Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
The "BEST" diesel pusher is one that meets your needs, fits your budget and performs well (not a lot of maintenance or repairs) for the time you own it.

Oh - and sells for more than you paid for it if you get a really good one.

Each MH brand has good ones, better ones and best ones as well as a few dogs. Most operate on a couple brands of chassis with only a couple engine brand options.

Much depends upon your expectations.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I'll tell you, my favorite floorplan out there right now is the Allegro 33AA or the 38 with bunks.

I don't like the size of the A/C units. I'm nervous of the single pane windows - love everything else. What I'm nervous about is keeping it below 80 degrees in the full sun of summer. But boy do I love the floorplan! I also like the engine / tranny combo on the 33aa - great package.

Ok next, you absolutely can do whatever you want on 120k or less - trust me on this. Don't spend a penny more.

I bought a 2005 fleetwood revolution, 40', single axle for something like 90k.

You could consider the Country Coach... boy do I love them! They made a 36 foot tag axle that's beautiful!!! But even a 2005, 6, 7, 8 are selling close to 200k (and for a good reason) at some point they changed the baggage doors to open outward instead upward ... ok so what? now what?

Hang with a major name, you'll always be able to find info and people all over know all about em. Fleetwood, Monaco, Holiday Rambler (bought by Monaco, both recently bought by fleetwood....), Tiffin, Newmar, Forest River, You'll always have info at your fingertips. Buy a Bluebird Wanderlodge, (cool machine if you love willie nelson and the 80's) but you'll be stuck with a very limited amount of info and mechanics - which you will need sooner or later.

There are not many diesel's that are short.

Google PPL

Google Lazy Days (and understand that lazy days lists HIGH, but will take far less - a buddy bought a bus ((a forest river Berkshire only 3 years old)) for $85k when it was listed for $156k

If your budget is truly 120k, this is a great buy right now
2010 Discovery By Fleetwood 40X for Sale - D746 - PPL Motor Homes

So is this with bunk beds
2009 Discovery By Fleetwood 40G for Sale - D119 - PPL Motor Homes

A winner - revolutions have them deeeeep slides (another thing you might have thunk of yourself)
2007 Revolution Le 40E for Sale - D750 - PPL Motor Homes

Holy cow! A 38' bounder diesel!!! Good machine, they only made them in a DP for a little while, and everyone who owns one loves it, way under your budget AND a full wall slide!
2007 Bounder Turbo Diesel 38V for Sale - D160NB - PPL Motor Homes

Camelot! Good machine - this is what the boondockers mentioned above live in - again recall that monaco and holiday rambler has a chevy/gmc thing for a while - same buses, different finished - so the scepter is the same as the camelot if memory serves..
2006 Monaco Camelot 40PAQ for Sale - D760 - PPL Motor Homes

Maybe they live in an ambassador? 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40PLQ for Sale - D725 - PPL Motor Homes

A patriot thunder! What a beast that machine was. Always enjoy seeing them in rv parks - this is the "beaver" brand spoken about. Solid machines.
2002 Patriot Thunder ASSUMED BRANDY for Sale - D740CL - PPL Motor Homes

mmmkay? How long is your current unit??

Also, I put my 40' into some spaces that would make your hair turn grey - so a few feet is a few feet - if it's 40 ok ----- big difference between 40 and 26, but not so much between 40 and 38 and 36. Although I'm in your boat... after owning a 40' NOT full time, but major major part time, I would like a little 34 footer ---- but we also don't have kids.... maybe your's are grown and gone, or maybe you're toting em around with you?

My biggest thought? Don't spend a lot - it's just a thing, a thing that gets you some enjoyment - if you were loaded with cash, full timing and just had a pension for stuff that's very pretty - then go for it - but on the other hand, you need a great, trouble free toy / motel on the road for some family fun - it's all too easy to get all caught up in the numbers of the thing.

I do like the Phateons! Here's a quick search

Tiffin Phaeton Class A - New & Used RVs for Sale on RVT.com - Page 1 of 7

Click the 36 and 35's at the upper section of the page.

ooo here's one with a mercedes engine, I hear good things about those and in your range

2007 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale in Williamston, South Carolina | Porter's RV Sales | RVT.com - 84888 with Video

WOW.....Lots of good stuff there Plasma, my heads spinning from all the information and thanks for the link as I've never heard of rvt.com just been using rvtrader and Craigslist. I would like to find something Within 200 or 300 miles from me in Illinois just for convenience.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
check out the magna here

Motorhomes for Sale | Country Coach Corporation

I know you said you wanna stay close and I get that, but this is a great company here.
ALL Pre Owned motorhomes Inventory

Look at the:

11 Berkshire (longer than you want)
04 Journey 34' !! what a price!
01 foretravel (a beast)
TOOO bad on that 05 intrigue pending - great machine
02 foretravel 36'
99 beaver patriot
06 endeavour

I have faith in this group from referrals.

