Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #1

Opinions on this DP purchase

Hi everyone, first post here. My family and I are on our 3rd has unit (2005 Hurricane 34) and are looking to move to a DP unit. We will be heading out west now that we have moved to WI from PA. I have my eye on a 2006 Bounder 38S with Cat C7, 22K for $79,000.

I am a bit nervous about the CAT engine after reading the fuel pump issues. Should I be worried about this? CAT told me that extended warranties probably will not cover this expensive failure but that if I kept the oil changed it should not be an issue.

In general, for those that have went from gas to diesel are you happy with the move? We take 4-5 trips per year with one being 2 weeks over a thousand miles away.

Any advice is appreciated.
milligsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV2. You may want to checkout our Cat forum
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/
You can do a search for anything you'd like to know.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #3

There are plenty of CATS that are very reliable. I would not worry.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome, can't comment on the Cat issue but sure there are many here that can. Am able to tell you that we have had several gas MH's and really love the diesel. Much more torque, quieter, better balanced unit. We quite normally have a toad but if we didn't, I would still have a DP.
Will never go back to a gas.
Good luck.
GPJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by milligsc View Post
Hi everyone, first post here. My family and I are on our 3rd has unit (2005 Hurricane 34) and are looking to move to a DP unit. We will be heading out west now that we have moved to WI from PA. I have my eye on a 2006 Bounder 38S with Cat C7, 22K for $79,000.

I am a bit nervous about the CAT engine after reading the fuel pump issues. Should I be worried about this? CAT told me that extended warranties probably will not cover this expensive failure but that if I kept the oil changed it should not be an issue.

In general, for those that have went from gas to diesel are you happy with the move? We take 4-5 trips per year with one being 2 weeks over a thousand miles away.

Any advice is appreciated.
Fuel pump or injector pump? Most diesel engines have both! The fuel pump is more commonly known as the lift pump. It pumps fuel from the tank to the injector pump. The injector pump is usually a piston pump that injects fuel into the cylinders and it's the expensive one. But what makes you think CAT engines are the only one that can have one go out? I had one go out my 2001 Dodge, but it had 232,000 miles on it and of course that is a Cummins. I keep Stanadyne in all our diesel engines including the CAT (6 oz. per 30 gallons). It lubricates the fuel system and especially the injector pump. I think the CAT guys were being a little sarcastic.....but it's true.....keep your oil changed and your diesel engine is going to run & run & run & run....
Old 03-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The Bounder is a very popular motorhome and Cat builds some great diesel engines, but unfortunately the C7 is not one of them.

First, look at the torque specs on the C7, not the horsepower. The C7 is rated from 520-860 ft lbs (depending on model) while the Cummins ISC is rated at 1050 ft lbs. The C7 is underpowered for this size coach and has a problematic history. Like Cliff said, check out the Cat forum.

I would shop around some more. It's currently a buyers market.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #7

Thanks guys, I'm going to get the unit. Just need to decide if I want the good sam warranty. $4000 for 4 years. I normally do my own maintenance but have not worked on air brake diesel chasis. I used to work on big diesel generators and helicopters so I suppose I can figure it out.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Four grand for four years sounds pretty good, depending on what they pay for. Are they including any roadside assistance or trip protection?

In 2011 we bought my wife a new Harley Sportster for under 10K and they wanted $1200 just to extend the factory warranty by 1 year.

In 07 we boght me a new Ultra Classic for almost $24K and they sold me an extra 3 years, for a total of five, for under $900. I used every bit of that before it ran out.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #9

$4k for the good sam complete coach coverage. I'm leaning that way. It does include the roadside assistance.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
The Bounder is a very popular motorhome and Cat builds some great diesel engines, but unfortunately the C7 is not one of them.

First, look at the torque specs on the C7, not the horsepower. The C7 is rated from 520-860 ft lbs (depending on model) while the Cummins ISC is rated at 1050 ft lbs. The C7 is underpowered for this size coach and has a problematic history. Like Cliff said, check out the Cat forum.

I would shop around some more. It's currently a buyers market.
I'm with Vito on this one. The 3126 and C7 have had notorious problems with head gaskets and piston rings. Unfortunately, neither engine has sleeved (wet) cylinder liners. These "parent" block engines are notoriously weak in the cylinder bore areas and often succomb to a blown head gasket which almost always washes the cylinders causing broken rings on the #5 & #6 cylinder and wedging the piston thus deforming/cracking the cylinder bore. Since there are no liners, it can't be fixed while in the MH. It's less expensive to simply replace the engine with another. Unless you can do the work yourself, expect to pay upwards of 25k to replace the powerplant should it have a catastrophic incident.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #11

I have a 2002 3126e cat with 330 hp and 860 ft lbs torque with 69000 miles. I just keep oil changed and all pm done on time. I am very happy with the engine.
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #12

The 3126 Cat engine is one of the most popular engines and very reliable. Of course you hear all kinds of horror stories even from cummins engines. Do your regular maintenance and drive it properly it will outlast you. Cheers Gerald
Gerald Duerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by milligsc View Post
$4k for the good sam complete coach coverage. I'm leaning that way. It does include the roadside assistance.

Personally, I'd suggest you go with the SAM program and then if you want cancel it after the first year. That would give you time to get comfortable with the RV and if that HEUI (injector) pump goes bad SAM will pick up most of the expense - at least they did for me, over $7,000.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Duerr View Post
The 3126 Cat engine is one of the most popular engines and very reliable. Of course you hear all kinds of horror stories even from cummins engines. Do your regular maintenance and drive it properly it will outlast you. Cheers Gerald
Had a bank client that owned an excavating/paving company. He said he wouldn't have a (cumming apart) Cummins on the property. He ran only Cats. But then I have a Cummins in my truck with 256,000 miles on it and it runs just like the day I drove it off the lot. On the other hand I have a 3126 Cat with 80,000 miles on it and it is just as dependable. I would guess there's whore stories with most engines, MH models, dealers and the list would go on. I wouldn't let those stories which people will take for fact and then use it to scare others as reliable, but DO keep your oil changed

Tags
purchase