Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 11:56 AM   #15

Eddie: I once had your upcoming experience as did all these forum RVers. I will offer you this...your first experience is your deep breath shake down. You will be discovering more than you could imagine about your RV...including where all the switches are. So here is a link to the RV Buyers Checklist.... perhaps you will print it and take it with you and then objectively walk around your RV and take notes, while using the checklist as a guide. I use the checklist still to help me remember what maintenance I am approaching....whether putting dry lube in my numerous key tumblers or inspecting the under chassis....the list is helpful. iRV2 Forums - Files - Used MH Checklist

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
Honestly, if all goes well with your coach, I can't think of too many things to suggest other than relax and have a great time. As you said, make sure you are parked close to hookups. Also, when plugging in to the electricity, always turn the breaker switch off at the outlet first (usually they are already turned off), so you don't blow a fuse.

Secondly, if you are completely brand new to this, have you ever practiced emptying your tanks? If not, I would consider running your faucets to fill your gray tank and practice emptying that one first. That way, if you have any mishaps or spills, it will be with relatively clean water. Believe me, you don't want that to happen with your black tank!

Most RV parks I've ever been to are filled with fellow RV-ers who, for the most part, are some of the friendliest and most helpful people you will ever meet. If you have questions after you get there, you can either post them here on the forum or grab one of your neighbors wherever you are, and you will find people to help you.

Best of luck, and have fun!
Naaah.... just do this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-robin-williams-28605471-400-600.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	94091  

Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recommend to do what I did and go to an RV park close by for one night and do a test run before you head out. This way you can see what you need and learn what to do and resolve all those issues before you drive far far away from home base. I did it had a list of things to handle and my rig was brand new.

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsperfect View Post
Consider buying some cheap walky talkys. My wife would be back there yellin and i cpould not hear her so i bought a set at radio shacks. They work fine for directions. Then when the grand kids show up i put one behind a picture i hang on the "talking tree". great fun
Or you can just talk to each other on your cell phones..using the speaker. That keeps both your hands free to work the steering wheel. It also gives the DW something to do with at least one of her arms...other than making those weird, meaningless gestures. Just make sure both of you understand what is right and what is left and when to stop. Port and starboard are nautical terms and likely to just add confusion...better left to boaters.

As Joan Rivers would say "can we talk here?" I mean about dealing with poop...for me, the least enjoyable aspect of RVing. Have on hand at least two 10' sections of common, good quality sewer hose...along with an assortment of connections. You can buy a 45 degree clear elbow with a water hose attachment for flushing out the sewer hose. Then you get to watch...how fun! Whenever we hook up, we always open the grey tank and leave the black tank closed. That is because we are constantly showering, doing dishes and washing clothes. Therefore our grey tank fills up fast and if inadvertently left closed, begins filling up the shower tub. After that the motorhome would become a fish bowl. Rather than trying to construct some sort of an engineering marvel to support the hose, or using those expandable "slunkies" that just break, try leaving the hose on the ground. Just like in your house, you need to have a trap for preventing sewer gases from coming back into the coach...unless you like smelling everybody else's stuff. Always use a deodorizing treatment in the black tank. Forget the quilted Charmin and buy the flimsiest paper you can. We never empty the black tank until it is full, unless the coach is not going to be used for any length of time. Then it should be rinsed out.

As for avoiding those Robin Williams "moments" just make sure the campground connection is tight. They differ greatly in both configuration and condition. If unsure, try placing a heavy bag of sand on top of the connection to prevent a disaster. Certainly better than having one hand on the lever and contemplating whether or not you can sprint to the connection before all hell breaks loose. However, it still may happen. Last year I bought new sewer hoses (due to leaks) and had no concern about pulling that dreaded black tank lever. To my surprise, a brown geyser appeared from the top of the hose and rose about 10' into the air. Luckily it was far enough away so that I didn't need a shower. Close inspection revealed a large hole in the middle of the hose, with numerous bird droppings about a bird-butt distance away. Probably was that darn woodpecker that I saw hanging around the place.

One last thought on this subject...save the black tank business for anytime other than first thing in the morning. I would rather wake up with Folgers in my cup than a whiff of you know what up my nose.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #19

Rexhall Owners Group
Once upon a time....on a very hot day I decided to hook up the electric as soon as I was stopped so that the A/C would run. While out there I decided that I might as well hook up the water, and being a considerate camper I stowed the excess hose neatly under the edge of the RV. Then went inside, leveled with the jacks and put the slides out. Going to wash my hands I discovered there was no water. Hmmm. I remembered turning on the spigot . Going out to investigate I discovered that I had lowered a jack down onto the neatly stowed water hose. Luckily it was not significantly damaged (Only slightly crunched ) and all I had to do was reverse the sequence. Now when I arrive at a site, after parking I get out, and do a walk around to check for obstacles that would be in the way of the hook ups and slides. Then I go back in and lower the jacks to level the coach, put out the slides, and complete the utility hookup.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #20

Ditto the advice to spend a night "camping" in your driveway first.

Use this campout to make sure you know how to turn on the electricity,turn on your water pump, fill the water tanks, work the toilet, light the water heater, etc. If you have an accessible sewer clean-out nearby, you can dump your black and gray water tanks as well.

