Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
opinions on CruiseAmerica?

I'm not sure if everyone here is an owner, but does anyone have any opinions on thoughts about renting from CruiseAmerica? Any words of advice or wisdom?

Ready2Retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Never rented from them , but for security ( real or imagined ) I dont like the idea of their name plastered all over it for the world to see ...

A large local dealer does rentals and the price difference between a "C" and a bus is so close that I would go ahead and rent the bus if I were in the market ..

Shop around , look at the "details" ..

I forget the exact pricing , but a C from this dealer is around $135 per day and a bus is a bit over $200 per day ..

Insurance is around $25 per day and .06 per mile on all units ...

JackHammr' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs down Rental from...?

I agree with Jackhammr', hate that advertising on it.... because of that I would not rent from that company... They would have to pay me, to take a unit from them on the road.

TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We sure have seen a lot of Cruise America and other rentals on the road this year!!!!

I had a boss several years ago who wanted to rent an RV for 6 months after he retired. After checking on the cost, he bought a used Class C, put $2k-$3k into it, used it for six months, and then sold it for what he had in it!!!
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
If you want to rent from Curise America, they do a good job and keep their RVs in good condition. They are not optioned out but you have everything you need for a vacation and if you have a problem, they have a 24 hour support center you can call.

For a trip or vacation, there is nothing wrong with the sign on the outside. Many people should rent one before they buy anything to get the feel of driving something other than a car or truck. Also, it helps to see if the significant other can stand being that close to you for prolonged periods!
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ - 2009 Ford Flex
Me (Gatogonow), The Boss (DW), Honey Bunny, Maggie May and Mollie Kay (The Gatos)!
Jim Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Have seen quite a few this year as stated, more than usual, even at Fort Wilderness. Economy can't be that bad
Papa John & Mother Mary 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX, 34N
2008 Hyundai Elantra - Toad
Tampa, Florida
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
I rented one to use in transporting my father-in-law from Tucson back to Traverse City, Michigan. Rented the largest of their class C lineup. Easy to work with, unit was clean and worked OK. They are basic units, with no upgrades.

We encountered medical problems during the trip, and I had to turn the unit in early. Still had to pay for the days contracted, but no extra turn in fee, and of course didn't have to pay for the mileage other than what we used.
Bob & Katie Cook

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We rented from Cruise America twice before we bought. We've owned our RV for 5+ years so our news is pretty old and may or may not be valid today.

We rented the first one as a lark. We were picking up a relative in NC and taking her to PA. We started driving and found out that the dash lights were blown out. It wasn't the fuse. I was driving along, using a flashlight to see the speedometer. The unit had about 47K miles on it when we got it and it blew the transmission. We managed to limp it into a Ford truck repair where CA paid a taxi to pick me up and take me into Philadelphia for a replacement. The exchange went very well. We put about 3,200 miles on that unit and the replacement over 14 days.

Our second CA rental had 55K miles on it and there was a definite "hum" from the differential from the moment we started driving. We got 2 days into a 18 day trip and that one blew the torque converter. In Grand Island, Nebraska at 5:30pm on Friday, I was able to do some arm twisting at CA and we got a replacement unit in Rapid City, SD but we had to be there by noon the next day. We rented a mini-van (CA paid) and drove pretty much all night. Fortunately for us, we were headed for Rapid City anyway and only had to backtrack a little to pick up some sights (The Bad Lands, Wall Drug) that we wanted to see. We were very fortunate. After RD, we traveled to Devil's Tower and then back into SD, going up into ND. Much of that area is desolate and if we had broken down there, it would have been a terrible experience. As it was, we only lost about one day of our trip for the breakdown. BTW, the replacement unit had issues, too, and we ended up taking it back for repair before we left Rapid City. Over all, we put about 3,800 miles on those two units and had no further problems.

We were very much RV greenhorns with the rentals. They served their purpose well - to let us know whether we liked the RV lifestyle and to give us an idea of what to buy ourselves. We've happily owned our current RV with no regrets because of the rental experience. Overall, I'd give Cruise America a B+ rating. They could do a better job of checking out their units. To anyone is renting, I'd strongly recommend not taking one of their units with more than 35K miles on it. They replace the truck part around 50K - and for a good reason.
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
We bought a retired Cruise America 26 ft Class C from their lot in Denver. It had just under or over 100,000 miles on it when we bought. We put 40,000 more on it, much of that pulling a Samuri behind. We went from Atlantic to Pacific oceans more than once. Other than routine maintenance, the only thing we did was replace a rear wheel seal at a cost of about $50. They man who bought it from us said it had a cracked exhaust manifold pipe, but I think we drove it all that time without knowing what the extra noise was. Maybe we over-paid for the unit, but I took comfort in seeing that they changed oil after every rental (at least back in the year 2000), and it came with new tires.
94 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE

HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
Wow! Thanks for all the responses, advice, and stories (ie chasfm11)... I'm planning a two week "road trip" and thinking renting would also be a good way of seeing if I'd ever want to buy an RV. I hadn't thought about the "driving billboard" aspect of it, and didn't know some local dealers also rent, so I'll have to check that out. The idea of a national chain with lots of locations (in case something goes wrong) has its advantages. Overall, there's a lot to think about and consider here... Thanks!

Ready2Retire is offline   Reply With Quote