Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #15

As another mentioned, check the thermocouple. Sometimes just lightly cleaning the anode with a light emery cloth is all it takes. If it's dirty or covered with rust, the water heater is going to think it failed to light and shut off the gas valve.

Mark Anderson - FMCA 351514 - Louisville, KY
2007 Sportscoach Pathfinder 377DS - Freightliner XC
2006 Jeep Commander
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #16
Dunno about the OP's RV, but our '88 Winnie's fresh water drains are opened/closed by valves INSIDE the rig, not from outside below - so there might NOT have been an issue with external valves "cut off", which would certainly be an extreme and foolish action...

John Day....|'88 Winnebago Super Chief 27ft. Class A
Eastern .....|'88 KIT model 240 24 ft. 5er
Oregon ......|'02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 Quad Cab
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by jnp_macklin View Post
Properly bled..... verified by water coming out of vented pressure fitting at top of HWH.

You need an air cushion at the top of the water heater tank to accommodate the expansion of the water as it heats up. You accomplish this by merely filling the water heater tank by opening one or more hot water faucets in the RV with the tank empty. By design, as the water heater tank fills, it will leave an air cushion at the top of the tank.

If you truly have water all the way to the top of the tank, you'll have water spitting out of the pressure relief valve as the water heats up, expands and has nowhere to go.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile ON our last time out the Water Heater did not fire, but

it eventually did after running the heater for awhile. Apparently although I got the stove, oven and fridge to run your problem sounds like what we experiencd. The MH sat over the winter and I checked everything everyone else has mentioned. The Wife turned on the furnace and low and behold the water heater finnally took hold and stayed on for the rest of the week. I guess there was some trapped air in the lines that still needed to get out.

Hope this helps, still get out...take an electric heater in case you do have a cold spell.

Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #19

Carolina Campers

Give us a follow up when you can to let us know how your trip turned out and what was the result of the water heater situation.

tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #20
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
The drains were exactly like you said.... the valves were inside the basement doors.

Water pump was bad.... Small leaks, damp carpet, replaced...

Bottom of entry door repaired...

I didnt get a chance to check on the HWH yet, as I didnt get a chance to refill the onboard LP tank. We'll save that for next time.
The Macklin's - 1998 Georgie Boy 'Pursuit'
Pete: Pilot/Mechanic - Jen: Navigator/Travel Planner
Taylor & Patrick - Along for the ride....
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would check for three things: 1. Is your water heater full? If you open the pressure relief valve at the top, does water come out?
2. Is anything blocking the air intake tube? Look for bugs, mud daubers, wasps, etc. with a flashlight.
3. Replace the thermocoupler.
One other item...I had the exact same thing happen on my water heater once when I was de-winterizing. It turned out that I had opened the pressure relief valve while filling the water heater and it had gotten the wiring / control board wet. I let it sit overnight and everything fired the next morning. Hope yours is that simple.
06' Itasca Meridian 36g with CAT 350
2011 Jeep Wrangler 4-door
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #22
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I had a whole description of the events of the weekend written out but when I went to preview it, my browser locked up and I lost it all.

The weekend was fun, but busy. We had a wedding to attend on Saturday, so we ended up going home to shower and change into our good clothes, then returned home to change back into our camping gear and return to the campsite.

DS and I took a little nature hike to burn off some excess energy and wander around the nature center, and try to see "Timber" the parks new mountain lion, on display, but he was sleeping in his cave. Maybe another trip.....

I took some pictures of the outside of the MH with the awning out, but I havent gotten to the inside, because DS took all of his toys & scattered them across the coach. Not to mention we're still in the phase of figuring out "what goes where".

I'll post them as soon as I get a chance.
The Macklin's - 1998 Georgie Boy 'Pursuit'
Pete: Pilot/Mechanic - Jen: Navigator/Travel Planner
Taylor & Patrick - Along for the ride....
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #23
Fleetwood Owners Club
It must be the flux capacitor. Shoot it with some gama rays, that should work.

Welcome to the site, and the joys of RVing!
Tim & Mary Discovery 40X. Chevy Tahoe. RVM32
"I've been lost now, days uncounted..."GFR"
huntnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome aboard. You will get the bugs worked out as the rest of us have and all will be well. Luckly you sound like you have a handle on things and don't have to hire someone to do everything. Take you time, do some research here and other places and you will find your answers. Good luck with your new home. Seeya on the road....
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #25

Originally Posted by jnp_macklin View Post
Next on the agenda is the HWH which fires, runs for about 4-5 seconds then shuts the gas off. I can restart the heater, and the process repeats. But the heater never stays fired for more than 5 seconds. I have checked for obstructions in the vent pipe, and its clear. Anyone have an idea?

I have LP (albeit less than 1/4 tank according to the gauge on the tank) and the stove-top, oven and LP fridge all fire and operate normally. I have not even ventured to the furnace at this point. Its going to be near 80* this weekend. I don't think I'm gonna need it. But we wont have hot water yet either...

So our shakedown run is back on....., but with cautious optimism.
I had the same exact problem with my Suburban HWH; I took the cover off and cleaned it out with an air hose which blew a lot of rust out, after that it has worked perfect each time I've used it. I hope yours is that easy to fix.

2002 Holiday Rambler Presidential 5th wheel, 2002 Dodge 3500 dually Cummins
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote