Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #1

Question Opinions on Best Diesel Pusher

We are looking to upgrade into a pre owned diesel pusher and was wondering what others opinions are on the best out there. We are looking for something with a TV in the living area, a dinette and at least one recliner.

Tiffin would be my first choice but I've never had one and was looking for others opinions and experiences.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurph44 View Post
We are looking to upgrade into a pre owned diesel pusher and was wondering what others opinions are on the best out there. We are looking for something with a TV in the living area, a dinette and at least one recliner.

Tiffin would be my first choice but I've never had one and was looking for others opinions and experiences.
We got rid of our 2 month old 2015 Georgetown and got a 2010 42Ft Tiffin Phaeton QBH with 1 1/2 baths. Easier to drive than the Georgetown. Way less noise and about three times comfortable. The Tag axle makes passing 18 wheelers wind wave unnoticeable. It also climbs the Rockies much easier. I am averaging 7.5 mpg pulling a Jeep on the flats. If you look for any Tiffin before 2013 make sure all factory recalls were done and the "Big Three" (wet bay floor, slide and roof rails) warranty repairs. A quick call to Tiffin with the Vin and they can tell you. If you are near Red Bay Al, they fix them free if 8 years old or newer.

PhaetonRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #3

Add a bit more info, such as size and budget range, and it would help prove some more feedback.

IMO, pick your budget range, and drop years to remaining within budget, and buy the highest quality coach that you can. I feel that quality lasts, and these can provide great foundations and are worthy of customizing to what is important to you.

I recommend side radiator, tag, and buying the largest displacement engine you can fine. On braking assist, I prefer in this order: Retarder (usually means Foretravel), 3 Stage Jake Compression, 2 Stage Jake Compression, Exhaust, no brake assist.

Some high quality coaches that are usually mentioned in threads like this include:

Tier 1

-Prevost conversion
-Newell

Tier 2

- Wanderlodge
- Foretravel - (Some newer models are lower Tier 1)
- Monaco - Executive or higher models, and the other Beaver, Holiday Rambler equivalents.
- Newmar - Mountain Aire on up
- Country Coach - Allure on up
- Travel Supreme
- Older Beaver (pre shift to normal Monaco) - Patriot on up
- Enter
- Alpine

These are so subjective, and so much depends on the size, and budget.

When going down the food chain, you will find some very respectable values in the Winnebago/Itasca line, Rexhall, Tiffen (I left Tiffen off of the above Tier 2, depending upon year, Allergro Bus would slot in nicely.), and then the mid levels of Newmar, Monaco too.

All again subjective, with many differences of opinions. And, I'm banging this out on a droid, while the wife is driving, so just off the top of my head... Probably missed some, and for sure not knocking any brand or rig by how this listing...

Do some searches on this, and you will find some great threads with good info!

Best,
Smitty
Old 04-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wanderlodge. IIRC build by the Bluebird (bus) company
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:33 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Add a bit more info, such as size and budget range, and it would help prove some more feedback.

IMO, pick your budget range, and drop years to remaining within budget, and buy the highest quality coach that you can. I feel that quality lasts, and these can provide great foundations and are worthy of customizing to what is important to you.

I recommend side radiator, tag, and buying the largest displacement engine you can fine. On braking assist, I prefer in this order: Retarder (usually means Foretravel), 3 Stage Jake Compression, 2 Stage Jake Compression, Exhaust, no brake assist.

Some high quality coaches that are usually mentioned in threads like this include:

Tier 1

-Prevost conversion
-Newell

Tier 2

- Wanderlodge
- Monaco - Executive or higher models, and the other Beaver, Holiday Rambler equivalents.
- Travel Supreme
- Enter
- Alpine

When going down the food chain, you will find some very respectable values in the Winnebago/Itasca line, Rexhall, Tiffen (I left Tiffen off of the above Tier 2, depending upon year, Allergro Bus would slot in nicely.), and then the mid levels of Newmar, Monaco too.

All again subjective, with many differences of opinions. And, I'm banging this out on a droid, while the wife is driving, so just off the top of my head... Probably missed some, and for sure not knocking any brand or rig by how this listing...

