RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #1

Out with FR3 in with Palazzo 33.3? Help

GM, Been struggling over trading in my 16 FR3 gas for a Thor Palazzo 33.3. My kids are getting bigger and we can use the bunks. I know there is a big difference between both units but still torn. Also, concerned about buying out of state and the current deal Iím offered as Iím not on top of the pricing.

We currently have 6,000 miles on our 16 FR3 with zero issues. Not up to date about the pricing of the 2019 33.3ís. The dealer was selling for $179,000 in August 2018. Price now $169,000 and with my trade I will be paying $106,000 out the door with prep and freight. I realize that you get killed by trading but i would probably waste half the season selling and the palazzo would be gone.

There are a lot of questions about the purchase especially about the reliability of the palazzo and the cost of service.

I would deeply appreciate any help that you folks can provide as you have probably been there before. Thank you,Ed

edmo119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I've never owned a Thor product but I see a lot of negative comments on them! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #3

Traded in our 2015 Thor ACE 29.2 (~6k miles, 400w solar, whole house inverter, theater seating, etc.mods) in on 2018 Thor Palazzo 33.2 last July and are thrilled with the new DP compared.to the "old" one!
Be prepared to lose you butt on the trade in, but shop around and you should be able to find new for under $160k (before trade in)
HaRVey 74.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #4

You can find all the good and bad about Palazzo's from actual owners here-

Palazzo Motorhomes - iRV2 Forums

Better info than from people who have never owned one and just want to knock other products.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #5

By the way, try and get the factory Magnum Energy modified sign wave inverter (ME2012, black case) it may come with, exchanged for a pure sign wave model (MS2012, white case) because your fridge and microwave will run more efficiently and last longer and you won't burn up personal heating pads (or your wife and RV) if you use stuff off shore power or generator. (Personal experience and per inverter manufacturer Magnum''s warning/guidance/recommendation).
Check for broken frame, which holds up the rear of the kitchen cabinets due to interference with plumbing and wiring (many have this issue as did we).
There is a water valve in the bag under the bottom kitchen drawer for the ice maker.
Turn off the fridge when driving to protect/preserve the compressor etc. (also minimizes time on mod sign inverter if present).
90 psi front tires, 95 rear seams to be the recommended avg. for handling/ride.
Manually select the best gear to keep rpms ~2000, or not less than 1700 when pulling grades/hills because stock transmission programming tries to find the highest gear for "efficiency" but may leave you bogging up hills needlessly and frustrated!
Just some of the things that detracted from the otherwise wonderful experience of owning our first DP.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #6

FR3 for Palazzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey 74.5 View Post
Traded in our 2015 Thor ACE 29.2 (~6k miles, 400w solar, whole house inverter, theater seating, etc.mods) in on 2018 Thor Palazzo 33.2 last July and are thrilled with the new DP compared.to the "old" one!
Be prepared to lose you butt on the trade in, but shop around and you should be able to find new for under $160k (before trade in)
Thanks for the reply, I have been looking for palazzoís and they are hard to find near NJ. I really donít know how far down a dealer can come down on the price of a rig. Hopefully 169,000 is the right price range that Iím paying. Just hoping itís a good switch.

Did you get killed on your trade?
edmo119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #7

Yes, got killed on trade but if you have a deal (in writing) for a 33.3 out the door for $106k after your trade, it sounds great!
And yes, we love our Palazzo, it's the first RV that checks all of the boxes, is a joy to drive compared to the noisy, rough gas class A that beat us to death on long trips on I-5 in CA and we never want to come home, because we're so comfortable!
Old 02-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #8

We have a 2017 33.3, and so far have really enjoyed it. We have added in motion satellite, external antennas for wifi and cell signal, reverse osmosis water system, steering stabilizer, and upgraded the electrical system. There have been small issues along the way, but nothing horrible. Overall I have enjoyed the unit. Take it out about 6 times throughout the year.

Any questions in particular you have just let me know.
drivintin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #9

Hard to compare without more info, but I traded a one year old class A for another new class A and seemed to get a much better trade value (plus new cost) than you are getting. I suspect you could do better by shopping around.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #10

Check out Total Value Rv in Elkhart, Indiana. We purchased a 2015 FR3 32.5 new and on our way to Maine stopped by Total Value Rv and was quoted exactly what we paid for the FR3 with18k miles on it. Fast forward 3 months later our Pallazzo was ready off the assembly line, we drove back, spent 1.5 weeks in their parking area and every morning we would walk into the service a tell them what little things that needed corrected.We had a good experience and still enjoy the coach today after many upgrades found on this website.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmo119 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I have been looking for palazzoís and they are hard to find near NJ. I really donít know how far down a dealer can come down on the price of a rig. Hopefully 169,000 is the right price range that Iím paying. Just hoping itís a good switch.

Did you get killed on your trade?
you should get a minimum 25% off of MSRP for a Palazzo. Under the right circumstances more can be had
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmo119 View Post
GM, Been struggling over trading in my 16 FR3 gas for a Thor Palazzo 33.3. My kids are getting bigger and we can use the bunks....
Ed:

If you're looking at a new Palazzo 33.3 - check out the 33.5 which replaces it. They've modified the floor plan a bit and added a stacked washer and dryer, replaced the bifold doors in front of the bunks with sliding doors, and made it one of the nicest small bunkhouses out there. Pricing shouldn't be different from the 33.3 you're looking at. Since you'll have it a while, the W/D with the kids will be a great addition.

You're trading entry level gas to an entry level diesel - but it's really a nice step-up. Good luck. We traded a '15 ACE 33.2 in 2016 and got about 54K for it. The market has heated up a bit since then, good luck.

best,

Dave
Old 02-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #13

Welcome to the forum!!

I actually own a Thor Quantum and have seen many, many negative comments from non Thor owners, and our experience is the exact opposite.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #14

We bought our Palazzo 33.3 New almost 3 years ago !! 28000 miles !!! Love it!!! We do long trips and really donít miss a washer and dryer... I would rather have the extra space !!!

Robf is offline   Reply With Quote