Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2013, 01:35 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Our Journey East - Gas Mileage to date - 1999 Tiffin Allegro Bus - V10 Banks Power

Hi All...

Have been blogging on our trip east and posted some results of gas consumption after 1600 miles on 1999 Tiffin Allegro Bus with V10 and Banks Power System. About 40% complete on trip east to PEI from BC, through the U.S. Only 5 full days so far. (Gas .. not diesel)

FYI ... I have saved 26% on fuel costs in the U.S. based on the price in Mission, BC at $1.35 Cdn per litre.

Other entries for each day of travel, but not a lot about the motorhome itself.
Google Maps is a cool addition, and fun to track a trip... check the link.

* * Cogitation & Buoyancy ... look for July 28th post on Gas consumption.

cheers
sd

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:37 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Nice trip ,it seems this is the year for Canadians to travel east .We are going
in September .Your gas mileage is about the same as mine .

Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #3

Welcome to the US. Have a good time and a safe trip. The fuel mileage you are getting is about the same as I get in my 1999.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #4

I have the 460 with Banks - 38' with tag and towing a small car and this is what I'm getting - also heading East but in the US

Level Ground - 50-55mph - 8.5mpg
Hilly Ground - 50-55mph - 7.5mpg
Interstate - 60-65mpg - 6.5mpg
Interstate - 65-70mpg - 6.0mpg
Deduct around 0.5mpg if using dash AC

Just in case anyone has a similar coach and wants to know the typical fuel consumption

I'm part way through our vacation trip x-country and we have the Banks on our 460 but not the transcommand. However we are at 22,000#, 38' and towing a Smart Car and I have been keeping a mileage log because I really like the way the 460+Banks runs and the way it takes most hills. When it gets to 6-8% grades all bets are off because everything stuggles with them.

I have found that if I can anticipate the grade and take her out of OD and keep the revs at 3500 she pulls like a train. If I let the speed die off too much she is really struggling between 3rd with revs that are too slow and 2nd where revs are too high - my old RV had a bolt on OD unit that split the gears and would do much like one on this rig.

Anyway, these are the mileage figures so far - for our weight/length I'm quite happy with them so far.

Indio - Las Vegas via I15 - two really long, steep grades - 7.8mpg

Las Vegas - Bryce Canyon - I15 - SR20 - climbing to 8000' - 6.1mpg

Bryce Canyon - Ogden, UT - SR89 - I15 - descending to 2000' - 9.2mpg

Ogden - Idaho Falls - I15 - pretty level - 10.0mpg

Idaho Falls to North Fork, ID - climbs to 7700' and down - 8.2mpg

North Fork, ID to West Yellowstone via Rexburg - 4000' climbing to 7000' - 7.4mpg

West Yellowstone to Hardin, MT - nice easy drive - 9.1mpg

Hardin, MT to Sturgis, SD - very hilly and fast speeds - 6.2mpg

Sturgis SD to Sioux Falls - easy drive, AC all the way and fast - 7.0mpg

Sioux Falls to Carthage, MO - fast freeway (65mph), AC on - 6.6mpg

Carthage, MO to Memphis, TN - small roads across the Ozarks, AC on - 55mph, hilly - 7.1mpg

Memphis, TN to Nashville, TN - Interstate at 60-65mph - 7.2mpg

What is becoming obvious is that the AC takes a toll, as does the Interstate. It encourages faster driving compared to the smaller roads and that's making a big difference to the fuel consumption. Obvious really, but it's nice to keep track of these things as I always thought that the easier driving of the interstate with cruise control would give better consumption but the higher speeds kill the economy.

I am pretty satisfied with those numbers for an 'old' design of engine and a fairly heavy coach. I do believe much of the credit goes to the Banks kit.

It's interesting to compare it to a newer V10 and shorter coach
Old 07-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
steveclv try running you genny and the roof AC's, the genny will use a lot less gas in a hour than your engine using the dash AC. Had a 460 Ford and it works believe me. Jim
Old 08-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Thanks !

Good to see other figures and experiences...
I ran it faster the last few days ... 63-67mph, so will be interesting to update the fuel logs...
cheers
sd
Old 08-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #7

The only issue running the genny and roof ACs is that this is a 38' coach and with the huge expanse of glass up front, the roof ACs are not sufficient to keep the front cab area cool in anything over about 85F. The dash AC works well and can direct streams of cold air to your face and so is much more effective.

Also, the 6.5KW genny runs 1.4gh under full load (User Manual). At 7mpg @ 60mph, the engine is using 8.6gph.
I estimate that the Dash AC uses the equivalent of 0.5mpg so using it @ 60mph means that we use 9.3gph - hence the dash AC is drawing approx 0.7gph which is rather more efficient than running the genny with both roof ACs - I suspect if we only ran 1 roof AC it would be on a par.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #8

Steveclv, I will take some of that 10.0 MPG. I went to PA in the Spring (2600 miles round trip) and with pulling a Honda CRV on a dolly I average 7.8 mpg. I had flat land, high wind and mountains. I don't run my cruise control in the mountains. I found out that if I could hit the bottom at 65 I would be doing about 55 when I got to the top and still be in overdrive. That wasn't all the mountains, but most. It took a lot of concentration to keep my foot still and not give it any more fuel. If I move my foot at all it would kick out of overdrive. I am not as old as my Handle says, but I have been driving trucks for a couple days. LOL My MH has the V10 and does not have the Banks system.

Tags
gas, journey, power, tiffin, v10