Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2015, 05:59 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Opinions Wanted

Looking at 2005 vintage gas units. Eyeing a couple of similar priced units. Tifffen Allegro Bay W22 and a National Dolphin LX W24. The Dolphin is 2ft. longer and much further away to check out and obviously a little more money Both have low milage with the Dolphin about 9000 mi. less then the Allegro. We like the floor plan on the Dolphin more and I would prefer the W24 over the W22. Its been said here and I believe it. The wife better like the floor plan.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 06:28 AM   #2

When we were searching for MH's the first decision point was the floor plan. If the FP didn't meet our requirements then it would immediately be passed over. However there are so many other considerations that must be taken into account when purchasing a 10 yr old coach. Driving stability, roof, delamination, appliance checks, basement/storage space, tires...etc.

We are on our 3rd Class A in a 4 year period. Each time we purchased it was a upgrade...longer, newer, gas to DP and each time our checklist increased. If this is your first purchase I would highly recommend taking a seasoned RV'er with you for guidance. And don't rush into something unless it's an absolute steal...there are plenty of units out there waiting for a good owner!

Good luck,

Kim

Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:51 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
On a 10 year old coach check the date codes on the tires they may be the originals if so that's going to be a $1000. purchase right off the bat.

Service records would be nice to.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I get the tires and the recalls. What about the quality differences, widows, roofs, cabinetry, general construction. Have a feel for the Dolphins quality but not on the Allegro. I Looked at a similar Newmar Mountain Aire gas W24 nice but some issues with exhaust manifold broken bolts and milage was higher than wanted. Thats where I'm at for now.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The Allegro Bay will be the higher quality unit. Bay's were the top of the line gas and FRED chassis coaches for Tiffin.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TNTRacing View Post
On a 10 year old coach check the date codes on the tires they may be the originals if so that's going to be a $1000. purchase right off the bat.

Service records would be nice to.
Where do you buy your tires???? Best be looking at least $2600 for a set of tires if not a bit more. Michelin anyway.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #7

We have a 6355 Dolphin LX with the W 24 chassis and we really like the layout and storage. Ours only has 30,000 miles but has held up well.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #8

Here's my advise, buy the best you can afford the first time you buy, it is more expensive to upgrade later, no matter how good a deal you think you got when buying your motorhome it will cost you more to upgrade at a later date. I think most of us have been there.

Ken
2002 Monaco Executive
Old 12-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #9

I would definitely lean towards the W24, much heavier chassis and the motor should sit lower. The J22 parking brake should be checked though.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Where do you buy your tires???? Best be looking at least $2600 for a set of tires if not a bit more. Michelin anyway.
It was just a guess based on what I paid for 6 8R19.5s from Simpletire.com
Old 12-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #11
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe National is out of business. Tiffin will be around for a long time, I would go with the make that is still making coaches.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
The manufacturer of the Dolphin was National RV and they are out of business. Parts should not be a problem unless it needs body parts. I blew a front tire on a Tropical (same manufacture as the Dolphin) And it wiped out the fender and inner pan. When I went to get a new one I was told that one had to be made that none were in stock. I traded it off. Other than body parts you should have no problems getting parts.
Mel
Old 12-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would go with the Tiffin if the DW likes the FP for both. National is long gone and there is no longer any customer support. They are orphans. I agree with you on the difference in the Chassis. Heavier is better but it's not a deal breaker and Workhorse is still around. Also do both rigs have the 6 speed Allison with the grade brake? Now that would make a difference to me. The 2004-05 years were the transition years for that. My buddy has an 05 Itasca on a W-22 with the 6 speed and grade brake and loves it. My last rig was an 05 W-20 with the 5 speed and no grade brake. If you tow it's really worth it. Good maintenance records are a real plus too. Have fun. Buying coach is always fun

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
I would go with the Tiffin if the DW likes the FP for both. National is long gone and there is no longer any customer support. They are orphans. I agree with you on the difference in the Chassis. Heavier is better but it's not a deal breaker and Workhorse is still around. Also do both rigs have the 6 speed Allison with the grade brake? Now that would make a difference to me. The 2004-05 years were the transition years for that. My buddy has an 05 Itasca on a W-22 with the 6 speed and grade brake and loves it. My last rig was an 05 W-20 with the 5 speed and no grade brake. If you tow it's really worth it. Good maintenance records are a real plus too. Have fun. Buying coach is always fun

I left you a PM.