Also, be aware that if you have a gas-absorption refrigerator (the typical 2-way RV Dometic or Norcold) that it will take about 24 hours to cool down completely. Don't expect to be able to load up the fridge, turn it on and go, like you could a residential fridge.

If you can, spent some time in a big empty parking lot somewhere driving, backing and parking your RV; you may be astonished if you aren't used to driving a big vehicle. "Tail swing", where the back end of the rig pivots waaaay out to the opposite side from the rear wheels while turning is probably the cause of most first-timer accidents.

Get a pull-through spot for your first campsite, if you can. It will make one less issue for you to worry about.

Here's a great video to help with some of the driving tips of a new rig.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:26 PM   #21

If you read through these stupid things they've done, you'll know what/how to do, and what NOT to do...
Stupid stuff you've done.....
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #22

Make sure you have shore power plug adaptors. When we bought the rev. There was a box full. Got home and discovered he had kept them. Ran out to Wallys bfr leaving and got the two I needed (50 to 30 and 30 to 110) fyi WalMarts usually have a decent rv section. needed the 110 at our 1st stop.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #23

Make a "test cap" for your tank drains.

Get a new plain cover with seals so it will cap the drain connection then locate a small ball valve or other fawcet type thing from plumbing department.

They make one for drip irrigation that works well as it has hose fitting.

Then get cap that covers the place where hose attaches.

Drill correct hole to install valve into csp and install valve and place cap on valve then replace factory drain cap with this one.

Now when preparing to connect stinky slinky you first remove small cap (safety if you forget to close valve).

If nothing comes out you open the ball valve slowly and if nothing comes out you are good but if something does then attach green hose to valve and verify gates closed and then open valve to drain chamber.

You get the idea, if a gate valve is left open or leaking it can be nasty suprise but this reduces the mess and allows it to be mittigated
Old 05-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Make a "test cap" for your tank drains.

Get a new plain cover with seals so it will cap the drain connection then locate a small ball valve or other fawcet type thing from plumbing department.

They make one for drip irrigation that works well as it has hose fitting.

Then get cap that covers the place where hose attaches.

Drill correct hole to install valve into csp and install valve and place cap on valve then replace factory drain cap with this one.

Now when preparing to connect stinky slinky you first remove small cap (safety if you forget to close valve).

If nothing comes out you open the ball valve slowly and if nothing comes out you are good but if something does then attach green hose to valve and verify gates closed and then open valve to drain chamber.

You get the idea, if a gate valve is left open or leaking it can be nasty suprise but this reduces the mess and allows it to be mittigated
This will work but it is a lot quicker and simpler to just buy and attach another gate valve like this Twist On Waste Valve, Boxed - Valterra.com | Valterra.com, prevents those nasty surprise when you take off the valve cap. Also always pull your grey valve first for a few seconds to check for leaks before you pull the black, much easier to deal with a surprise leak on the gray than the black.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
First, welcome to what we call the "lifestyle"! We bought our first coach 6 years ago and had never camped any other way but in a tent! Talk about an upgrade! My wife is a spreadsheet queen. Has a spreadsheet for everything. Has one for what needs to be checked before we leave the drive way and one for before we leave the campground. Before you ever pull out, do a walk around inside and outside! Are all your cabinet doors shut, shower door locked, nothing left on the counter tops, frig good and closed. Nothing like a cabinet coming open going down the road. Don't forget to turn off your water heater before you head home. And please double check that you have lowered your TV antenna. That is just a few on her list. But by all means just enjoy it. Thanks to the USAF we have seen a lot of places. We were stationed in Germany and traveled all around Europe. We have cruised the Caribbean from end to end. But seeing this great country thru the windshield of our coach has been priceless! And finally, keep a journal of all your travels.

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #26

I just received an initial evaluation of the possible/probable repairs and/or replacements, that will be needed to bring our '95 Rockwood Regent "up to snuff".

The evaluation REALLY sucks. Just a smattering of things like tire replacements, rusty brakes possibly affecting rotors and calipers, possible large generator problems, air shocks are gone, front leveler jacks need replacing, incorrectly wired starter leading to burned wiring, large turbo charger leak and probably a whole lot more that has yet to be discovered. They discovered all of the above, by just climbing under the coach. They haven't even begun a thorough evaluation yet. The shop foreman has led me to believe that I will invest +/-$8000 for needed repairs. Do we junk/sell this RV or fix it and begin happier times of RVing. Trading it in, for an upgrade is not possible, at this time.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #27

Eddiie: you have had a ton laid upon you all at once by one place. I think that you take your first trip....and look at the RV as a toy that you decide to like or leave....then you grab the laptop and price out a similar model with similar features. If you can see yourself adding +$8K...then divide that over several seasons.....do only the items you need now....
I refurb'd my own brakes.....took me 4 days....I ordered the parts online....installed them and finished up by learning how easy it is to do that myself. I do not count the savings...but I now own all the proper tools: compressor, hydraulic 25T air jack, air impact, and much more for the cost of the brake job from a professional.
I would tackle any task that I could on my own RV and buy help only if I could not proceed. When done... I would know more about my rig than many know about there RV.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Just tell someone at check in that it's your first trip. They will help you out.

Take a pad and a pencil and write down everything you thought of doing on the trip but didnt have the stuff with you to do it.

Tags
voyage