Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #1

Opportunity or Stupid Move

I'm a completely new potential RV owner. I 'm 74,,retired and want to see the USA up close and personal over the next 2-3yrs while my health holds out.

I'm told I have an "opportunity" to buy a completely rebuilt by Navistar 1995 Monaco Crown Royal which was custom built from the beginning. It has a 400hp Cummings DP which has been completely renovated. All belts, bushings, tubing, air suspension, ventilation, plumbing, wiring and custom paint have been done. Interior has been updated to Monaco's custom 2013 models. 6 new radial tires. Engine has 27,000 original miles. Apparently it's been stored in a covered shed for several years until the children who inherited it decided to refurbish it and sell.

I'm told this model was once the queen of the road. It's older by the built year (1995) only. The refurbishment has brought it to nearly 2013 levels. This all sounds great because it comes from some very credible sources - - including the renovation project manager at Navistar.

The problem is the proposed asking price of $95,000. I could probably negotiate it down to about $80,000. Regardless I would still have a 1995 Monaco custom made Crown Royal. Like upgrades on homes, you get very little back on resale.

Is this an "opportunity" or a dumb deal??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #2

Any time you pay more than book value, for a coach you run the risk of loss, both at resale and insured value. Should the worst happen and your insurance company will only cut you a check for 30,000 or less. You may be able to get declared value insurance $$$.
If the floor plan works for you, and you plan on keeping it for a long time, .... it's your money.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, it's not a "Navistar", it's a Monaco and they're out of business.

Also, it's way too much money for that rig!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Personally, I wouldn't buy a coach without slides whether it be Crown Royale or Foretravel or Prevost so even if you knocked a '0' off the price, I still wouldn't be interested. That said, if you are travelling alone or maybe a couple, you could probably do okay without slides (although I still wouldn't want to do it - without slides, it's like living in a long hallway) however I think the price is WAY too high. For what it's worth, NADAGuides low retail is $29500 and I don't think you can even get that for them because of the lack of slides - there just aren't enough interested buyers.
1995 Monaco CROWN ROYALE Series SIGNATURE 400HP 40' Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides
Old 05-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
who ever spun that yarn is pulling your leg pretty hard. Something thats supposed to be the queen of the road should not need total refurbishment...ever. And I cant say Ive ever heard of children inheriting something... only to dump massive cash into a black hole to get 3-4x actual cash value??
Also Ive never heard of an OEM having a "renovation project manager". Does he hang around all day and buy old banged up, abused RVs to bring back to their former glory?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #6

I think that the input you are getting so far is not taking consideration of your chronological age or your financial assets.

Based upon all the work that has been done and the fact that it was a very high end coach in its day, NADA values are not relevant.

Based upon your age and the presumption that you have the cash (likely only Credit Unions would make approve a loan on a coach of this vintage) to make the purchase and are not dependent upon selling it down the road and re-couping the cash....go for it.

Slides or no slides, who cares if YOU like the floor plan and it will give YOU some pride of ownership and more importantly ease of ownership.

She will certainly be a head-turner going down the road!

My 2 cents!

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Old 05-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some banks won't finance an RV of that age. And you could buy a new class A for as low as 75K. The mileage is good. Will they give you any kind of warranty or can you buy an extended warranty for this model? Get a third party to check it out first. A lot to ponder but I say if you like the rig and you have the funds or financing in place, go for it.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #8

For that money you can buy a 2004 - 2005 DP, MH made by one of the high-end coach manufacturers. Do some internet shopping around. PPL Motorhomes.com is a good place to start. You cannot purchase an extended service contract on a MH older than 13-15 years old; another consideration.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you could keep it for 7-10 years, it would be a good buy. You just have to know that in 3-4 years you will have a hard time getting 15-20 thousand for it.

If is as nice as you say, it could be a lot of fun to own, and after all what good is money if you don't use it to enjoy life?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I realize I'm making judgments about your stage in life, your inexperience with motorhomes, your mechanical skills/abilities, your health, your financial condition, but given the story in your post, I would run the other way! I'm a little younger and on our 4th motorhome in 7 years, having purchased the first two at repo auctions, but I believe this 'cream puff' will be the early death of you! You stated you wanted a motorhome you could enjoy seeing the USA, not that you wanted a mechanical project. Everything on a motorhome either wears out or ages out, and I can guarantee that these problems will surface at some remote campground or on a two-lane road. This is a 'flip-this-house' coach, lipstick-on-a-pig approach(although originally not a pig), done by a third party for profit. No one but a diligent former owner can know to repair all the minor, hidden problems that all motorhomes have, and you don't want to be doing all those repairs yourself. I agree with others that the story given you is 'fishy' and the price is way out of line. I agree that for $80-95k you would be better served time-wise, utility-wise, and money-wise to purchase a 2004-2006 high end DP(I just traded one in last week), or a 1-3 year old gasser. There are plenty of coaches in that price range that come on the market private sale because of health issues, death, or financial troubles. You just have to look for awhile to know what's good and bad. I learn a lot more of what to look for every time I buy a coach. Lazy Days in Tampa buys over 50/month of these used coaches 2005 and newer that come available for the same reasons. Good luck in your search. JMHO.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #11

Many excellent responses here to the OP's potential purchase.

Like several have said, there is always, always something that needs addressed on these things....something needs fixed, maintained or improved. IMHO, one of the most important things to remember is that these things are called "motor-homes" for a reason. They are a home on wheels, to one degree or another. And like all homes that need to be maintained, there is always something that needs to be done....that simple. The bigger the "home", the bigger the list of things to do.

These large coaches bring with them, most of the time, great pleasure, comfort and flexibility. However, they can also bring with them frequent heartburn, maintenance demands and, unfortunately, significant expenditures. If it were just a case of cruising around America, enjoying the scenery and changing oil occasionally, that would be great. But it's not. Just read all of the posts on this forum to get a better idea of what is really involved in owning, operating and maintaining a motorhome these days.

I am not trying to diminish your dream....that would be shame on me. Just trying to add my thoughts to your decision that may be helpful. You could see the USA quite comfortably in a new(er) Class C for a lot less money and potential aggravation. Just MO....

PLEASE let us know what you decide....it will be valuable to other folks posting. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My opinion: This coach is way overpriced! NADA retail value is $33,680, low retail is $27,950. Good luck even getting that. These older coaches without slide outs are difficult to sell.

It's a buyers market out there right now. I would recommend looking for a newer model.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnier View Post
I'm a completely new potential RV owner. I 'm 74,,retired and want to see the USA up close and personal over the next 2-3yrs while my health holds out.
Wow....good for you. I think your plan is great..... I just don't think this is the right MH. I agree with the post that suggests something is "fishy" with this story!

If 100k is your budget, then you'll be able to secure a much better, NEWER, more dependable DP with a story that makes sense. Look after the rig and a couple of years down the road you'll be able to sell it with a clear conscience & at a good price.

Try to remember that the "search" is a big part of the fun.... Just don't forget the exit strategy is an important part of the journey.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeapBigEngin View Post
Many excellent responses here to the OP's potential purchase.

Like several have said, there is always, always something that needs addressed on these things....something needs fixed, maintained or improved. IMHO, one of the most important things to remember is that these things are called "motor-homes" for a reason. They are a home on wheels, to one degree or another. And like all homes that need to be maintained, there is always something that needs to be done....that simple. The bigger the "home", the bigger the list of things to do.

These large coaches bring with them, most of the time, great pleasure, comfort and flexibility. However, they can also bring with them frequent heartburn, maintenance demands and, unfortunately, significant expenditures. If it were just a case of cruising around America, enjoying the scenery and changing oil occasionally, that would be great. But it's not. Just read all of the posts on this forum to get a better idea of what is really involved in owning, operating and maintaining a motorhome these days.

I am not trying to diminish your dream....that would be shame on me. Just trying to add my thoughts to your decision that may be helpful. You could see the USA quite comfortably in a new(er) Class C for a lot less money and potential aggravation. Just MO....

PLEASE let us know what you decide....it will be valuable to other folks posting. Thanks.

That is an excellent response to the OP. Well said.

IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote