Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoor mats

Newbie here looking to start outfitting a Bounder 33C. Any suggestions on the best type of outdoor mat, stair rugs, etc. Our awning width is 17 ft. I see a lot of 20 ft mats and very few 15 ft. Am I better off going to HD and cutting and laying the green indoor/outdoor carpet? Concerned about weight of mat as well in the basement.

Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #2

We use a straw type mat. I think 9x12. Got it at wally world. rain goes thru it and is durable. Maybe HD or Lowes. Lightweight also. Had ours 3 yrs and still holding up. CW carries also

Old 11-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have similar type mat as Fletch460
Available in lots of spots - including ebay and amazon.
Just want to mention that the green outdoor carpet is often banned at campgrounds as it kills the grass trying to grow underneath. No air flow. Kind of why the straw mats are popular.

Good luck and have fun in your Bounder!
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #4

I've had my Rv mat 7 years with no tears, water and sand goes thru. Grass carpet will hold sand,dirt,water and the edges will come apart.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I have a mat that I only unroll when staying for an extended period somewhere. It is a pain to store and nail down so no one trips at the edge. It is a poly mat and it takes awhile to lay flat after unrolling. If I could always find a spot with a nice concrete pad for the patio area, I would get rid of it. Which is to say, I'm not sure it is worth carrying around all the time considering the space it takes up. Just a thought...
Old 11-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a poly mat also, got it at a good price from Wally World. We like the mat a lot and use it a lot. We feel it prevents a lot of dirt from getting tracked inside our mh. Ours is about a 9'x12' mat that's big enough for 4 chairs easily and 6 in a pinch.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #7

Agree wholeheartedly with those advocating the poly mats. We bought 2 from WM and will put out one or both depending upon where we have landed. Light weight and both will store in a single large black trash bag which keeps things a bit cleaner.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
We have a poly mat also, got it at a good price from Wally World. We like the mat a lot and use it a lot. We feel it prevents a lot of dirt from getting tracked inside our mh. Ours is about a 9'x12' mat that's big enough for 4 chairs easily and 6 in a pinch.
Us too---- we had a Home Depot green indoor/outdoor carpet--- man was that heavy and bulky , especially when wet.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:22 AM   #9

Just purchased a new poly mat yesterday at CW, on sale for $49.99. Same price as Wal Mart. 9' x 12' in size. I would like to find some sort of storage bag I could keep it in. Any suggestion?
Old 11-10-2015, 07:34 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't waste your money on the green indoor/outdoor carpet. It will not last over a year at the most. Get the poly mats as mentioned above.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:45 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
If your entry is in front of passanger seat the extra length may be good. Wally world (Walmart) has a good inexpensive and light weight rug and step covers worth looking at.
Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:45 AM   #12
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Check out J & J Sunshades Lake Whales Fl, I have 4 mats and a sun shade from them. I usually put down at least 2 of them 9 x20 whenever I stay for more than a few days. I stay in Fl Dec - April mine are 10 years old and still look new. I tried the plastic poly mats but they come apart in the sun in a year or two.
Also check out Beasly Manufacturing, Center Hill Fl you can buy the sunscreen material off rolls by the yard they have hundreds of patterns.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #13

We have an A&E Patty-O-Mat for our coach. It is about 15 years old and is still like new. They cost a little more, but are well worth the cost.
Our is used about three months a year or more.
When we are moving, and the mat is wet, we fold it and lay it on the picnic bench for a few minutes, while we get everything else ready to go. By that time it is usually dry enough to put it in the storage area. If not, it goes in a plastic bag untill it can be dried.
We bought a small woven mat for the area around the steps. It was placed in the trash after it started coming apart.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
Old 11-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
Just purchased a new poly mat yesterday at CW, on sale for $49.99. Same price as Wal Mart. 9' x 12' in size. I would like to find some sort of storage bag I could keep it in. Any suggestion?
We bought one at Walmart, about that size. Once folded back like it was when purchased it slips nicely into a black trash bag.

Nice thing about poly mats is they are lightweight, can be rinsed off with a hose and dry quickly. Green outdoor carpet, heavy, hold sand and dirt that you can never get out. If they get wet they're twice as heavy and take a long time to dry.

Tags
door