Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
opinions on the need for a Dishwasher on Class A

In deciding on options for a new or used RV, how important is a dishwasher in the overall scheme of things?

Marleg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
How much cooking are you planning to do in your RV?
Will you serve most meals on plates etc that will be washed?
How many people will be eating?

If you have several people eating off washable utensils you may find a need for a dishwasher but if you mainly use paper plates it will just take up space that could be better used for more efficient storage.

Tom & Carol Central Ohio
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35e
With dogs Buffy, Libby, Marti and George
TWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #3

It's great to have one, I installed ours 2 years ago, the wife wouldn't be without it.
2001 Islander
Retiredblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #4
Our motorhome already had the dish draw when we bought it. I probably would never have thought to request one.

For the last 8 years that dishwasher has been used every day and several times a day if I am in baking mode or have company. Even dry camping it uses less water than hand washing.
You have to decide if you can dedicate the space and cost.

We have the Fisher Paykel and when it finally conks out I will replace with another but I could live without it. After 11 years of full timing I could not manage without a washer and dryer.

Rose and Dean (Fulltimers)
2008 Allegro Bus
2004 Honda Element
RMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
Do you have a dish washer in your house? Do you use it? If so why would you not want one in your MH?
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Do you have a dish washer in your house? Do you use it? If so why would you not want one in your MH?
This has to be the post of the day. We have motorhomed since 1985, both with and without a dishwasher. If we have the room, we want one. Not as important as a stacked washer/dryer, but important. Otherwise, it is back to paper plates!
Duncan, 2012 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2014 Honda CRV, wife and cat
Florida and South Carolina
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
The prime question is who is doing the dishes. If it is you what is your preference, if it is the DW what is her preference.

Janet and I do dishes together and really like the three big pot drawers we have for keeping pots and pans because we really like cooking.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
I won't leave home without her.
2003 Ford F150 Supercab 5.4
1997 Keystone Sprinter 24RL
Former Full-Timers
glarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #9
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
I won't leave home without her.
This and I am going to get in trouble over it
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:58 PM   #10
Love the dishwasher - makes camping so much more enjoyable, and one less thing for my better half not to get on me about. Only a red solo cup is better than a frosted beer glass on a hot day.
tkilpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #11

With just the two of us we run the dishwasher every three days at our house. We don't often stay anywhere more than a couple of days when traveling so I'm guessing if we had a dishwasher in the motorhome we'd have to run it more than necessary so it wouldn't have dishes in it when going down the highway. (Maybe that's not a problem?). Washing & drying dishes by hand does not seem to be a concern for us but everybody gets to do it as they want.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
Tiffin Owners Club
Our mh came equipped with one and we had decided that at first opportunity we would pull it out and put in a full size oven. Our first summer with the mh was spent from May through October on the Oregon coast and I can tell you now, that dishwasher is there to stay.

We do use paper plates for the most part and the microwave...but we still use a lot of bowls, pots, pans, skillets, glasses, cups utensils...ect., so the dishwasher is a real plus for us.

As far as the oven goes....the microwave/convection does just fine plus we take along our counter top toaster oven.

Ron, Sandie, and Maggie May
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #13

Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
The prime question is who is doing the dishes. If it is you what is your preference, if it is the DW what is her preference.

Janet and I do dishes together and really like the three big pot drawers we have for keeping pots and pans because we really like cooking.
Jackie & I share the duties or we do them together .... as stated, we like having the additional storage space ....... we're full timers ...
Hal & Jackie .... 03 TS Select 45DS01
02 Haulmark 20' Edge .... 02 Corvette Rdstr

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #14
If you boon dock much then I would think no dishwasher. If you are always in a full hookup site then maybe. We do not have a dishwasher. If I was going to order a new motorhome I would not get one assuming we would continue to camp as we have. We travel with just two of us and an Airedale Terrier. We eat out about 3 out of 7 nights, minimum. Motorhome dishwashers are much smaller than house dishwashers. My wife and I usually split up cooking duties this way. She cooks unless BBQ. I do BBQ and clean BBQ. We BBQ a LOT, at least 50% of dinners. I do dishes most of the time.

So I am the one doing almost all the washing and saying no DWasher. The other big reason is to have more space in kitchen cabinets.

B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, dish