Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #1

Opinions Please

Hi and thanks ahead for any help from all of you, the Pros! This forum has provided me some valuable information while I have been doing my research for my future needs. Now I need some info on some specifics.

my current situation is a class c winn outlook, 08 with 23k on it, in great shape etc. I pull a small enclosed 7 x 10 trailer with 2 cruiser bikes. this has worked out very well, but we would like to be able to do some cross country traveling and longer term in the future. that being said, we will most likely need to have a car along also. (gotta have the toys!)

I've investigated 5th wheel and class a toyhaulers. not really the style we want. looking at class a diesel (to get up the mountains), and pulling a trailer with a car & bikes, or a bike lift on back and pull a truck with the 2nd bike in it.

I need to know what the minimum HP & torque I will need. will a FRED work out if only 300 HP? does it make sense to buy an older MH to save some $$ and then make small changes for our liking?

I will probably have some more questions, but really appreciate all help!

btw, is there any forum out there for barter/exchange of MH's?
thanks, cheryl
BikerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGirl View Post
Hi and thanks ahead for any help from all of you, the Pros! This forum has provided me some valuable information while I have been doing my research for my future needs. Now I need some info on some specifics.

my current situation is a class c winn outlook, 08 with 23k on it, in great shape etc. I pull a small enclosed 7 x 10 trailer with 2 cruiser bikes. this has worked out very well, but we would like to be able to do some cross country traveling and longer term in the future. that being said, we will most likely need to have a car along also. (gotta have the toys!)

I've investigated 5th wheel and class a toyhaulers. not really the style we want. looking at class a diesel (to get up the mountains), and pulling a trailer with a car & bikes, or a bike lift on back and pull a truck with the 2nd bike in it.

I need to know what the minimum HP & torque I will need. will a FRED work out if only 300 HP? does it make sense to buy an older MH to save some $$ and then make small changes for our liking?

I will probably have some more questions, but really appreciate all help!

btw, is there any forum out there for barter/exchange of MH's?
thanks, cheryl
Cheryl:

I think you should go with the trailer for the bikes and car. The bike lifts put a lot of extra load on the rear end.

300 HP will get you up any mountain. The only question is how fast do you want to go. My personal choice for motor home speed is around 60mph. I seldom go slower pulling a tow dolly with a Dodge minivan. I'm seldom passed by other motor homes or semis going up 6% grades.

My choice would be for a diesel pusher. It's quieter and is a proven design.

As far as new vs used, I bought my coach 3 years ago so I think you can figure out where I stand on that issue.

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions, but that's what you're looking for.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
As stated in the prior post. Class A we Towed a pickup with the Harley loaded in the bed., That would be my choice. We also towed a covered trailer With our snowmobils in in , We could have loaded a small car it the trailer. The coach has a 330 CAT. It has plenty of power;;.. Back years ago they were keeping the HP down on the motorhomes It was the understanding that the motorhome would not be able to take the Viberation, Now they have over come that problem. 300+ hP should be fine ;; Enjoy;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #4

Depending on your budget you may want to look at a truck conversion with a garage such as Renegade, Showhauler or a number of other companies. There are used ones out there most being on racingjunck.com.

Advantages and disadvantages go along with anything. Wouldnt have to haul the trailer, can flat tow a car when ever you want, bikes in the garage, larger water tanks, plenty of power, no need to worry about weight or trailer hitch rating.

Just a thought
Old 11-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BikerGirl,
For me, the process I'd use to determine engine size is:

1. Determine the trailer you'll be using. The trailer should carry the bikes and the car. When you total up all the weight (trailer, bikes and car) I think you'll find it is a considerable amount of weight.

2. Take the weight of the coach you are considering + the weight calculated in step 1.

3. Take #2 and divide by the horse power of the engine. This provides the number of pounds per horse power the engine is pulling.

4. My coach has 114 pounds per horse power. I am not the fastest coach up the mountain, but I am not the slowest. For me, I would not go more than what I have (114). Now, it requires patience to pull steep or long grades. If I can keep momentum up not much patience is needed. If momentum is lost (and there are a lot of reasons momentum can be lost) it requires a lot of patience to pull the grade.

I have a Cummins ISC 330 HP, 950 lbs of torque and my street weight of coach and towed car is a little over 37K pounds.

Also make sure you consider the weight rating of the hitch and the GCWR (Gross Combined Weigh Rating) of the coach. This is the maximum of the real street weight of the coach and trailer. Both need to be full of fuel, water, stuff, etc.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Hello BikerGirl,
We have a Ford F53 34ft class a, pulling a 8 x 20.5 enclosed trailer loaded with a Smart Car and Goldwing TriCar. Now the MH cannot handle the tongue weight of the enclosed trailer so I added a Trailer Toad. It can handle a tongue weight of 3500#s and pull 19000#s. My total length is 61 feet. The trailer & Trailer Toad weigh in at 9700#s.

The Trailer Toad is much like the of a double bottom semi's 2nd trailer hitch device. I pulls great. Now can I run up a 6% climb at speed no it does drop off but I can pass the slower semi's. I have a Banks and am running about 400 hp. The MH rides like it does when it is not pulling since all the weight is on the Trailer Toad. We upgraded the hitch to a class 4 and re-enforced the frame extension. The original hitch was class 3 rated 5000#s with mas tongue weight of 500#s. The trailer also has it's own electric brakes.

Many racers use this type of setup to pull 2 or more cars.

We like the class a because you use the max mh for living space when the pilot/co-pilot seats are turned around. Good luck with search.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #7

thanks for the help

just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your help. I am going to look into the trailer, car and bikes weight first, then figure out how much HP and torque I need!

thanks!!
BikerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
We just sold our Allegro DP (5.9 230hp) it had no problem pulling our trailer with our Equinox(about 7k# total) on through the mountains, like others have said we did not go up real fast (about 40mph) non-mountain speeds 65-70. Our new rig Country Coach Magna with a C10 rocks!
patty98311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #9

Many of the older DPs from good makers only had 230-300 hp. They go up mountains and have large towing capacities. But more power does make it easier. Many of the early 2000's motor homes came with 400 hp motors. It it were me I would try to get something in that range. A previous poster recommended looking at super C's like the Dynamax and Jayco. They have front diesels and lots of towing power.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote