Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Opinions on PI SSP50 Smart Surge.

Progressive Industries SSP50 Smart Surge.

Does anyone have one of these?
Am looking for opinions and experiences about this unit, good or bad.
Hopefully with reasons for your opinion.

Thank you.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I really don't think you can go wrong with ANY product that Progressive Industries has to off the RV industry. They are high quality products with great customer service. I have the HW-50C EMS with remote and have installed a second remote. I prefer the hardwired unit even though the method I chose to install it allows me to easily remove it if I wanted to.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, unlike DR4Film.. I know that even PDI hardware SOMETIMES fails, and no spike/surge suppressor has ever been made that will last forever. But the PDI products are among the best the industry has to offer.

I would defiently recommend in favor of their products as well.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't get it.

Don't get me wrong. Progressive makes excellent stuff but I just wouldn't get that particular model. The SSP-50 is strictly a surge protector. Many of the problems in RV electrical systems are caused by low voltage rather than a surge or spike. To adequately protect your system against them you need a surge protector that also includes voltage detection.

Check out Surge and Spike - Protecting Your RV's Electrical System - RV Magazine for an article I wrote regarding that.

In this case I would recommend the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C - which has that capability. I use the EMS-HW50C myself, which is hard wired into the coach. That way it's theft proof, out of the weather, plus the remote display can easily be read ftrom within the living area of the coach. But, if you prefer a portable unit, the EMS-PT50C is the best choice.
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote