Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #1

Opinions on Class A Diesel

✳️Would like input from Class A diesel motor home owners....✳️
So hubby and I have been researching and seeing all kinds of rvs. We started with being in love with a fifth wheeler toy hauler. (Will not name which one at this time because many people may or may not have it.) when we finally saw it we were so turned off. Then fell in love with another fifth wheeler and it's the top of the line but then turned to want a motorized home. So we were interest in super C. Now we are all for a class A diesel. We are contemplating between Entegra, Newmar, Tiffin, and foretravel. Would really love input, especially if you have experience with any of these brands. Cost, quality, issues, comfort, durability, any positive or negative opinions would be great! Thanks everyone!
rjulian18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The only Class A diesel I can speak about is our Tiffin Allegro RED. It is not top of the line, but the quality and finish impressed us. A full year later, our opinion has not changed one iota. Compared to some, we have had very few problems with it and those have been minor. The service we have received from our dealer and Tiffin have been outstanding. I really don't have any negatives, other than I do wish I had opted for the 360hp/3000 Allison combination. The 340hp/2500 I have is adequate, but the higher towing capacity would have been nice.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
The only Class A diesel I can speak about is our Tiffin Allegro RED. It is not top of the line, but the quality and finish impressed us. A full year later, our opinion has not changed one iota. Compared to some, we have had very few problems with it and those have been minor. The service we have received from our dealer and Tiffin have been outstanding. I really don't have any negatives, other than I do wish I had opted for the 360hp/3000 Allison combination. The 340hp/2500 I have is adequate, but the higher towing capacity would have been nice.

Thank you for your response. Did you buy it new or used? Btw what year is the MH? We've been looking at ones that are at least 400+hp and want to have a decent towing capacity as well to a vehicle or whatever we may need to tow.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You didn't say what year models you are interested in or what your budget figure is.

We love our 2002 Monaco Windsor! It has the Cummins ISC350 engine and Allison 3000 tranny, both known for reliability. We don't race up the steep mountains but do keep up with most of the 18-wheelers! The 40PBT floor plan was exactly what we wanted. I think this was the last year Roadmaster made the welded steel house framing which was very strong! We also love the air leveling (no hydraulic jacks) with 8 air bags!

We've made a lot of improvements for comfort and safety since buying it in 2012. I think this model is going for $60k to $70K.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The four makes you listed are well made Class "A"s. I am partial to Newmar because I own one. Even so, the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Look at the floor plans - that will be your most important factor. Then, go to the dealer and test drive the MHs. I will tell you that for us the all deciding aspect was the test drive. We now own a Newmar Dutch Star. The ride quality, esp. in more difficult situations, like strong winds, interstate travel etc. is second to none. "Comfort Drive" is unique to Newmar and makes driving these huge vehicles a breeze.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Interestingly, after all my research, we narrowed it down to 3 of the same as you. We found a 2007 gem with the right floor plan, engine, and tranny, and it happened to be a Newmar. Comfort Drive was also a big decision maker. I don't think you could go wrong with any of your choices, if they have a good maintenance history.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #8

I'd like to go back to your basic question - fifth wheel or motorhome. I went thru whether to drive the vehicle and pull the house or drive the house and pull the vehicle and decided I was more comfortable driving the house, but this is very much a personal decision. Now I'm not so sure I made the right one as todays 5ers are very nice and you get a lot for the money as you don't have to pay for the expensive chassis. Also the maintenance on the tow vehicle will be much less than a diesel pusher MH. If I had to make the decision today, not sure which way I would go. Having said all of that I think the brands you are considering are all good ones from what I have seen.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #9

What is your price range? We bought a Fleetwood Discovery (a used 2015 with 11,000 miles on it) and we could not be more pleased. It's not of the caliber of the Entegras or Newmars (like a Dutchstar), but it's very nice. The floor plan is perfect for us (we wanted a bunkhouse for our daughter and occasional friend). It's got tons of room and drives very well.

Don't ignore used. We bought a new coach (our 2014 Excursion) and spent the first year taking it back for multiple warranty work. THis seems to be the norm no matter what price range you buy.

I also suggest buying from a local, reliable dealer with good service facilities. Don't find out the hard way that when you go to get warranty service from the place near by that was a few thousand dollars more that they can't get you in for 8 weeks because they give priority appointments from the customers who bought from them.

Good luck, let us know what you decide
Old 05-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #10

We have a 2015 Phaeton, 40 footer with the 380hp Cummins ISL9. It is plenty engine for this rig. It won't win any races but pulls grades very well and we have no trouble merging with or pulling out into traffic. Ours is the QBH model with bath and 1/2. As far as towing goes, I can hardly tell our 2013 Ford Explorer is back there.

For us, once we settled on the floor plan and manufacturer, we found the hp and tow capacities adequate on most of the DPs.

We have had our rig a year now with just a few minor issues that were covered under warranty. We are definitely happy with our Tiffin and, so far, would not hesitate to buy another one down the line.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #11

Diesels

We love our 2003 Monaco Windsor as this coach was built by Monaco. The company was the #1 selling diesel motorhome manufacturer at the time and for good reason. Semi monacogue chassis, full air glide suspension, 1 piece fiberglass front cap-roof-rear cap a practice long ago forgotten, 8 air bags on 40 footers and 10 bags on tag axel models unlike the competitor using half as many, side radiator vs rear radiator,25 gallons of paint on the exterior with 3 coats of clear coat, and the list goes on and on.

Its worth a look
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #12

Newmar owner here! We were hot after a '10 Allegro RED but just couldn't get the deal done which may have been a good thing because we wound up with a '11 Newmar Ventana. We wanted to stay smallish (under 36') and our 3433 is.

We did look at Tiffins and they seem to be on the same fit & finish scale as Newmar but our coach seemed to have more carrying capacity than the RED and it also has Comfort Drive which is a big deal to us. Search the forum for Comfort Drive if you need more info. We bought pre-owned (sounds way better than used!) and found our coach on Craigslist.

Good luck with your decision and search!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
You didn't say what year models you are interested in or what your budget figure is.

We love our 2002 Monaco Windsor! It has the Cummins ISC350 engine and Allison 3000 tranny, both known for reliability. We don't race up the steep mountains but do keep up with most of the 18-wheelers! The 40PBT floor plan was exactly what we wanted. I think this was the last year Roadmaster made the welded steel house framing which was very strong! We also love the air leveling (no hydraulic jacks) with 8 air bags!

We've made a lot of improvements for comfort and safety since buying it in 2012. I think this model is going for $60k to $70K.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Thank you for your input! We've been looking at several floor plans, similar between the different manufacturers. I'd have to look up the specific ones for each company and write them down in one place. We were thinking of getting one fairly new or new. With features we really like. Will get back to you again when I know more specifics. Happy trails to you and your family!
Old 05-22-2016, 11:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
The four makes you listed are well made Class "A"s. I am partial to Newmar because I own one. Even so, the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.

Thanks Tony! I feel they are all good manufacturers and were tossed between them all. Trying to find the perfect layout. We haven't been able to physically see these by us, because they seem to be all down south haha.

Tags
class a, diesel