Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #1

Opinions on '06 Southwind 32VS

While browsing RVT, Craigslist and RV Trader, DW found a pretty good deal on an '06 Southwind 32 VS. That particular model has been on our radar for awhile, buy exceptional deals seem to be few and far between. There has always been something to disqualify it from further consideration.

Once again, we come to you for help on determining if this will be a good investment. To the current or previous owners of the 32VS, or those who have experience with them, help us out with what to look out for. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Lindan n Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindan n Jim View Post
While browsing RVT, Craigslist and RV Trader, DW found a pretty good deal on an '06 Southwind 32 VS. That particular model has been on our radar for awhile, buy exceptional deals seem to be few and far between. There has always been something to disqualify it from further consideration.

Once again, we come to you for help on determining if this will be a good investment. To the current or previous owners of the 32VS, or those who have experience with them, help us out with what to look out for. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I had a 2002 32vs on a Ford chassis from 2008 to 2014 (40,000 miles). Well built and I had no major problems. There were two design problems for which Ford had developed solutions - water ingestion into the intake and a creaking front suspension. These may have been fixed by 2006.

Great tank capacity for that size coach. Battery capacity was typical - only 200 amps.

The original shocks were worn out by 15,000 miles. I replaced with Koni and handling was much improved.

The coach did not climb mountains well but never overheated. Engine noise was quite loud. I think these issues are endemic to gas coaches. Later transmissions may help these matters somewhat.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #3

Had an 07 32 VS and really liked it. Had very little trouble the entire time we owned it. The only dislike that my wife had was the light carpet. I didn't realize how poorly it drove until we traded for new gas coach on a 252" wheelbase. The 32VS was really squirrelly being passed by trucks or in crosswinds, it could have been some suspension issues but being our first coach we didn't know any better.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Lindan n Jim".....Personally, I think the Fleetwood Bounder/Southwind/Terra/Fiesta have been solid coaches throughout the years. That's one of the reasons it's hard to find one at a good price......just too popular.

With that said, I bought a 2004 Fleetwood Terra 32V. One issue we had that was a pain.....there was no space to locate the black tank directly under the toilet. Consequently, they built a black tank with an upper extension, that extended over the frame rail and under the toilet. The extension had a slope built in that theoretically allowed the waste to hit this slope and then slide into the main tank. The problem.....it plugged all the time. Part of the issue was that the toilet tube was inserted too deep and was only a couple of inches above this sloping part. I corrected this, but it was still an issue.

I know that Fleetwood eventually recognized this as a problem and corrected it, but I don't know in what year they did that. It's pretty easy to determine if it has this type of tank. Just look underneath at the black tank and see if it has an extension. No extension, no issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
southwind