Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #1

Opinions on Fridge Gasket Adhesive / Glue

Hiya!

I'm renovating a 1995 Firan Raven and this specific post is about adhesive to replace the gasket on my Dometic fridge.

I've already removed the gasket. Link here.
I've cleaned the remaining surface completely. Link here.
I will wipe with alcohol just before gasket application to ensure it is fully clean.

I purchased four 90" long strips (not a completed gasket) of magnetic gasket as seen here (I got four strips of the GL-425-1.12) as that will perfectly fit the width of my fridge edge and is the width of my original gasket. I'll need to create the gasket. These four strips are more than enough for my doors.

I will need / looking for opinions on:
- Adhesive to connect the 45 degree corners of the gasket when I cut them and put them together.
- Adhesive to connect the gasket to the door frame.
- Silicone-type sealant for the corners of the gasket as indicated here on page (2) of the replacement gasket kit installation instructions for the Dometic.

I've been researching for over an hour and I'm feeling confident about Lexel for all three, BUT would love opinions / personal experience / any guidance. I've never done anything like this before. =) LexelŽ - The superior alternative to silicone.

I've seen / researched / considered:

- 3M 4475 as suggested by the gasket seller, however this is banned from being shipped/sold to my state (and many others)
- 3M 1099; I remember finding a site at one point that a person recommended this for connecting the fridge gaskets at their 45 degree corners, but I can't find the link again. This seems like it might be better to connect the 45 degree corners of the gasket, but wondering if really necessary if I'm using the Lexel.

As always, thank you for your time and input. =)

Lorelei

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Lorelei,
My Granddaughters Name-- Love it !
I like the Lexel for the 45 deg joints and other area's as well- there won't be much movement in the joints though !
You can work on My Motor Home anytime !

NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #3

Hiya! Thanks so much for your reply and the compliment.

Also, I'm certain with the name Lorelei your granddaughter is a wonderful person. =).

To your comment, just so I understand, what do you mean there won't be much movement in the joint?

Thanks for your time. =)

Lorelei
Old 11-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Well She's 4 years old and a bundle of challenging Joy !
Gaskets : I believe if this were my project I would be sure that after sealing the 45's that the doors sits at room temperature for a couple of day's for curing.
By movement I met that once these new gaskets are installed and cured to the mounting surface they aren't going to move as in side to side just in and out for sealing the door.
I researched new gaskets for my older Dometic and they were expensive and you sourced them at a very reasonable price.
Thanks for sharing all the info and keep us posted on the completion of your project.
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #5

Ah ha! Now I understand. I thought you meant it as a thing I should be cautious of. =)

Thanks for the curing suggestion. That's a great idea as I have the doors inside my house along with the gasket strips. I'll make the gaskets first and let them cure, then I'll put them on the doors and let them cure, then I'll take them out and put the doors back on the fridge (with the fridge turned on and heat in the rig) and leave that locked closed for a few days as well.

Let me know if you think of any other tips. That was helpful. =)

Thanks again for your time and encouragement. I'll definitely post a follow up on how it all went when I tackle this. =)

Good luck with Miss Lorelei. My husband would tell you that I'm a 42 year old bundle of challenging joy as well. Ha!

Lorelei
Old 12-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I had a new gasket installed and about 500 miles latter it was coming off the tec at the shop I stopped to have it repaired used some heavy duty double sided tape. I think it will hold 30 lbs/inch found it at a big box hardware store.
Good Luck
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #7

3M Gasket Cement available at any automotive paint store. It is what has been used for years by the automotive industry to attach gaskets to doors, trunks etc.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I would look for some 3M VHB (Very High Bond) Tape. It will hold the gasket to the door flange probably better than any other type of glue arround. The corners, I would experiment with some form of super glue. Practice on your cutoff pieces before you go for the final install.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #9

Hello!

I wanted to close out this thread with what I ended up doing with the fridge door gasket.

I ordered magnetic gasket from Tricomp in NJ. They shipped it rolled up in a box and I left it in the box for months. Worried I had permanently crimped or folded it, once I laid it out in the RV in the heat it was straight as new.

I decided to use Gorilla Glue for all connections and to adhere it to the door. I had read a lot of people who had used the double sided tape and it was coming undone shortly after install and it's a lot harder to re-secure with the door on the hinges.

I used a thin Dremel cutting tool to make the 45 degree angle cuts. I did this because using a straight edge or a scissors crushed the gasket and would make really poor cuts on the thin open area under the magnet. The only way I could get it to remain a close to perfect cut was with the Dremel.

Cutting with the Dremel created a bit of "magnetic dust" from cutting through the magnet. Of course, this just doesn't fall away like sawdust, it sticks to the magnet. I had to do a really heavy duty cleaning on the gaskets once they were all cut and fit into temporary place to get the excess magnet off. I used a liquid spray on paper towel to get it off. Then I did an alcohol wipe on the door, and the gasket corners prior to gluing them together.

I cut and laid out all gasket pieces and then let them sit on the door (door on the floor) overnight and resumed in the warmth of the next day. I put a piece of G-Floor I had left over from my floor install in the corners and then glued the corners of the gasket together. I let that sit for a good 30 minutes, and then I used the same Gorilla glue to adhere the gasket to the door. I used A LOT of glue. 2 bottles of Gorilla Glue (the bottle about the size of the palm of your hand) to do the corners and adhere it to the fridge and freezer door.

Pictures and details here:

Dometic Silhouette Fridge Gasket | RV Renovation

Thank you all again for your help on this project. =)

Tags
adhesive, dometic, fridge, gasket, refrigerator