Best,
Smitty
Well said sir - and "best" is such a weird word... cause best means different things to different people.

To some "best" is that it cost a million bucks and is very shiny.
To some "best" means the most economical but trouble free, but still fun adventure for me and my family.
To some "best" means it's perfectly cozy for my wife and I.
To some "best" means I spent very little and we're cruising the country now
To some "best" means that mechanically, this thing is a very well built beast.

Personal desires and thoughts about how one intends to use an RV, AND what a "good rv" IS make up everything.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post

Tier 1

-Prevost conversion
-Newell

Tier 2

- Wanderlodge
- Travel Supreme
- Enter
- Alpine

Best,
Smitty

I agree with most of Smitty's post. I would expand a couple of models. The Monaco Dynasty, while slotting in below the Executive, may be the best bang for the buck in high end coaches.

I would also include the later years of Dutchstar tag axle coaches.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #7

Thanks for some great responses. We are looking in the 120K range but could go higher with the right unit. We plan on using it to mainly travel and live in in the southern states this coming winter, not full time. Yesterday we looked at a Tiffin Allegro 34ft and decided we wanted something in the Phaeton category. I think a tag axel is too big because we also like to go to many different dirt track races during the summer months and need to have something a bit smaller for maneuverability at those tight places they put you in at the track.

Thanks again.....
Old 04-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for some great responses. We are looking in the 120K range but could go higher with the right unit. We plan on using it to mainly travel and live in in the southern states this coming winter, not full time. Yesterday we looked at a Tiffin Allegro 34ft and decided we wanted something in the Phaeton category. I think a tag axel is too big because we also like to go to many different dirt track races during the summer months and need to have something a bit smaller for maneuverability at those tight places they put you in at the track.

Thanks again.....

Many tag axle coaches actually have a tighter turning radius than a non tag coach. Particularly if you can raise or unload the tag.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #9

Marathon, when only the best will do.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I agree with most of Smitty's post. I would expand a couple of models. The Monaco Dynasty, while slotting in below the Executive, may be the best bang for the buck in high end coaches.

I would also include the later years of Dutchstar tag axle coaches.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Yep, agree Steve. And I noted I left off the American Line, fine coaches. As well as the Fleetwood Revolution would fit nicely into Tier 2 (made on the American line, especially the LE version with Spartan chassis). And Fleetwood also has a very solid set of offerings in the middle of the pack too...

OP - Sounds like a compromise need for size to provide comfort while living, and still small enough to get into places you desire. Tags can get down into the 37-38' range in some coaches in some years. Steve was spot on about his comment on tighter turning radius. Our 40' tag CC, and turn in a tighter radius then our non IFS T28 Bounder used to. You might take a look at this link from Nina and Paul. They Boondock quite successfully in a 40' Class A, in places that are amazing.

Wheeling It | Living the Fulltime RV Dream with 12 Paws, 40 Feet and the Open Road

I know that when we traveled to Alaska in 2014, that we had our coach in many places that were just spectacular. With careful driving, and scouting things out with the toad if needed, very few limits using a 40' coach. (I'll add that having air systems, that you can raise the coach with while driving slow in areas that require it, can make the difference on getting in/out of places.).

Good luck on your search!
Smitty
Old 04-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is noteworty to understand that the brands like Marathon, Millenium, and others offer Class A models that start with a stripped Prevost bus...the whole bus (a Volvo company based in Canada)
Welcome to the world of Prevost

These models start with a shell that cost over a half million dollars before they do any RV building.

It is very easy to ID these rigs with the BIG "Prevost" logo on the front cap.

Foretravel and others start with a bridge chassis (no frame rails) so are very similar to the Prevost based models, but are more custom built from the start.

Best is a soft term. Best is what fits your needs best. For some that is a million dollar RV, for others it is a bunk house model (rare in the Prevost models).

I submit that floorplan is king...get what you like
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks again.....
I'll tell you, my favorite floorplan out there right now is the Allegro 33AA or the 38 with bunks.