Another highly reputable company right across the street from country coach (up in your neck of the woods)
Inventory | Premier RV
2000 intrigue 36'
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:27 AM   #18

The best is subjective. ANY one of them can be a money pit if you don't use due diligence. GET THE MAINT. RECORDS. That's the most important item. I don't care if it's a used Foretravel, or a Berkshire, without the maint. records....I walk.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:06 PM   #19

Do yourself a favor and make a list of things you want....I just went through 2 years of researching motor homes. I toured factories and talked to people at the service centers waiting to have their units repaired. Over that time, I switched brands 3 times before I finally bought our coach. The following is what I had decided I needed but you will have your own list

Side radiator
Tag axle
Floor plan that was usable while slides were in
450 hp
Good factory service center

My final 3 brands were Tiffin, Newmar and Entegra. Either of these are great brands but I Finally settled on the Entegra.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Many tag axle coaches actually have a tighter turning radius than a non tag coach. Particularly if you can raise or unload the tag.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Yep, our 45' Magna w/tag raised turns as well as our '02 40' non tag Dutch Star.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #21

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
A patriot thunder! What a beast that machine was. Always enjoy seeing them in rv parks - this is the "beaver" brand spoken about. Solid machines.
2002 Patriot Thunder ASSUMED BRANDY for Sale - D740CL - PPL Motor Homes
Be careful with your dates because by 2002 the Beavers were pretty much Monaco coaches with Beaver trim. I have a 2000 Patriot Thunder and it is a delight to drive. Put a C-12 engine in a <33,000 pound chassis and you have quite some machine. I was told by a former Beaver employee that the company had even staged "drag races" for these rigs at some of its rallies!
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
You could consider the Country Coach... boy do I love them! They made a 36 foot tag axle that's beautiful!!! But even a 2005, 6, 7, 8 are selling close to 200k (and for a good reason) at some point they changed the baggage doors to open outward instead upward ... ok so what? now what?
Our Magna actually uses three different door designs, passenger side are upward opening, drivers side are side opening and the wet bay is "pantograph" so it goes straight up. The difference is the depth of the slides, the deeper main slide has the side opening doors.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #23

What about these....

2003 American Coach American Eagle Eagle, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale By Owner in Dubuque, Iowa | RVT.com - 88968

2006 Newmar Kountry Star 3910, Swisher IA - 114220521 - RVTrader.com
Old 04-28-2015, 10:05 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine yours not so much lol
Old 04-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pds47 View Post
Mine yours not so much lol
I don't understand that....
Old 04-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurph44 View Post
We are looking to upgrade into a pre owned diesel pusher and was wondering what others opinions are on the best out there. We are looking for something with a TV in the living area, a dinette and at least one recliner.

Tiffin would be my first choice but I've never had one and was looking for others opinions and experiences.
Age and price range is what it's all about with a question like that.
I'm a quality over newness type of guy, but not everybody feels that way and a good thing too, otherwise they're wouldn't be any good used units out there.
Having said that, I like the BB Wanderlodge and the last one was made in 09. I feel that these are forever coaches and can be remodeled over the years, like an old yacht. Thing is, we and especially DW, like a 1 1/2 bath and haven't seen one in a BB, as yet.
Check out some of them here.... Blue Bird Wanderlodge and Motor Coach Brokering Service
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #27

2002 Country Coach Magna 37' Triple Slide - RV & Motorhome Classifieds

Very unique in that it is a:

-37' Tag (Great stability for towing, higher CCC)
-C12 455 (Same as Doc's in his Beaver.)
(IMO, the 2002 era C12 and ISM, were both very mature and well sorted out power plants. Both provide 3 Stage Jake Compression Braking.)
-CC Magna's in 2002, were craftsmanship built coaches. Very well documented, and very easy to support today.)

If we were ready to downsize from 40', this coach would really be worth looking at. The interior would be looked at to confirm it would meet out livability needs, and see if we would also need any customization budget allowance to modify to our personal preferences. And that is important, as what we like, may not be what someone else likes. I feel if the coach is of high quality and provides a good foundation, that they warrant customization to fit the owners needs.

May not be what he OP is looking for, but it sure meets his size needs, CCC, towing capacity. And with the trailer behind him, he can carry a bit extra coach things in their, if the tag's usage of one of the basements is problematic for him in the 37' size. (Large pass thru bay, provides more storage then many coaches in this size!)

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 04-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #28

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurph44 View Post
Thanks for some great responses. We are looking in the 120K range but could go higher with the right unit. We plan on using it to mainly travel and live in in the southern states this coming winter, not full time. Yesterday we looked at a Tiffin Allegro 34ft and decided we wanted something in the Phaeton category. I think a tag axel is too big because we also like to go to many different dirt track races during the summer months and need to have something a bit smaller for maneuverability at those tight places they put you in at the track.

Thanks again.....
Tiffins are highly regarded coaches.. BUT I would stay away from any that have rear radiators... I was across the road from a fellow who had an 06 Phaeton who lost a serpentine belt on the road and it took out the wiring for the electric fan and required a tow to the campground and a couple of mobile guys to do the repair and fabricate of the brackets and wiring for all of this..
Most of the time they are OK but when not.. Really not..
Ron

04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel