Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Option for converting fluorescent lights to LED

I've been considering "upgrading" some of the fluorescent lights in my coach to LED... but all of the options that I have found seem really expensive! I was going to go with some of the units that look like a fluorescent bulb (even though they still require re-wiring the light fixture since the LEDs don't require the ballast anymore), but just couldn't get over the price!

So I kept searching and found LED strip lights for pretty cheap online... and then found this video from the RVgeeks on YouTube about this exact same thing:

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #2

Interesting, we had the ballast in one of our fluorescent fixtures go bad while down in Quartzsite AZ this year so took it over to a vendor at the big tent and had it converted to the LED set up.

The fellow selling them even did the change out for me at a total cost $58.00 I was surprised as I figured it would be much more...They're really bright..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Jim,

Glad to hear you're happy with your upgrade. I know a lot of people have had issues with the color and/or the brightness of LED upgrades.

Since I'm looking at doing all 7 lights in my coach, I'm a bit leery of spending almost $60 a piece to do it. With the LED strips, I should be able to get away with upgrading all of them for a lot less than $100 total! Plus... doing it myself seems like it could be a lot of fun. With the LED strip lights, I can put as many or as few strips in each individual light as I want... so I can customize the light level. For instance, the one in the bathroom could stand to be brighter... so I could probably fit 2 or 3 strips in place of each fluorescent bulb in the fixture. I may not save as much energy as using one strip per bulb... but at least I'll end up with more light (I hope)!

I'll have to report back when I order the strips and get some installed.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Just did one of mine lights with six rows of strip lights. It is way brighter than the original fluorescent tubes, maybe brighter than necessary. So I installed a dimmer control and now I can have as much or as little light as I want. Going to do all my lights this way.
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebings View Post
Just did one of mine lights with six rows of strip lights. It is way brighter than the original fluorescent tubes, maybe brighter than necessary. So I installed a dimmer control and now I can have as much or as little light as I want. Going to do all my lights this way.
Don,

Do you have any info on the dimmer you installed? That sounds like a great idea... I'd really like to do the same thing.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tried one of the LED bulbs in the light fixture over the table. My wife hated the color so I had to take it out.She only likes the warm white and they're kind of hard to find but getting better. May put it in one of the bay lights. Still want to convert that light as it takes 4 incandescent bulbs and takes quite a bit of power when boondocking. Four of the LED's would take about the same power as one of the standard bulbs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just completed 12 florescent lights using 4 strips for each fixture $107.96 total. Light is comparable to the two florescent tubes, possibly just a hair brighter. Also switched out all the G4 halogen bulb puck lights for 190 lumen 12 SMD 5050 LED's for $1.77 ea. Originally started with White lights but they were too harsh. Installed all Warm white and all is good. It cost me less to convert each florescent lights than the cost of two new florescent tubes.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I tried one of the LED bulbs in the light fixture over the table. My wife hated the color so I had to take it out.She only likes the warm white and they're kind of hard to find but getting better. May put it in one of the bay lights. Still want to convert that light as it takes 4 incandescent bulbs and takes quite a bit of power when boondocking. Four of the LED's would take about the same power as one of the standard bulbs.
You might want to check out these lights from LEDWholesalers.com:

www.LEDwholesalers.com - Brightest Tower Type T10 18 SMD LED 5050 12V Ac/dc

I put three of these in my dining table light. The color is good... and they are brighter than the 921 incandescent wedge bulbs that were there before them. Very happy with them (even though they're not cheap... trying to save my money on the fluorescent conversion, LOL!).
Old 03-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for sharing. I think I will give this a shot.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #10

I used 5 of the 3528 strips and have a switch that can be all 5, off or just 1 for watching TV. The 5m 3528, 300 SMD Cool White strip was ~$10 from China on Ebay.

All 5 lit.

Florscent

All 5 with cover.

1 with cover.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We've done both. Converted the ThinLites with replacement bulbs from Marinebeam Replacement LED bulbs for your existing boat fixtures yes pricey but very bright. We ended up putting them over into the kitchen since for cooking and baking I like more light.
Then we've done the strips and it all depends on the strips you get as to how many you "need" to use for how much light you want. Some one of the rolls we used 4 strips and for the other we needed to use 6 rows for about the same amount of light.

Here are a few other sites you might want to look at:
usLEDsupply - Your source for High Tech RGB color LED lights, DMX controllers, and LED lighting supplies at wholesale prices.
www.superlumination.com Tail Light Brake Light Turn Signal LED Bulbs
Old 03-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi John, here is the dimmer that I used. the dimmer box would not fit inside the light housing so I took the box apart and inside was a small circuit board. I took the circuit board out along with the green wire receptacle, they both fit into the end cap(opposite end from the light switch) of the light housing. I used epoxy to hole the circuit board in place. I drilled a hole in the end cap (opposite end from the light switch) and installed the dimmer control knob. It was fairly easy and kind of fun to do.
DC 12V 24V 8A Manual Dimmer Adjustable Brightness for LED Light | eBay
Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Voltage Regulator

I found that the strip LED sold in rolls are designed to run on no more than 12 volts. Since a healthy automotive (and RV) 12v system is over 13v that could be a problem.

LEDs are different from most electrical devices in that as voltage goes up current draw goes up as well. Higher current = more heat. More heat = shorter lifespan for the LEDs.

When I first converted 3 of my flourescent fixtures I found that they ran very hot. Too hot to be in direct contact with the roof IMHO. I found adjustable voltage regulators on eBay for about $5 each. Once installed I turned the output voltage down to about 9.5v before there was much change in brightness so I run them at about 10.5v. No more problem with heat.

I'd put links to the LEDs & VRs from eBay but they are no longer valid.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
My 6 strip LED light does run a lot hotter than I had expected. The strips are attached to the metal base of the light. I wonder if putting an insulation strip of some kind between the base and the light strip would help? But then the original florescent lights get pretty hot also. I will check into the voltage regulator.

Tags
lights