I don't like the size of the A/C units. I'm nervous of the single pane windows - love everything else. What I'm nervous about is keeping it below 80 degrees in the full sun of summer. But boy do I love the floorplan! I also like the engine / tranny combo on the 33aa - great package.

Ok next, you absolutely can do whatever you want on 120k or less - trust me on this. Don't spend a penny more.

I bought a 2005 fleetwood revolution, 40', single axle for something like 90k.

You could consider the Country Coach... boy do I love them! They made a 36 foot tag axle that's beautiful!!! But even a 2005, 6, 7, 8 are selling close to 200k (and for a good reason) at some point they changed the baggage doors to open outward instead upward ... ok so what? now what?

Hang with a major name, you'll always be able to find info and people all over know all about em. Fleetwood, Monaco, Holiday Rambler (bought by Monaco, both recently bought by fleetwood....), Tiffin, Newmar, Forest River, You'll always have info at your fingertips. Buy a Bluebird Wanderlodge, (cool machine if you love willie nelson and the 80's) but you'll be stuck with a very limited amount of info and mechanics - which you will need sooner or later.

There are not many diesel's that are short.

Google PPL

Google Lazy Days (and understand that lazy days lists HIGH, but will take far less - a buddy bought a bus ((a forest river Berkshire only 3 years old)) for $85k when it was listed for $156k

If your budget is truly 120k, this is a great buy right now
2010 Discovery By Fleetwood 40X for Sale - D746 - PPL Motor Homes

So is this with bunk beds
2009 Discovery By Fleetwood 40G for Sale - D119 - PPL Motor Homes

A winner - revolutions have them deeeeep slides (another thing you might have thunk of yourself)
2007 Revolution Le 40E for Sale - D750 - PPL Motor Homes

Holy cow! A 38' bounder diesel!!! Good machine, they only made them in a DP for a little while, and everyone who owns one loves it, way under your budget AND a full wall slide!
2007 Bounder Turbo Diesel 38V for Sale - D160NB - PPL Motor Homes

Camelot! Good machine - this is what the boondockers mentioned above live in - again recall that monaco and holiday rambler has a chevy/gmc thing for a while - same buses, different finished - so the scepter is the same as the camelot if memory serves..
2006 Monaco Camelot 40PAQ for Sale - D760 - PPL Motor Homes

Maybe they live in an ambassador? 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40PLQ for Sale - D725 - PPL Motor Homes

A patriot thunder! What a beast that machine was. Always enjoy seeing them in rv parks - this is the "beaver" brand spoken about. Solid machines.
2002 Patriot Thunder ASSUMED BRANDY for Sale - D740CL - PPL Motor Homes

mmmkay? How long is your current unit??

Also, I put my 40' into some spaces that would make your hair turn grey - so a few feet is a few feet - if it's 40 ok ----- big difference between 40 and 26, but not so much between 40 and 38 and 36. Although I'm in your boat... after owning a 40' NOT full time, but major major part time, I would like a little 34 footer ---- but we also don't have kids.... maybe your's are grown and gone, or maybe you're toting em around with you?

My biggest thought? Don't spend a lot - it's just a thing, a thing that gets you some enjoyment - if you were loaded with cash, full timing and just had a pension for stuff that's very pretty - then go for it - but on the other hand, you need a great, trouble free toy / motel on the road for some family fun - it's all too easy to get all caught up in the numbers of the thing.

I do like the Phateons! Here's a quick search

Tiffin Phaeton Class A - New & Used RVs for Sale on RVT.com - Page 1 of 7

Click the 36 and 35's at the upper section of the page.

ooo here's one with a mercedes engine, I hear good things about those and in your range

2007 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale in Williamston, South Carolina | Porter's RV Sales | RVT.com - 84888 with Video
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 04-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The best DP?The one I own.Until you buy yours then you can say the one you own. We have had, in order, Beaver, Safari and now Holiday Rambler. The HR is great but I wish I had my Beaver back.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
This looks very clean too
2004 Tiffin Phaeton 35RH, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale in Upland, California | The RV Spa M50373 | RVT.com - 101596

'14 Ram 3500 Aisin

Tags
diesel