Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Opinions wanted

Just curious what others think about trading back a few years but getting more RV, or what I would consider more RV.

I currently have a 2011 tiffin Allegro Open Road 35 QBA and have been doing a lot of looking at some of the older Country Coach's. A 2006 535 Rembrandt in particular.

I have heard some good and some bad about the Cat engine as well and would welcome some input there.
Just wondering what others thought and maybe some opinions on the CC.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Country Coach built a great coach, we almost bought one 4 years ago, but they are gone.

Pertinent to your post, we looked at a Damon at the time. The owner, a widow, told us her late husband was retired from Caterpillar, but wanted a Cummins power plant in his coach. There's a message!

We bought a 2007 Tiffin and love the bus, and the Tiffin factory support. Stick with the Tiffin line.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Love our Cat... Either Cat or Cummins, neither would be a deal breaker.
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #4

Avoid the cat c7 I own 10 of them in our fleet at work, all 10 have had issues. Including loosing rings in 2 of them.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #5

Country coach is not "gone". We just had service done at the factory in Oregon this summer. Cat is a huge company, twice the size of cummins. Both cat and cummins make good engines. Not all of each's motors are as good. We have a c12 which is bulletproof.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
May seem like a dumb question to some here but me being somewhat new to diesel engines especially the Cats, how do I know which "C" series the coach has in it?

It is a 2006 535hp.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I highly recommend buying a few years older to get a "better" (higher price tier) coach for your money. The luxury class rigs aren't just pretty faces - they are usually built stronger and with higher grade materials throughout, plus many small details that make for greater comfort and convenience, easier maintenance, smoother driving, etc.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I highly recommend buying a few years older to get a "better" (higher price tier) coach for your money. The luxury class rigs aren't just pretty faces - they are usually built stronger and with higher grade materials throughout, plus many small details that make for greater comfort and convenience, easier maintenance, smoother driving, etc.
Thanks Gary, that was kinda along the lines IG the way I was thinking. I appreciate all of the input from everyone so far.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5string71 View Post
Thanks Gary, that was kinda along the lines Of the way I was thinking. I appreciate all of the input from everyone so far.
Found out this afternoon that the coach we are looking at has a C13 engine in it, anyone have any knowledge or experience with this model?

Also realized that it is a Van Goh and not a Rembrandt as well. Only down side that I have discovered for us so far is that it has no W/D or is it prepped for one either which I found very odd.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #10

Caterpillar no longer manufactures diesel engines for highway use. When the EPA
mandated stricter pollution standards for diesel engines CAT declined and now only builds off road engines that do not have to meet the EPA requirements. I'm not sure but I believe the number in the CAT C series engines relates to the number of Liters.

Cummins is the largest diesel engine manufacturer in the world but they only make engines; CAT's main business is heavy duty equipment that use diesel engines.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #11

cat vs cummins

I operated Cat equipment for 40 years, can't beat a piece of Cat equipment. But, in a motor home, I'll take a Cummins.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Very happy with my 06 Mountain Aire. Everytime we use it I find more reasons why I should hang on to it!! I have updated all the technology, HD tvs, HDMI, new GPS..., new floors. It has everything a 2015 has except heated floors...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #13

Like any purchase of any used RV would be how well it was maintained and the record keeping the owner has kept. Including any changes or modifications he made and the notes he put in with his records.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
The things that cannot be updated easily are:

Number of slides.
Engine.
Transmission
Engine Brake
Aqua Hot or similar.
Length
Bath and 1/2
Bunks

If you desire one of those items then what you propose seems reasonable.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote