Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #1

Our Maiden Voyage

Back in August, we purchased our first motorhome. A 1997 Fleetwood Discovery 36RS. After purchasing it, we did some things to it. Ensuring it was up to traveling. We had a new roof installed, new tires, and new fuel lines. We had everything checked as well. We were planning on using it for our vacation the end of June, but were also wanting to do a smaller trip first, to see if we had any issues. Things got busy with work and that never happened. June rolls around and it is time for us to go on our vacation. We drove from Phoenix, AZ to Spokane, WA and back with our 5 dogs.

We left Phoenix on the morning of Saturday June 16th, towing my husband's 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser on a tow dolly. The second night, the GPS got the best of me. I had heard to verify the GPS, prior to following it, but I didn't. I learned the hard way I should next time. I didn't get stuck or anything. Just ended up on a narrow, not well maintained, country road for about 40 miles, in the dark of course. We finally get to the campground at 11 that night. Neither of us were in a good mood by then. The next morning, I go to check the tow vehicle and noticed something. The nut on the ball had fallen off, causing the tongue of the tow dolly to break through the rear bumper of the motorhome. Luckily it wedged in between the hitch and the metal plate behind the bumper. If it would have gone any farther forward, it could have hit the radiator. Luckily it didn't and it didn't drag on the ground or come unhooked all together.

The only other issue we had on the whole trip was one of the fuel injectors came loose and was spraying diesel fuel out the back. The PT Cruiser was covered in it. Luckily it was an easy and cheap issue to deal with. $55 to wash the motorhome and car to get all the diesel off of them and $50 for them to find the issue and to tighten it. I can live with that.

The majority of the places we stayed at were KOA campgrounds. A couple were not. Several we would definitely go back to and would recommend.

Our 5 dogs all did great on the trip. 3 of them are labs (one 8 yo chocolate, one 8yo yellow, and one 14 yo white lab.). One of the other ones is a 7 year old boxer mix and a 15 yo hound. When we checked into the campsites, I always mentioned we had dogs. I never said how many and none of them ever asked. One did ask what breeds and I just said labs. At the one park we stayed at in Spokane, the both of us left for a couple of hours. When we got back, the guy across from us came over to inform us that our neighbor had called to complain about our dogs barking while we were out. No one else came to us to say anything else. For the most part, we tried not to leave them in the campground alone.

Met a few nice people at the various places we stayed at.

In the end, I think we did all right for our first trip. We both love the motorhome and are already looking forward to our next trip in it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like you had an adventurous maiden voyage. If you have a rear view camera leave in on when traveling. It will let you look back at the toad. Plus you can get a good view, when passing vehicles, when you can change lanes.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like a pretty good maiden voyage
Continue to enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #4

Congrats on the maiden voyage!

We travel with three dogs: a German Shepherd, a Black Lab, and a Golden Retriever. They are very well-mannered, but just to be sure they are not tempted to bark at something happening outside, we close all the shades and turn on the radio. In nearly 40 yrs of RV'ing we've never had anyone mention that our dogs barked.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Sounds like you had an adventurous maiden voyage. If you have a rear view camera leave in on when traveling. It will let you look back at the toad. Plus you can get a good view, when passing vehicles, when you can change lanes.

Happy Trails!!!
I do leave the rear view camera on while we are driving. The only problem is that it is from 1997 as well and is black/white. When the sun goes down, can't see out of it. If I hit the breaks on the rig, it lights it up enough to tell the car is still back there. I'll probably update the camera to a more modern one that can see at night.

Tags
voyage