Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Opinions on first Class A - Hurricane?

My wife and I currently have an Outback travel trailer that has served us well, but we are ready to move up to a motorhome. Although I would love to have a diesel pusher, right now a gasser is more in our price range...she reminds me often that we will have the opportunity later on to have an Allegro Bus, but for our first MH, let's be reasonable.

We have been looking and have found two coaches that we are interested in...a 2006 Tiffin Allegro Bay and a 2009 Four Winds Hurricane 34N...both are gassers with comparable miles and hours on the gen set, the Tiffin with a Workhorse and 8.1 vortec and the Hurricane with a Ford chassis and V10.

Our first choice is the Tiffin and it is in our price range, but the Hurricane we found is a GREAT DEAL...it is a 2009 with about 20k miles, three slides, great condition/shape for $49k, nearly $20k below book and below the Tiffin.

What are your thoughts on the Hurricane for a first coach...the salesman at the last place we went to just kept reminding us that in motorhomes, you get what you pay for.

Thoughts? Gotchas?
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Which one do YOU feel more comfortable in?
That should answer your question.
I feel the Tiffin is a better product; But which one feels right to YOU?
That is what counts.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Hurricane is an entry level coach that will have entry level fit and finish. I know I own a comparable entry level unit. The Tiffin will have higher quality materials such as cargo doors, fabrics, etc. There is nothing wrong with the hurricane and having 3 slides would be attractive. The deciding factor may just be the floor plan. Take a look at them both and drive them both.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Our first MH was a 2007 Hurricane 34N and we loved it. Had only two issues with it during the 33,000 miles we drove it. The first issue was a bad fuel pump on the generator, fixed under warranty. The second issue was the front captains chairs material peeled. I purchased new factory made covers from Flexsteel and installed them.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TxRVMan,
Welcome to iRV2. Floor plan sells the coach. The only thing I will check to over rule the floor plan is:

1. CCC= Cargo Carrying Capacity Will the coach carry all your stuff and you.

2. CGVWR & Hitch Rating = Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Will the coach carry you, all your stuff and tow the vehicle you choose.

Ladies never check this, so it falls to you. The coach needs to be weighed when full of fuel, water and propane. Take that weight and the weight specs for the coach and do the math. The hitch rating should be on the hitch.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #6

I have a 2000 Hurricane (no slides) which we purchased about 9 months ago. Beyond a few small items that have been fixed and some needed chassis maintenanace we're pleased with it. The fit and finish could be better, a few light switches here and there would be nice. We use ours about once a month for a long weekend at the lake and serves us quite well.

I've also owned a '94 Airstream Landyacht MH, a '88 Winnebago Superchief both of which were higher priced, higher end mh's. They both had issues with leaks, delamination, and other things. I am much happier with my Hurricane.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I love my Hurricane. We full time in it and have 72,000 miles on the Workhorse Chassis. It might be entry level but it is holding up nice.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:55 AM   #8

Having had both chassis, a Pace Arrow on a workhorse chassis, 8.1L Chevy V8 and a Coachmen mirada on a Ford F53 Chassis with a V10, and it is only a 6.8 L engine. The Chevy has a little more oomph in my opinion.

One thing to be aware of is the recall that was done on the Workhorse chassis brakes, you want to check that. Search the forum for workhorse chassis brake recall and read the info. Its not a big deal as long as it was done.

I would opt for the Tiffin. Better fit and finish and the big Chevy V8 is not a high revver like the V10 Ford.

I also liked the ride of the Workhorse Chassis much better than the Ford. They are both good platforms drive each one and make the decision that is right for you.

In any case, welcome and enjoy the new coach.

Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:03 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I would opt for the Tiffin. JMHO I guess to be totally fair though you have to decide on which floorplan would work best for you.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #10

Have you considered a coach a year or two older and shop for a upgrade for the same price. Instead of a entry level you might find a mid level. It could be better than buying then trying to sell and get nothing for it.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
TxRVMan is suppose to pickup the Tiffin from a dealer on Friday...

Old 02-15-2012, 05:10 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
TxRVMan is suppose to pickup the Tiffin from a dealer on Friday...
After much searching and deliberation, we decided to go with the Tiffin, in part to some much needed and valuable information on this site and the Tiffin RV Network site.

We really liked the Hurricane layout and texnet has a GREAT DEAL on a very nice coach that we strongly considered...I think the biggest draw to the Tiffin was the reputation for a quality build and the W24 Workhorse chassis with the larger Chevy V8.

We take delivery Friday afternoon and take our first road trip right after we leave the lot...allbeit just up the road!

Any recommendations for pre-delivery walkthrough/checklist or anything to watch out for? This unit is on a W24 chassis, not a W22, so I'm not worried about the brakes. I will look at tires, batteries, the fridge recall, A/C filters...what am I missing?

Here are some pics:

TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Nice Coach! Enjoy!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great coach, very pretty! Excellent engine!

Tags
hurricane