Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

I sure would NOT make such a purchase. Way too much money for such an old coach and I would argue that there is very little chance that they could bring it up to "2013 standards" even if they tried.

Only if you had always had your heart set on owning that particular year and brand of coach would it make any sense at all to me.

Best of luck in your search.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
You need to shop, as mentioned earlier here it is a buyer's market, for the price you mention you should do very well shopping a newer coach, probably with slides and, have a better resale value if you "want out".

I bought a gas class A nice shape, low miles, and much newer....now I know you can't compare gas to DP, and it was WAY below your price quote, but...using the nada and other sites for reference I got it for about 30% below "low retail". Took a few months of shopping, some travel and looking, but very happy I did.

Tom and Patty
The "Rode Crew"
2004 National RV, Seabreeze 1341, F-53 22K, Chevy Malibu toad.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
I love your attitude to buy a motorhome, and live the dream of traveling and seeing this country. If not now, when? But I don't like the story you have been told about this particular motorhome. Heirs don't do that, and even if a lot of that work was done, I would be suspect as to why it needed it. Flood damage, maybe? You are talking about spending the better part of $100,000 for a "refurbed" rig that was build when you were 57 years old. You can do much better than that, and get something newer, with warranty, for that amount of money.

And as has already been said, you may find it tough to insure for anywhere near your purchase price, and if was in an accident or fire, the insurance company would likely total it with not much damage, and pay you their average book value.

Go to a place like Lazy Days in Florida; look at hundreds of motorhomes, and find one that is abetter fit. They will service it, replace and repair what it needs, warranty it, and you can enjoy your travels.

All the best.
USAF 1965-1971; USCG Master
2002 Horizon 36LD - 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Hey if you can afford to buy it outright and repair it when needed and you just love it, why not. Just be sure the story is true before you buy. That kind of money for a scam is a real shame no matter what your financial situation is and the headaches will soon sour a great plan and shorten your life in the bargain.

You can't take it with you, go out with flair no matter what you buy.

1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #19

Thanks to all who took the time to give their opinions. Good points made by all. Looks like the consensus is "don't touch this deal". I'm convinced. I also appreciate the suggestions on other places to look for newer models.
Lincolnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
Country Coach Owners Club
A decent place to look at rigs is about one hour from you in Grass Valley.

Demartini RV has had a pretty good reputation as a non pressure sales organization. I assume they still do.

There are a couple of nice rigs in the "Used Diesel" list with about 30,000 miles on the clock in the price range you were considering:

DeMartini R.V. Sales, Recreational vehicles (RVs), Holiday* Rambler** Motorhomes, Monaco Motorhomes, Monaco Coach Corporation, Endeavor, Scepter,** Imperial, Dynasty,* Windsor, Camelot, Navigator, Vacationer, Admiral,** Ambassador, trailers, campers,

If nothing else, the pictures give a good idea of what various rigs have inside. Their write ups are detailed.

Keep in mind that their prices anticipate someone trading their rig on a new one. Sometimes those buyers have no equity in their old rig, but still want a newer one. The dealer will inflate the trade in price but not discount the sale price as much as they could. If you have no trade, there may be quite a bit of negotiating room. Only the dealer knows.......
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Lincolnier View Post
Thanks to all who took the time to give their opinions. Good points made by all. Looks like the consensus is "don't touch this deal". I'm convinced. I also appreciate the suggestions on other places to look for newer models.

Smart move.
Stewart & Kim. 2011 Serrano 31V, MaxForce 7 w/ Allison 6 Sp. Fiat 500 Sport Diesel Pusher.
Surge Guard 3450, TST 510, Sliverleaf VMSpc, RVND 7710. Blue Ox Tow. 2010 Arctic Cat 700 TRV.
Someday your life may flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #22
Lincolnier, I didn't realize that you were in Calif. That link that Dean posted for DiMartini RV is a very good place to look. I just checked it out, and they have some very nice choices. One of them is the 2003 Itasca Horizon, 36LD. I have that same model in a 2002, and we have had it for 10 years this year. It has been trouble-free, and a pleasure to drive. 36' is easy to get in and out of almost any CG you are likely to want to be in, including state parks. and roomy enough for 2. Winnebago factory is in Iowa, parts are readily available, and dealers are in every state.

DiMartini also has some other nice motorhomes on their website.
USAF 1965-1971; USCG Master
2002 Horizon 36LD - 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #23
I'm a completely new potential RV owner. I 'm 74,,retired and want to see the USA up close and personal over the next 2-3yrs while my health holds out.

I'm told I have an "opportunity" to buy a completely rebuilt by Navistar 1995 Monaco Crown Royal which was custom built from the beginning. It has a 400hp Cummings DP which has been completely renovated. All belts, bushings, tubing, air suspension, ventilation, plumbing, wiring and custom paint have been done. Interior has been updated to Monaco's custom 2013 models. 6 new radial tires. Engine has 27,000 original miles. Apparently it's been stored in a covered shed for several years until the children who inherited it decided to refurbish it and sell.

I'm told this model was once the queen of the road. It's older by the built year (1995) only. The refurbishment has brought it to nearly 2013 levels. This all sounds great because it comes from some very credible sources - - including the renovation project manager at Navistar.

The problem is the proposed asking price of $95,000. I could probably negotiate it down to about $80,000. Regardless I would still have a 1995 Monaco custom made Crown Royal. Like upgrades on homes, you get very little back on resale.

Is this an "opportunity" or a dumb deal??
Dumb deal!
wilco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #24
Tiffin Owners Club
I bought from demartini in grass valley and will again someday they are decent people to work with, gave me what i wanted for my trade, and cut the price on the new one to my terms
Very happy with them.
johnboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #25
Just watched video on the 1995 model of the coach that interested you.

Many unique features that would make the operation simple and the handling very sweet. Pantograph cargo doors with slide-out trays, redundant inverters, M11 Cummins engine, Roadmaster 8 airbag chassis, real wood cabinetary, docking lights, side and rear cameras, large tankage, hydro-hot heating etc.

Perfect type of unit for what you want to accomplish.

Don't give up all the features and their inherent benefits as I agree with the "queen of the road" description.

Also do not be persuaded that an older diesel pusher is just too complex for a seasoned citizen buying their first RV. That certainly has not been my experience in 30,000 miles and 4 years plus of owning a 1998 flagship model.

Just find one at a better price point or a similarly appointed unit at a better price point.

While it is true that it is a buyer's market, there are very few units on the market with the features of the coach you were interesting in at the price range that was being asked.

BTW, if the last will and testament told the executor to refurbish the coach completely and then sell it on the open market, that is what he or she must do! Maybe the old boy loved the coach and knew the heirs were not the right folks to keep looking after it.

1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #26
I have seen many 'refurbished' items in the past and have bought quite a few and have seen the quality of what most people refer to as 'refurbished' - apparently it means completely different things to buyers and sellers.

Unless the refurbishment was done (with receipts available) at a well known and experienced RV refurbisher/repairer or factory then I would be very suspicious of the quality.

The chances of bringing a 1995 coach up to the standard of a 2013 model is slim to none.

If I were interested in spending $80,000 on an older diesel coach then a Prevost would be on my shopping list for sure. But given your age and that you want to travel, not spend your time tinkering, the advice to look for something newer is well given. Dealers will be a lot more expensive than a private sale, especially in the current market, but an iron-clad warranty should be worth the extra $$.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #27
A year ago we sold our 3 slide, 38ft, 400hp Tiffin Allegro Bus for $115K. Our coach was 1 owner, had been serviced exactly as Freightliner required. Additionally, it had 28K miles and had been stored inside when not being used it's entire life. It was perfect inside and out, not a single scratch/blemish on the coach anywhere.
The price for the coach your looking at is waaaaaay out of line. There's simply too many newer, well equipped and nicely taken care of coaches for sale that are in the price range your looking at. I'm also 74, Have owned 10 RV's including 3 top of the line DP'er, take my word for it, this is NOT a good deal.

RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote