Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-01-2016, 03:00 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Outfitting a Class A - Essential Accessories

Hello All,

We're in the process of purchasing our 1st Class A DP and want to ensure we're set up with the right stuff that will help us avoid (or address) problems we may or could encounter. We could use your HELP.

The information We're seeking is in the form of recommendations and guidance from exisiting or otherwise experienced Class A DP owners on what are the "essential must haves" accessories needed to properly outfit and protect a motor coach as well as to ease the burden of use.

Examples may include items such as surge protectors, dump hoses & aux. valves, water hoses, jack pads, general maintenance & upkeep equipment as wells as supplies, emergency kits of various types, and the basic hand tools, testers, etc. that should be carried at all times.

We know there are some great folks here at IRV2 with vast experience to share. Any advice, recommendations or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

Please note, if recommending a particular item don't hesitate to give us the details (model no) and suggestions on where we can find such item.

You can send us private messages here at IRV2 with your recommendations in lieu of posting to this thread.

Thank you all in advance.

rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 03:20 AM   #2
I would start at the beginning. Build a home for it. Keep it out of inclement weather when not in use. A place where you can admire it and do what work you yourself can possibly do if needed. And stay with this forum, for alot of smart advice. Good Luck and welcome to the RV life.

spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:27 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
If you have never owned a motorhome before I would suggest to be conservative when you outfit it. Put only the bare essentials in it to start and then add as you gain experience and have time to determine what you need. My wife has a tendency to over pack on everything so I have to "express" my opinion to reduce the overall stuff we take.

One thing I would recommend is creating a complete library of information regarding you coach. If you are lucky the manufacturer owners manual will be complete but there is still a lot of info that would help you in the long run. Although the owners manual will have the basics there is still lots of info available. Over the years that I've own our coach I have created a database on almost every component that is used on the coach. I have parts break down, repair manuals, troubleshooting guides etc.

I spend a lot of time reviewing posts on several RV websites. If I see a problem that could happen on my coach I go to the extent of finding a source for that specific component, printing it in PDF format, and saving it to a folder specific to that component i.e. Engine/Transmission.

In the event of a problem there is a good chance I already have the required information to be able to fix and/or order parts.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:37 AM   #4
Whoops, when it comes to working on it, I forgot to mention my SO point of view. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Ya, she has a point.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:39 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
there are many things to consider with your request...........first question, are you going to do all the repair work on your coach, if not, basic tools are all you need to carry (tool wise)........personally I don't carry spare parts, but I do not work on my bus.....you will need sewer connections/hoses, fresh water hose, good surge protector......I also travel with a standard garden hose and ladder............I have triple A rv coverage, good sam roadside assistance, and my rv insurance will also cover towing...........I cannot stress, a good mechanic is a must (in my case), they can help guide you thru what needs repaired, when to do maintenance, general questions, etc............if they are not willing to help you, find another one...............you will get the hang of things after a couple of trips...........and I agree, try the coach out in the driveway first..............
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:09 AM   #6

You should check out this thread. MANY items on this list already!

Top 10 items you should carry in a new RV

Top 10 items you should carry in a new RV.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
Power protection. I have an external one. Not just a surge protector.
TPMS for the coach and the toad.
Tire covers
Water filters
Battery filling system
Water pressure regulator

Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote

class a