Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #1

Ordered vs On The Lot?

We're researching our first DP and have the Newmar Ventana LE & the Tiffin Allegro RED topping our list. It's raining here so I'm wasting time cruising on the 'net looking at units scattered across the US. Of course, I've found exactly what we want in AZ, CA, & OR. We live in Indiana.

We could drive to these units if the price was right but wonder about the chances of getting warranty work done in a timely manner at a dealer closer to home. My guess is, we'd be down the list and keep getting shuffled back if units they sold came in for work.

I've assumed that dealers would deal on units they have on their lots more than units they order for someone. Am I wrong?

Am I over optimistic thinking 25% off of the MSRP is a fair offer?

traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We're researching our first DP and have the Newmar Ventana LE & the Tiffin Allegro RED topping our list. It's raining here so I'm wasting time cruising on the 'net looking at units scattered across the US. Of course, I've found exactly what we want in AZ, CA, & OR. We live in Indiana.

We could drive to these units if the price was right but wonder about the chances of getting warranty work done in a timely manner at a dealer closer to home. My guess is, we'd be down the list and keep getting shuffled back if units they sold came in for work.

I've assumed that dealers would deal on units they have on their lots more than units they order for someone. Am I wrong?

Am I over optimistic thinking 25% off of the MSRP is a fair offer?
If it's Newmar the factory is in Nappanee IN. Not a bad place to get warranty work completed. Tiffin is in Red Bay AL and yet another place to get warranty done. Both have been known to authorize mobile techs to do work too.

JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Karen, I think that if I was gonna shell out the bucks for a new unit, I would want it to be EXACTLY the way I want it! I doubt I would ever find one just like that on the lot. I think I would decide on the brand and model I want, research what options are available on that model, write down exactly what I would want, and send the list to several dealers for quotes.

Trying to get a local dealer to service a unit that you bought out-of-town can be a real pain! I think I would take the best quote, assuming it is from an out-of-town dealer, show it to the local dealer, tell them that you really want to keep the business at home, and ask them to match it. JMHO!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
My experience, if you can afford the wait, is that you get a better deal on a special order than on the lot. Unless it's an older model they want to move. The reason is that the deal has $0 invested in a special order, so they're willing to make less on it.

If you live in Indiana, and buy a Newmar, just plan on taking it to the factory in Nappanee for service rather than a dealer. We make a service appointment every year for all the little stuff. We've only taken it to a dealer a couple times, when we just had to have something fixed before we got back to Indiana.

25% is probably a good target. I think you can get a little more on a higher end coach, maybe a little less on the cheapest ones. At some point the dealer's going to want a minimum dollar amount for profit, so the cheaper ones get a smaller discount.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We went the custom order route and I would do it again in a heartbeat. We got exactly the features we wanted & got to go participate/watch while it was being built. In the case of Newmar I understand they are very flexible about customizing during the build (cabinets, countertops, additional storage, etc).

Additionally, you should get about 28% off MSRP from the dealer when you custom order.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #6

The dealership we got our Ventana LE 3845 has a 3847 on the lot now in New Jersey. They were willing to deal on ours that was on the lot. Dylans RV, Motorhome Sales & Service , I did take ours to a dealer locally that did not carry Newmar and they were authorized to work on it by Newmar directly.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #7

HA! I hadn't thought about getting work done at the Newmar factory which is about 260 miles from us. Thanks!

We aren't opposed to used but if we go with a Newmar, I think we'd want the Comfort Drive option and the Ventana LE didn't have it till 2014. If we went with a Tiffin, we'd want to stay newer than 2012 to avoid the problems in earlier models although we did find a '10 RED whose owner says Tiffin had inspected it and found no issues. Those are the main reasons we are considering new.

The reason for ordering one is because there just aren't any the size we want in the area. We're really limited to 34-36' and that's going to be tight. Several years ago, my DH decided we really needed entry gates and he totally ignored my advice to build them farther from the road so getting into our drive can be a challenge. He also ignored my advice to make the garage we built for our current MH longer. He said that the G'town was the last MH he would ever buy. I knew better. LOL! You'd think he'd learn to listen to me.

There is a 2013 Ventana LE on a lot not too far away which we did look at and loved BUT it doesn't have CD. It's been there a long time so they may really want to deal on it but with so many saying not having CD is deal breaker, we've backed off of it. We've not driven any yet though which we would want to do, of course, but if they're aren't any the size we're interested in then that may be pretty difficult to do.

There is no real time line since we would like to sell our G'town before we move on another MH. I'll probably think of lots of questions to ask in the meantime!
Old 04-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #8

I've never driven a coach with Comfort Drive. That said, what I don't know hasn't hurt me. I love the way my Freightliner drives. I think it's like the difference between driving a really nice Impala, and then a Caddy. Sure, the Caddy drives better, but if you'd never driven one.....get what I'm driving at?
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I've never driven a coach with Comfort Drive. That said, what I don't know hasn't hurt me. I love the way my Freightliner drives. I think it's like the difference between driving a really nice Impala, and then a Caddy. Sure, the Caddy drives better, but if you'd never driven one.....get what I'm driving at?
Good point and I would imagine driving our 29' gasser vs driving a 35ish foot DP would be huge regardless of having the CD or not. It just seems anything that would help with making driving more comfortable would translate to a happier driver. A happier driver might be able to drive a little farther each day which would get us to where we want to be sooner!

I'm also thinking some about safety. To those that have CD, do you feel the coach is safer to drive?
Old 04-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #10

We did the order route, it was a better deal for us.

As for comfort drive; we had so many variables change it's hard to say what was the biggest deal. We went from 38' to 43'. Single rear axle to a tag axle, 2003 to 2013 and finally comfort steer.

I can say this, on our first trip I didn't even realize we had a 20mph cross wind for 200 miles. 800 miles no longer totally wore me out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #11

Order or off the lot: it really all depends. After specing out a Phaeton and pricing an order the salesman called back and said they had one exactly what we ordered on the lot. Said they throw in a $1K fuel card of we could pick it up by the end of the month, done!
Warranty work. Since your in Indiana then Nappanee is a good choice. Tiffin is also very good at authorizing other repair facilities for repair work. Then there's the advantage of going to Red Bay. Something everyone should experience at least once.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, there is no way I'd buy new. I prefer at least 2 years old, lightly used and 50% off MSRP. I saved over one hundred thousand dollars and it's like new.

cheers!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Well, there is no way I'd buy new. I prefer at least 2 years old, lightly used and 50% off MSRP. I saved over one hundred thousand dollars and it's like new.

cheers!
Well, I imagine most would like to buy at 50% off MSRP and we'll for sure be looking for deals like that but sometimes they just aren't there.

BUT... if people didn't buy new, there wouldn't be used.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post

cheers!

X2

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote