have no idea what they are using today for tire cords, but I suspect that any tire can take a set. I think it was in Michelin documents that I saw the recommendation to take weight off the tires when in storage. And that is why I do it with my jacks.... at least until GaryKD convinces me not to use the jacks in storage (waiting for his reply in another thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/stor...tml#post723192 ).
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanandnancy View Post

Does anyone have an experience with lumpy tires and how long you sit in one spot before a problem arises?
I have been a full-timer for almost 7 years and have Air Leveling. Some of that, the coach would sit for years in one place as I had a full-time job. When finally taking the coach out, I had NO problem with any thumping of tires or flat spots. My tires are the 22.5's and I think tires of today's components are less likely to thump versus tires of yesteryear.

Air leveling is the ONLY way to go.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #20

We have the air leveling and no jacks. Works great. Much less hassle than jacks. BTW to the previous posters who said the compressor goes on sometimes when you don't want it to. I just turn the air leveler off after it gets level. That way no "checking" at various times to make noise and relevel.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five2o View Post
I prefer hydraulic jacks, they are very good for crushing my beer cans therefore increasing storage space in the basement..
But that is always offset with the increased storage need in the black water tank.
Mageksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Air leveling is great. Drop the air, level the rig, mix a fresh one.

1. No jacks to settle into the soft mud.
2. No twisting of the coach.
3. No jacks to break.
4. No jacks to hang up or creep out.
5. If a site is not level, usually a few plastic leveling blocks make the adjustment.
6. If the site is too out of level, I move on.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
We have the air bag suspension and love it...... just push a button and the rig levels itself for us...... plus, you won't damage any blacktop or parking area with air bags..... too simple a solution to not have them!
If the site is that ca-ca, do you really want to be "perched" on jacks!?!?!!? Just move to a more level spot and let the system do it's thing!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #24

more air leveling questions

I have an '04 Beaver Monterey. It has air ride and 3 point hydraulic jacks. My question is can I add automatic air leveling to my existing air ride?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstireman View Post
I have an '04 Beaver Monterey. It has air ride and 3 point hydraulic jacks. My question is can I add automatic air leveling to my existing air ride?
HWH gave me a phone quote of $4K for an '05 Beaver Monterey (RR8R chassis) without removing the hydraulic jacks. Work would be done at the HWH factory in Moscow, IA.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #26

We are new to this site, and have just started doing our research to buy a used DP this spring. Is air leveling common? Since I was unaware that it existed, I have not been looking for it, but I have not noticed that any of the MH for sale descriptions have specified air leveling (?).
gregbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner View Post
We are new to this site, and have just started doing our research to buy a used DP this spring. Is air leveling common? Since I was unaware that it existed, I have not been looking for it, but I have not noticed that any of the MH for sale descriptions have specified air leveling (?).
I think you will most likely find coaches that have jacks versus air leveling. It's more common on the upper end coaches and the real heavy ones.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've never had air leveling, but think it would be superior to hydraulic. I watched some big rigs set up and it looks simple, the examples I've seen they just let some air out of the bags and the coach settled down to level. Nice thing about it to me was it gets the entrance steps closer to the ground and I've never seen an air rig have to use a portable step. We have to use a portable step quite often as the only way to level our motorhome is to raise it. I imagine that air rigs may need to go up once in a while but I think it would be not very often. And the fact that you can let the air out and lower the whole rig first and then raise part of it if needed would mean it still ends up closer to the ground then you would with my rig even on the same site.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote