Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #29
Originally Posted by RndmTraveler View Post
This experience added some new requirements and questions for the next coach, like the location of the door, multiple fire extinguishers at different locations, annual wire harness/electrical system, check-up (there was a NHTSA wire harness recall, which stated that it could touch a heat shield under the MH). I think a more accurate heat sensor system for the engine and transmission might also be a good thing…
in 8/2014, i asked about a monitoring system for engine bay while driving in fear of fire What are the weakest spots catching fire on class A?. since then i installed one. here is the actual display on dash showing the engine bay:

(totally 4 lenses. engine bay is one, other 3: 1) back of fridge; 2) bottom at front pointing to rear - monitoring tires and fluid leaking; 3) front pointing as dash recorder).

i carry a buckeye 5lb halotron fire extinguisher, supposedly it kills fire instantly.

for your future consideration.

2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40'
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #30
Monaco Owners Club
Great that all are well and not hurt. I see in the picture you looked either ready to go or returning. Curious as to how long after engine shut down the fire occurred? Sorry, I just read the original post, question was answered.

King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #31
Motorhomes are tinder boxes.
I would suggest an AFFF fire suppression system over the engine and generator as well as an all electric coach. Gives us some peace of mind.
So glad everyone is OK.
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH
Full timers
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #32
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by EMDF9A View Post
Motor homes, trees and driveways can be fixed and replaced, people cant. I'm glad you all bade it out safe. Let us know if the actual cause is ever determined.
I will second that. Glad you are all OK

I carry a 2nd (3rd 4th) fire extinguisher in this RV

One little toy bottle supplied by Damon (It's a Damon MH).
2: 25 pound Dry Chemical behind driver's seat
3: About a pint of wet chemical I got from Mac the Fire Guy that is roughly as effective as that 25 pounder.. It is just inside the door at the 3 feet past the end of the kitchen counter above the toy.
4: Same as 3 next to the bed

I need two more of those.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #33
Wow, that is scary. Glad you all got out safe, but thanks for posting about this and the need for extra/additional fire extinguishers in the MH. I'll be getting some for sure.

Posting about your misfortune can have the benefit of saving future lives.
1998 Winnebago Chieftain WKL36L Diesel Pusher.
5.9 24V Cummins, 6 Speed Allison
Toad: 2014 Grand Cherokee, Limited, diesel
briankstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #34
So sorry to see this happen to you, but glad you all got out. Just get ahold of terry73501, he is finishing up the rehab of another fire-damaged coach. I'm sure he is looking for a new challenge of his mad skills!
Jeff, Catherine and Turner|2008 Damon Outlaw 3611|W24 w/ 8.1L Chevy hauling in the garage 3 quads,2 dirtbikes,1 Rzr900xp & 1 sewing machine based in central AZ
JeffAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:30 PM   #35
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad you are ok and I can't help but notice the pretty blue VW Bug toad escaped the flames too.
Ole and Anne Anderson, Highland, Michigan
'02 Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, ours since 4/08,Goodyears, Konis, SeeLevel, CHF
'84 CJ-7 , 5.3 Chevy, 3" lift, 33's, Detroit Locker, Fiberglas tub, winch, hi-lift
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #36
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
He said it started in the engine compartment, not the fridge.
Tongue was firmly planted in cheek when i made the comment.
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #37
All in the RV community are glad that you are safe and sound. Share with the IRV2 community the cause when determined and how you fare with insurance adjusters which we can all learn from
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #38
A guy I know and some other members may know lost his MH to an engine fire many years ago, He traveled around lecturing about MH safety and fires....he always said the best insurance is a JUMP BAG, forget the fire Extiguishers, MH burn, and they burn quick and hot, the focus should be on getting out safely #1. And second having a bag always ready to go with all your important document, passports , licenses, credit cards, etc....this is especially true for full timers, glad your OK....
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #39
Winnebago Owners Club
OMG, thank God all are safe. It is just a "thing", after all.

Thank God no one was asleep inside at the time of the fire.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #40
Anything purchased with money can be replaced with money. Your lives cannot be replaced, glad you both are well.

Originally Posted by GENECOP View Post
A guy I know and some other members may know lost his MH to an engine fire many years ago, He traveled around lecturing about MH safety and fires....he always said the best insurance is a JUMP BAG, forget the fire Extiguishers, MH burn, and they burn quick and hot, the focus should be on getting out safely #1. And second having a bag always ready to go with all your important document, passports , licenses, credit cards, etc....this is especially true for full timers, glad your OK....
You got it, a hand fire extinguishers main purpose is not to put out the fire, it's main purpose is to allow you to get away quickly and safely.
The majority of RV fires occur in MH's, the majority of those originate in the engine compartment.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #41
Well, I've always wanted to see how the chassis and the MH was designed and ect. But this wasn't how I wanted to see it. Sorry for the loss. That looks completely awful. Good thing everyone is OK.
MarkusW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:10 AM   #42
FWIW, I had a MH fire in 1978. It turned out that it was an electrical fire, the origin was a battery cable that had been routed through a jagged hole cut through the frame with a torch and had electric cables run through it. Yes, I know..... That IS hard to believe. Here's what I learned from that fire:

1. Electrical fires as the result of a dead short burn toward the energy source, in this case the automotive battery in the engine compartment.

2. Two small hand held fire extinguishers didn't put it out.

3. Water on my electrical fire wasn't effective.

4. Fire department arrived, assessed the situation, and took a bolt cutter to the battery cables which terminated the energy source. After cutting the cables, applied chemical extinguisher to the burning wires in the compartment. End of fire.

After that incident, I carry a bolt cutter on board the MH and on my boat. While I haven't needed them for my vehicles, a decade later I helped a fellow boater in the middle of the lake who was experiencing an electrical fire in his battery compartment and had exhausted his resources and was about to abandon ship. We got his cables cut and with my 2 extinguishers we managed to put out the fire.

So there it is. My experience with electrical fires. Take it for what it's worth. I, like you, was very fortunate in escaping unharmed. I had just returned from a 5,000 mile trip with the wife and our 4 young children. My fire occurred within 5 miles of the house the very next time I drove the coach. How lucky I was.

2004 Dutch Star 3809
Spartan Chassis
370 Cummins 6c8.3
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote