Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #43

I removed my CRT set yesterday and discovered the metal support is part of the front cap assembly. I will be able to remove part of the framing (which constitutes the headbanger portion of the TV enclosure), but only by cutting some steel and/or breaking some welds. I can do this without destroying the integrity of the rest of the front cap area. It will just take some time and effort.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post
I removed my CRT set yesterday and discovered the metal support is part of the front cap assembly. I will be able to remove part of the framing (which constitutes the headbanger portion of the TV enclosure), but only by cutting some steel and/or breaking some welds. I can do this without destroying the integrity of the rest of the front cap area. It will just take some time and effort.
Yes we cut off 3 inches of the metal sides and 5 inches from the bottom, then reattached the plywood bottom and it worked well. Then we rewrapped the vinyl over the whole thing and we could still use the same screw holes in the ceiling. Only issue was that the drivers side upper cabinet is deeper than the one on the passenger side so we had to fashion a wooden piece to cover the gap. The super strong metal housing doesn't need to be able to carry that 50 pounds anymore only the lightweight flatscreen. I think it turned out great.
KRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
Finally got the MH home and finished up my trim around the TV. Got it up and working but need to study manual a little better to get the TV to work the way I want it to, if possible. Going to try to post a few PIC's. Jim
Impressed!! Great job!!!!!!!!!
Lloydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #46

rvgil31

Quote:
Kate and I finally got up enough nerve to take out the front TV. We now have a big empty hole as we also took out some of the old frame work. We took some measurements and now will look for a flat screen to fit. I'm not much of a carpenter but we will give it a shot, wish us luck. We do work together but I hope we can stay married by the time we get done. Jim
I just left the old tv alone and use it as a table to put my receiver and dvd player on top of it. Is an old tv but works fine. I bought a 32 inch LED TV and bought a mounting frame at Wall Mart to hold up the tv and made my own wood braket to support the tv with frame. This was difficult to make do to the restricted space. Now that my proyect worked fine, I have to take appart the wood braket and make another the same way but using metal. The material to make the braket can be found at Home Depot. If you want to do this you need a helper, because those tvs are heavy and also you do not want to drop it. Good luck the proyect took me one day to do.
rvgil31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post
Just returned from a Spring Break trip to Disney. Only went into the parks a few times so there was a lot of time around the Fort. I had replaced a rear TV with a flat screen last year, but have stayed with the front CRT because it still works ok. I have an A/B switch to allow cable or satellite dish to be connected. I have a 3-port Wingard switch to select sources for front and rear TV's, and I have a couple of T's to allow direct input for the rear TV and the old converter for the front. Oh and a separate DVD player. In short, I have a mess of wires in a small compartment, most of which are not labeled. After trying a number of combinations, I could not get the new Disney cable into the front TV. That TV has got to go!!! I have a July trip planned and will not travel with the old CRT again!! I think this week is a good time to remove the old and see how much headbanger cabinet I can get rid of. I can fit the Vizio 29" set in there, but I have to relocate a small overhead light and my rear camera monitor. With minimal carpentry skills and little patience, this will be a challenge. Stay with me....
I'm a more than a little challenged when it comes to being a carpenter but with the help of a little advice from DW I got it done. That's not to say that a few discussions didn't take place if you know what I mean. Still married and all is well. Jim
Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #48

Jimmy I have a 2001 dutchstar Thinking of replacing the front tv like u did. What mount did you use and what tv did you use. If you have any addition info to share please email me @ john072842@aol.com. Thanks. John
1dutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #49

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRose View Post
Yes we cut off 3 inches of the metal sides and 5 inches from the bottom, then reattached the plywood bottom and it worked well. Then we rewrapped the vinyl over the whole thing and we could still use the same screw holes in the ceiling. Only issue was that the drivers side upper cabinet is deeper than the one on the passenger side so we had to fashion a wooden piece to cover the gap. The super strong metal housing doesn't need to be able to carry that 50 pounds anymore only the lightweight flatscreen. I think it turned out great.
On our 2002 DSDP I removed the metal box and replaced it with a plywood one that fit the aspect ratio of the new TV. The TV just barely clears both upper doors due to it's size. I used foam over the new box and covered it with a contrasting vinyl as I couldn't match the old. Still need to clean up the inside, paint the plywood bracket and cover the inside. I hinged the TV bracket from the ceiling so the cabinet can be used for more storage.
By allowing the TV to overlap the existing cabinets I could use a much larger screen.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
1dutchstar the mounting frame I used was a piece of 1/2 inch plywood and made a backing plate out of it , We made a template off the back mounting holes on the TV,reached in from the back and tightened the screws. Had to mount it to the side frame but wasn't to hard. I used a VIZIO TV I think I might still have the box to get the model #, was not to much but went with one that fit the hole. Hope this helps will see if I can find model #, Will be at site where MH is this weekend to access manual. Jim
Old 05-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
1dutchstar the mounting frame I used was a piece of 1/2 inch plywood and made a backing plate out of it , We made a template off the back mounting holes on the TV,reached in from the back and tightened the screws. Had to mount it to the side frame but wasn't to hard. I used a VIZIO TV I think I might still have the box to get the model #, was not to much but went with one that fit the hole. Hope this helps will see if I can find model #, Will be at site where MH is this weekend to access manual. Jim
I did same in 95 Winnebago also a vizio. I'm going to get longer bolts and spacers to angle top of tv down for better picture viewing. Current angle provides best viewing while standing. :'(
Old 05-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #52

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
We installed a Samsung 26" flat screen up front. Mounted the TV to a piece plywood on sliders so that we can lower the tv to watch and raise to travel. The DVD and sound system sit in the area left vacant by the origonal tv right behind the flat screen tv.

Martin
Hi Martin,

Could you tell me or better still show me a pic of the sliders you used to raise and lower your tv, at present we use an lcd tv sitting on the dash but want to get rid of the tv mounted at roof level and then lower the lcd tv from the roof to a more comfortable viewing position.

John D
John Downes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
1dutchstar I used a 29 inch Vizio E Series LED TV as it fit perfect into the opening. I used a LED instead of a LCD as I store in cold weather in the winter and heard that you should pull out the LCD in cold weather. The TV was cheap to buy and works good enough for me, could of paid more for a better one but don't watch to much while camping. If you look at the PIC's I posted you can see how nice it fit after the alterations. Jim