Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
Outdoor grill

Has anyone installed a custom grill in a outside compartment that just slides out? Or what is everyone doing for grill storage and use?

vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
not sure what your requirements are for a grill,but for us,this works very well,it folds up and fits very well into a compartment.>Coleman - Coleman - coleman road trip grill - portable propane grill - RoadTrip® Grill LXE

Good Sam Life Members
Served in U.S.A.F.
macantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Broil King® - Porta-Chef™ Series
HR Endeavor DST Bath and 1/2
330 HP Allison 6-Speed - 7.5 mpg US
Me and the DW
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a outdoor kitchen that slides out. Threw away thie grill that came with coach and got a q2000 weber. Cast alum and hols heat well. Plugs in and runs off coach propane. Very easy to keep clean. Use the kitchen for sink and fridge mostly. If you are really into grilling spend the doe on the weber. Have spent stupid money on built in grills at homes that look great but don't cook we'll. weber genisis at home and on the dock. I also got the folding cart that it plugs into. They last forever----- almost. Good luck! JD
Jeff & Steph
2010 Discovery 40x Spartan Cummins ISB
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
x2 on the Weber! Love ours and it fits in my fairly small bay openings.
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
We also use the small portable Weber grill and love it. Have a larger one at stick and brick home. Never had a built in grill but wonder about ease of cleaning and the grease build up from the smoke.
Flying Cloud 25 ft- rear twin beds. New Bloomfield, MO/ Ruskin, FL. downsized
motraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:36 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bought the Colemen and hated it. Worst grill we ever owned. It is more of a 2 burner stove than a grill. Pain to clean and heavy to handle
2011 Serrano 31X, 2006 CR-V
Denniscw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use the table top one they sell at Costco. Had it for 3yrs, works just fine. The price is around $100.00. Plumbed into the RV LP tank. Not to heavy to move around stores nicely in one of my smaller outside bays.
Stewart & Kim. 2011 Serrano 31V, MaxForce 7 w/ Allison 6 Sp. Fiat 500 Sport Diesel Pusher.
Surge Guard 3450, TST 510, Sliverleaf VMSpc, RVND 7710. Blue Ox Tow. 2010 Arctic Cat 700 TRV.
Someday your life may flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
Road Trip Grille

I also have a love hate relationship with my Road Trip Grille. Love the way it cooks for the most part (have grill, flat top and range adapters) Don't like the way it burns anything sticking over the edge of the grill and hate the clean up.

Thanks Nuts
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38D
1962 BelAir 409/409
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoor grill

Originally Posted by NorthernDriv View Post

We have the Broil King Porta-Chef Pro which has served us well for the past 5 seasons. It is stored along with accessories in a sturdy perfectly-sized actual "hockey equipment bag" with rear wheels in a convenient basement compartment in our MH. Easy to set up, take down and pack, although would not be considered light in weight by many. Greater lid height and usable cooking surface than most portable grills in our experience.
We installed a kit with proper fittings and 12' hose to connect the grill to the coach ASME propane tank rather than carrying a separate LPG cylinder.
Works for us!
Hugh & Judy with Golden Retrievers Lars, Kenzie & Arvy in 2009 Triple E Invitation 40' QSDP, FL-XCR, Cummins 8.9L ISL 400HP, Allison 3000MH towing 2009 Jeep Liberty
Doc Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Another Weber vote.
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #12

No matter what you chose , remember BTUs , 18>20,000. BTUs or you won't be able to cook a thing, you'll just be warming it slightly.

In 20 years ; 5 RV's ; 3 Broil King port-a-chefs , I have been able to cook steaks in a snow storm; still fight with the DW about, having to do that; remember size ( BTUs ) does matter.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #13
I use the Weber Q1000. The smaller version of the Q2000 mentioned above. I have a small family, so the space savings is a value for me. I originally bought one of those typical table top grills at sears, and it lasted for about 6 months before it started to give me issues. Uneven cooking, etc. So I use a Weber at home (Genesis 320), therefore I bought a Weber for the trailer.

On a side note, they have a rolling cart available for the q series. Its around $69. But I think it takes up too much space in the RV storage. I found a package deal at WalMart for the Q1000 and a folding stand where the legs snap in. It takes up maybe one quarter the space, and does the same job. It takes less than 5 minutes to assemble when I get to the campsite. It is worthwhile for me to keep the table space free.

Also as far as fuel, I dont have an outdoor kitchen in my TT, so I use a 20Lb propane tank like you use in your home BBQ. I have a propane tree. I top that with a lantern. And use the two middle connectors for the Weber, and the other one if I break out my coleman camp stove. But the tree provides the conversion from the 20LB tank to the small fittings on the stove and BBQ. The lantern screws right into the top of the tree, which handy. It lights up my whole campsite if i turn it up, and provides a nice low glow when I turn it down. Its something I used all the time as a tent camper, so when I got into the RV thing, I added it to my setup right away. I dont see anyone else using them at the campsites.

I've been really happy with my outdoor cooking setup.
BradWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #14

Broil King was good, Weber Q220 is the best grill I have owned including my $2000 built in home grill,

2013 Tiffin Allegro 36LA OPEN ROAD
2012 Honda CRV AWD toad
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote