Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
I just traded my 2003 Bounder. We loved it. Had the rear half bath. We bought a 2009 Gulf Stream Crescendo c40k 7500 miles. Listed for $144900 on the high side. Got $66,000 for the Bounder, way on the high side. So we traded for 78900. We have bought from dealers who will give you great prices if you take the coach as is. I will never do that again. I will only buy from a reputable dealer who will stand by what he sells, new or used. An extended warranty is a must. And sometimes if you wave the dealer the warranty bone or at least dangle it, you might get a better deal. But as someone else said. Be prepared to walk. Prices are coming down on used DP's and there are tons on the market. Good Luck.

Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #16

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Latest Move to Purchase a Fleetwood

Ok All...

First thanks for all your advice and wishes. I went to the big Boston RV Show yesterday and was dismayed at the lack of motorized units on display. I guess that shows where the economy still is in relation to big-ticket buying....

Now the latest, one of the dealerships that I have been watching got in a pre-owned 2005 Providence a few days ago and I checked it out last night. The dealer admitted that it was purchased at auction down South, so I am assuming that he was able to pay less than wholesale for it. The NADA range is 92K-110K and he is now at $99,000. After looking at it, I have made a list of issues that I would like addressed by the dealer, mostly comestic and cleaning, but I have one larger concern. As I walked around the coach, a couple of the compartment doors were not flush with the adjacent doors. I opened and closed them to ascertain whether they were just "ajar" but they were fully closed and latched and were still a fraction off of being flush with the other doors.

Is this something that I should be concerned about? Does it indicate an accident or similar major problem (the non-flush doors were on loacted on both sides of the coach), or is it something that can be adjusted?

I am contemplating offering the dealer something in the vicinity of $89,000. What do you think of that figure in light of the obvious visual wear on the interior and such...???

Thank you once again for your opinions.

Faith in Chilly Massachusetts

Old 02-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Providence and Excursion are sister models - no different except for minor trim.

The Revolution is a definite step above Providence/Excursion, as others have already told you. Difference chassis, built on a different assembly line, using higher grade materials and better attention to detail. It's an American Coach with a few features left off and sold at a lower price point. All other things being equal, I'd take the Rev over any of the others - in a heart beat!

If you haggle the price down first, you are going to get low wholesale book for your trade and not a penny more. Figure maybe half the NADA low retail at best. You only get the discount once.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #18

Don't know what dealers are doing when a buyer is trading a MH on another MH. My dealer offered me $10k BELOW low whole sale for a loaded three year old 5th wheel. He said they had way too many TTs and 5th wheels and could not get rid of them.

I managed to sell it privately...made about $16k above what the dealer would give.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
My parents have a 03' Excursion. About a year ago they were at a dealership looking at new Tiffins. Were offered 30k on their trade....Thus there was no deal....The Excursion is their 3rd pusher (bought new), which they have kept the longest and which they seem the happiest with....FYI The 03' Excursion's only have about 6' 2" of headroom inside. The 04's have a much higher height, inside and out. My parent really like the lower height.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
You should be concerned with all aspects of the coach. My 2003 Bounder had a basement door that did not line up. 4 months later the door is in my hand hanging by the pistons. I was qouted $1200 to repalce it. Open the doors, move them side to side in their tracks. Check everything. Get the extended warranty, and offer at least 15% below asking. All they can do is say no...There will another motorhome.
Trust me we bought 3 in a year and half to get to the right one...Peace D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What dealer are you talking to locally? We got ours from Marty's RV.
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #22

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
local dealership

Campers Inn in Kingston, NH has the 2005 Providence prices at $99,000. But my Favorite is still the 2006 Excursion that is on consignment at Camping World in Chichester. The dealer at Camping World insists that the owner of that unit will not take a penny less than $111,000. I wish that I could negotiate directly with that owner, maybe I could chanage his mind, but while the RV is in a consignment contract, I have to reconcile to trying for the 2005.

One interesting addition to this tale. Last night I noticed that Camping World states in their online ads that they will not be undersold. If I found a 2006 Excursion for lower than $111,000 would they be obligated to sell to me for the lower price or does this advertisement only pertain to units that they own outright??? Interesting idea....

Old 02-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #23

I like the looks of the Revolution, that's all I can offer on Fleetwood.

I would suggest you look at all of the RV sales sites and see what the ASKING prices look like for what you want. Selling prices will always be less. Although the economy is turning around and the RV industry is beginning to turn around, it is clearly still a buyer’s market. Don't be embarrassed to offer much less.

If you are comfortable that you can give the coach a good inspection, buying from an individual may yield you a better deal. If not, most reputable dealers offer a very short window to identify things that need to be fixed. I bought a 2008 Beaver Contessa early last year and I’m sure the selling dealer spent well over a grand on parts from things I found later.

Some of the best deals may be on orphaned coaches, those where the company has been acquired and may or may not still have factory support. This shouldn’t be a big fear as most things that may fail come from suppliers and not the RV company that built the RV.

You will also loose when it comes to trades. You are doing exactly what you should do. Always negotiate your deal without the trade. It’s important to understand what the RV’s price is when you’re comparing RVs. You may have to sell your RV yourself or through a consignment. BTW, some dealers would prefer you consign the RV to them rather than them taking it on trade.

Best of luck on your search.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #24

I noticed earlier on a mention od dealer auctions. Is it possible to buy from these auctions? I will be paying cash when I purchase later on this year and have a friend who will appraise for me. If not, what about public auctions or even dealing directly with a selling bank or finance company. Any knowledge or thoughts appreciated.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Definitely look into the service at the dealer you will purchase from.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
Definitely look into the service at the dealer you will purchase from.
But only if you'll get service from them. I bought my rig from a dealer that is over 300 miles away...there is a dealer much closer, but he did not have what we wanted, but he's very happy to due repairs/warranty work.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #27

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Question More Info and Narrowing it Down...

After listening and reading the messages from all of you, I am certainly educated but every bit of info brings new questions. We have given out lowest price to the two local dealers for a 2006 Excursion and a 2005 Providence. They are both 39C floorplans - 3 slides, which I do like. Neither one wants my unit in trade, so I will be stuck with it until I sell it...

While I am waiting for their response, I have found a 2004 Revolution. It has only two slides and one of them is a kitchen slide which makes me a little worried...(all those pipes moving, etc...) They have made me an offer of taking my unit in trade and letting me have the Revolution for $79,000. Sounds like a good deal?? The Revolution is a step up from Excursion/Providence and it looks to be in good shape. It has 28,000 miles. Cummins 350/Frieghtliner Chassis. A few concerns though...

1. The dealer is located a ways from me. It is in Kentucky and I am not sure how to work the deal long-distance. Has anyone heard of Day's RV in Corbin, KY? I may post this query in another forum to get that answer also...

2. Has anyone used an RV transport company to move RV's and if so any good ones?

Thank you all so much for your kind assistance.

Faith in Massachusetts
Old 02-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My "almost" brother in law bought his motorhome from the place you are looking at.

Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying a new rv, choosing a brand, fleetwood, trading an rv