Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #1

Opinions on storage that moves out with slides???

If you are not sure what I'm talking about look at the slides on this RV
2018 Winnebago Sightseer 33C Class A Gas Wichita Falls, TX Patterson RV

I have never had an RV where the storage area moves in/out with the slides. I can understand it would make it easier to get at storage, but think it looks kinda weird seeing the undercarriage exposed. Also, does it cause more wear/tear on the slide having to move that additional weight?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My '05 Beaver has the two front storage compartments moving on the front roadside slide out.
That is nice so I don't need to worry about bumping my head going under the slide to get something in the compartment. It also makes working on the chassis components easier since the entire frame is exposed when the slide is out (not that there is anything to service under there. The air tanks and propane tank valves are in this area).

With the slide out, you cant see the chassis. I don't have a photo available of this right now, but it looks good/natural. IMO. There are other basement compartments on that side further back that have full passthrough.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Limited storage due to weight limits as well as no passthrough storage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It seems like a good idea until I contemplate what Mr_D stated above.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #5

opinions on storage that moves out with slides???

On a Gas powered coach its very nice to have the basement compartments extend with the slides. This feature makes the basements much bigger and access is much easier because you don't have to duck under a 3' slide to access the equipment you have inside the basement.

Our Adventurer has the StoreMore system on both the drivers and passenger slides. They are very large. 27" tall and 24" Deep. The drivers side basement is 14' long and the passenger side basement is 11' long. The door openings are almost 26" tall. These basements carry a huge amount of stuff.

On our Adventurer you can't really see the undercarrage much but with the slides out you have a huge space where you can get under the chassis on each side and access most everything under the coach, forward of the rear axle. Water Heater, Water Holding Tanks, Furnace ducting, Hydraulic system for slides and leveling, Hydraulic slide rams, Motor Aid system, etc. This large space makes maintenance and repair much easier. I absolutely love the Winnebago StoreMore system.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7446.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	226563

Name:	IMG_7462.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	226564

Name:	IMG_3269.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	226565Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3264.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	504.1 KB
ID:	226566
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Limited storage due to weight limits as well as no passthrough storage.
+ many. However, they will always be easy to get to!
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
P38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
My '05 Beaver has the two front storage compartments moving on the front roadside slide out.
That is nice so I don't need to worry about bumping my head going under the slide to get something in the compartment. It also makes working on the chassis components easier since the entire frame is exposed when the slide is out (not that there is anything to service under there. The air tanks and propane tank valves are in this area).

With the slide out, you cant see the chassis. I don't have a photo available of this right now, but it looks good/natural. IMO. There are other basement compartments on that side further back that have full passthrough.
Fleetwood Discovery models in early and mid 2000's had storage that moved with the slide outs. Click image for larger version

Name:	downloadfile.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	226572
P38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our Sunrise has storage that moves out with the living room slide and storage that doesn't move out under the bedroom slide. I like using the living room storage much better then the bedroom storage for ease of use, the bedroom slide storage is hard to get things into and out of with the slide out.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Each design has its positives and negatives. My basement stays put, so I have some pass through area where I store folding chairs, and my ramp for the harley trailer and a few other odds and ends. This wouldn't be possible with the slide out basement. However, its a bear to get something out of the basement when the slide is out. I like it the way it is so I have that pass through area above the frame.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #10

I had seen this on a coach I looked at, it was nice.

Ended up going with a coach with pass thru storage.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #11

Friends of ours have the storage that moves with the slides.

Since they have a diesel they lost quite a bit of storage options without the pass through.

We have looked at them as well and they are definitely easier to get to if you can live with the loss of storage space.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #12

My previous 2000 Winnebago 37g had the moving storage under the drivers front slide. I dont think a pass through was an option in that area due to the drive shaft behind it. As stated, you try not to put too much heavy stuff in those compartments, but there is no shortage of light bulky stuff to put in them. I liked the fact that I could get stuff out without busting my head off the slide when it was extended. Also not getting the back of your shirt all greasy from the slide rails.I always tried to put things I wouldnt need in an emergency on the drivers side. I didnt want to have to be out on the road looking for tools etc. Things I had in those bays included the folding bbq, folding lawn chairs, empty coolers, folding table, and my small portable generator for back up. Its better than having to move all the patio furniture to get something out of the passenger side after you are set up. If a pass through was an option, I would go for that for sure. If it is not, I liked having the moving storage bins.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Each design has its positives and negatives. My basement stays put, so I have some pass through area where I store folding chairs, and my ramp for the harley trailer and a few other odds and ends. This wouldn't be possible with the slide out basement. However, its a bear to get something out of the basement when the slide is out. I like it the way it is so I have that pass through area above the frame.
jt
My drivers side basement is almost 14' long. I can get 8' 2x6's in there no problem. Lots of them. Back in the day Fleetwood put front access hatches on their slide out basements. You could put something 12' long in those basements.

I do agree the pass through is very nice especially with the large sliding trays that will slide out either side.

Most gassers don't have the pass through option. The OP was asking about the basement feature on a gasser.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
My drivers side basement is almost 14' long. I can get 8' 2x6's in there no problem. Lots of them. Back in the day Fleetwood put front access hatches on their slide out basements. You could put something 12' long in those basements.

I do agree the pass through is very nice especially with the large sliding trays that will slide out either side.

Most gassers don't have the pass through option. The OP was asking about the basement feature on a gasser.

Gassers have pass through areas above the frame. As stated above I store my folding chairs and trailer ramp in the front area. In the rear I store my 7’ ladder and a broom. I also store my wheel covers up there. Yes, many gassers have pass through storage too. Just not down low.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, storage