Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Look at the floor plans - that will be your most important factor. Then, go to the dealer and test drive the MHs. I will tell you that for us the all deciding aspect was the test drive. We now own a Newmar Dutch Star. The ride quality, esp. in more difficult situations, like strong winds, interstate travel etc. is second to none. "Comfort Drive" is unique to Newmar and makes driving these huge vehicles a breeze.

I definitely need to gather all my notes to know all the models we have been interested in so far. But it's only been through videos and pics for now because they are all over 1000 miles from us. Also haven't tried driving any of them yet. Thanks for the advice.
rjulian18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 11:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Interestingly, after all my research, we narrowed it down to 3 of the same as you. We found a 2007 gem with the right floor plan, engine, and tranny, and it happened to be a Newmar. Comfort Drive was also a big decision maker. I don't think you could go wrong with any of your choices, if they have a good maintenance history.

Will look into older models as well to compare floor plans. We really liked how amazing the newer ones look. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2016, 11:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
I'd like to go back to your basic question - fifth wheel or motorhome. I went thru whether to drive the vehicle and pull the house or drive the house and pull the vehicle and decided I was more comfortable driving the house, but this is very much a personal decision. Now I'm not so sure I made the right one as todays 5ers are very nice and you get a lot for the money as you don't have to pay for the expensive chassis. Also the maintenance on the tow vehicle will be much less than a diesel pusher MH. If I had to make the decision today, not sure which way I would go. Having said all of that I think the brands you are considering are all good ones from what I have seen.

We weren't debating anymore over that fifth wheel and class a. We had wanted one and then steered away from them because the cost of the ones we were really wanting plus a strong and big enough truck to pull it was not worth it. Might as well get a mh and pull the car we already have in the back. Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-22-2016, 11:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
What is your price range? We bought a Fleetwood Discovery (a used 2015 with 11,000 miles on it) and we could not be more pleased. It's not of the caliber of the Entegras or Newmars (like a Dutchstar), but it's very nice. The floor plan is perfect for us (we wanted a bunkhouse for our daughter and occasional friend). It's got tons of room and drives very well.

Don't ignore used. We bought a new coach (our 2014 Excursion) and spent the first year taking it back for multiple warranty work. THis seems to be the norm no matter what price range you buy.

I also suggest buying from a local, reliable dealer with good service facilities. Don't find out the hard way that when you go to get warranty service from the place near by that was a few thousand dollars more that they can't get you in for 8 weeks because they give priority appointments from the customers who bought from them.

Good luck, let us know what you decide

We would consider used as long as it has all we are looking for. Also, how does it work when you buy an RV and travel the country, how would you deal with a local shop? You would still have to travel all the way back to have repairs? Maybe there is a major company that lows repairs nationwide?
Thanks for the advice and things to think about.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. C. R. View Post
We have a 2015 Phaeton, 40 footer with the 380hp Cummins ISL9. It is plenty engine for this rig. It won't win any races but pulls grades very well and we have no trouble merging with or pulling out into traffic. Ours is the QBH model with bath and 1/2. As far as towing goes, I can hardly tell our 2013 Ford Explorer is back there.

For us, once we settled on the floor plan and manufacturer, we found the hp and tow capacities adequate on most of the DPs.

We have had our rig a year now with just a few minor issues that were covered under warranty. We are definitely happy with our Tiffin and, so far, would not hesitate to buy another one down the line.

Did you buy new? How do you pull it? It is one of those that the car is riding on all its wheels? Two wheels? Or no wheels? Glad to hear your experience with tiffin has been a good one! Thanks for the input!
Old 05-22-2016, 11:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
We love our 2003 Monaco Windsor as this coach was built by Monaco. The company was the #1 selling diesel motorhome manufacturer at the time and for good reason. Semi monacogue chassis, full air glide suspension, 1 piece fiberglass front cap-roof-rear cap a practice long ago forgotten, 8 air bags on 40 footers and 10 bags on tag axel models unlike the competitor using half as many, side radiator vs rear radiator,25 gallons of paint on the exterior with 3 coats of clear coat, and the list goes on and on.

Its worth a look

Thanks Bentley for your response. What floor plan or model do you have? Sounds like it's been working for you really well! How long have you had it?
Old 05-22-2016, 11:22 PM   #21

Opinions on Class A Diesel

We love our Foretravel. Quality build, plenty of horsepower (ISM 450 hp), Custom built frame, all wheel ABS air disc brakes, Allison transmission with retarder, solid wood cabinets, heated bays (which also keep your floors warm). With the Aquahot say goodbye to Navy showers and since it runs on electric or diesel you don't have to be bothered with a diminishing propane tank. We also have 193 gal fuel capacity. Manibloc water control system is convenient when you have to work on the plumbing. I could go on and on and this is on a coach that's rapidly approaching 16 years old.

Since Foretravel builds their own frames they extend the airbags as far outward that they can which gives you a lot of stability and less pitch and roll. We had a Journey before and it scared the pee out of my wife if you hopped a little curb. Another factor is that the factory is still up and running so If you need a part, customization or what ever just call them up. A few days later it appears on you front porch. On top of that the 10KW generator gives you plenty of juice to run you electronics. Dig deeper and check out some Fortravel sights and also Motohomes of Texas whichis a very reliable dealer in quality used coaches. Good luck in your search....and take your time,

Bruce

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:22 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had two Dutch Stars, a 2000 and 2002 both ordered to our spec's and many modifications, The '02 had walls and doors removed. After 13 years it was the most dependable and reliable RV we've ever owned. Should have either kept it or ordered a new one rather than getting the used Magna. The Magna is a great machine but the engine has been very troublesome.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
Newmar owner here! We were hot after a '10 Allegro RED but just couldn't get the deal done which may have been a good thing because we wound up with a '11 Newmar Ventana. We wanted to stay smallish (under 36') and our 3433 is.

We did look at Tiffins and they seem to be on the same fit & finish scale as Newmar but our coach seemed to have more carrying capacity than the RED and it also has Comfort Drive which is a big deal to us. Search the forum for Comfort Drive if you need more info. We bought pre-owned (sounds way better than used!) and found our coach on Craigslist.

Good luck with your decision and search!

Thanks Karen! We've been looking at the longer ones, over 40'. Want it to be an RV we can have for many years to come and any additional "family" we have over or when our family grows. Want to feel like it's our home rather than just an RV. If that makes sense.
Is comfort drive a feature on some rvs? When you bought off of Craigslist was it a private seller? How did you make sure all checked out? And I'm guessing they wanted cash?
Thanks!
Old 05-22-2016, 11:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurb74 View Post
We love our Foretravel. Quality build, plenty of horsepower (ISM 450 hp), Custom built frame, all wheel ABS air disc brakes, Allison transmission with retarder, solid wood cabinets, heated bays (which also keep your floors warm). With the Aquahot say goodbye to Navy showers and since it runs on electric or diesel you don't have to be bothered with a diminishing propane tank. We also have 193 gal fuel capacity. Manibloc water control system is convenient when you have to work on the plumbing. I could go on and on and this is on a coach that's rapidly approaching 16 years old.

Since Foretravel builds their own frames they extend the airbags as far outward that they can which gives you a lot of stability and less pitch and roll. We had a Journey before and it scared the pee out of my wife if you hopped a little curb. Another factor is that the factory is still up and running so If you need a part, customization or what ever just call them up. A few days later it appears on you front porch. On top of that the 10KW generator gives you plenty of juice to run you electronics. Dig deeper and check out some Fortravel sights and also Motohomes of Texas whichis a very reliable dealer in quality used coaches. Good luck in your search....and take your time,

Bruce

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder

Bruce, did you buy it new or used? I just looked online and I can't believe how gorgeous the foretravel rvs were even in 2010! I didn't know they made 193 fuel tank, most I heard was 150.
Thank you for all you said and will def be looking up more foretravel. Really love their new realm as well!
Old 05-22-2016, 11:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We've had two Dutch Stars, a 2000 and 2002 both ordered to our spec's and many modifications, The '02 had walls and doors removed. After 13 years it was the most dependable and reliable RV we've ever owned. Should have either kept it or ordered a new one rather than getting the used Magna. The Magna is a great machine but the engine has been very troublesome.

Thanks Mr D, so you traded in your last Dutch star for the magna? Sorry to hear the last purchase wasn't the best. I'm guessing you bought the Dutch stars new since you had them customized? Hope to hear back!
Old 05-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Be careful of any rig with a Cummins ISX DOHC '07 EPA engine. They are known to drop a valve in #6 and no warranty coverage. So far Cummins won't publicly admit to there being a design problem but they did come out with new heads and valves to cure the "unknown (to them) problem"
Old 05-23-2016, 12:10 AM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjulian18 View Post
Thanks Mr D, so you traded in your last Dutch star for the Magna? Sorry to hear the last purchase wasn't the best. I'm guessing you bought the Dutch stars new since you had them customized? Hope to hear back!
Yes both DSDP's were bought new. Both had several modifications that weren't on the regular list. Different cabinets, all hardwood, removed a couple walls and pocket doors, substituted a different vanity etc.
The Magna is a fantastic coach and should be for a sticker of 3/4 million, naturally we didn't pay anywhere near that though. CC built the DynoMax chassis in house, storage bays are fully covered inside, 4 8D AGM house batteries and room for 2 more. 4 925 CCA starting batteries, all wheel disk brakes, full heated tile floors, 220 V dryer, 3 heat pumps, AquaHot. Same wheels and tires as a Prevost, bigger engine than most etc.
But had we had any inkling of the problems both with the engine and DW's health we'd still have the '02 Dutch Star! Best rig we've ever owned.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjulian18 View Post
Did you buy new? How do you pull it? It is one of those that the car is riding on all its wheels? Two wheels? Or no wheels? Glad to hear your experience with tiffin has been a good one! Thanks for the input!

We did buy new. We found that late models with low miles/gen hrs are not that much cheaper than new. I've heard of some owners struggling with many issues on new coaches. We have been lucky and haven't experienced those type of problems. We were in Red Bay, at the factory, during the build. Tiffin allows an owner to be on the factory floor while your coach is being built. I was there for all of it! Bob Tiffin is famous for taking care of owners, often way after the warranty expires, which might help to explain why the Phaeton has been the number one selling coach in its class for several years now. We thought we wanted a Fleetwood Discovery but after some research, decided on the Phaeton. We also liked the Newmar Ventana.

We pull our car with all 4 wheels down. There is several options, we chose this because its very quick and easy.

Tags
class a, diesel