Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2016, 11:42 PM   #1

Outlaw 37MD length question

I'm sure this has been asked before and your probably tired of answering it, but I can't find the exact answer so I'm gonna ask it anyway. The 37MD is 38' 7" long, has anyone with this length RV had problems with being excluded from campgrounds on the basis of length? if so does it happen frequently or just every now and then, and how about national parks do they have length limits and are they all the same or do they differ from park to park? Thanks for taking time to answer. Phil

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 01:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
outlaw 37MD length question

ZMan...... In four years we have never had a problem with this in our 40 ft DS. A couple of times while still selecting a place to stop for the night we found a directory entry that specified a length limit, but in those few cases we just looked and found a place elsewhere. So we never really knew if the limit was strictly enforced or not.

My gut sense is that you're most likely to encounter this in facilities that are many years old, that were designed when RVs were a great deal smaller on average; and that this is an issue that is talked about and worried about far, far more often than it actually occurs.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
ZMan...... In four years we have never had a problem with this in our 40 ft DS. A couple of times while still selecting a place to stop for the night we found a directory entry that specified a length limit, but in those few cases we just looked and found a place elsewhere. So we never really knew if the limit was strictly enforced or not.

My gut sense is that you're most likely to encounter this in facilities that are many years old, that were designed when RVs were a great deal smaller on average; and that this is an issue that is talked about and worried about far, far more often than it actually occurs.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
Thanks JFXG, I was hoping it was something like that.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:14 AM   #4

I have yet to have our coach length measured by anyone.

Though we are actually 38+' We generally make our searches/reservations using 35' (that's max length for many state parks). We're pretty experienced getting in an out of tight places, and use our toad to "pre" visit our site or go shopping for a site when in a strange park - especially an older one.

Taken into account on that "pre" visit will be tight corners and other potential clearance issues (like overhead tree branches) - as well as sites that are observed to be too far off level to use. Another concern, might be a soft campsite, possibly due to recent rain or spring ground thaw.

I do accept responsibility for safe passage within a park. To my way of thinking, safe passage anywhere is my responsibility.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have never had an issue with our 38' Challenger. We always inform while making a reservation that we have a 40' with TOAD, hoping that the owners will take the size into consideration when assigning a site. We have had some pretty tight sites over the years, but nothing that we couldn't live with.

Bronk
Old 08-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

There is no "national park length limit". A few campgrounds in national parks have length limits based on local roads or site size and they vary by location. Ditto for Forest Service, Corp of Engineers, State Parks, etc.

There are places you can't go with a 38 footer. And places you can't go with even a 30 footer. Use a campground guide, paper or online, to figure what applies to the places you want to visit.

We drive a 40 footer.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:24 AM   #7

Thanks for the info fellow campers, you've confirmed what I was hoping was going to be the case, now if I could get the same answers about my three huskies I would have it made (grin)

2014 Thor 37MD Husky Hauler
zman7458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:14 AM   #8

A lot of RV parks have an assortment of different sized spaces. We have a 40' DP and have always gotten in various parks. If it's an older park that may not have may large spaces, then we call ahead and make reservations. Don't show up late in the evening and expect to always find a large space available.

Even in State or National parks that may be on a first come first serve basis, we've always gotten in if it hasn't been a major holiday weekend. Finding a good level space is more of challenge - arrive shortly after check out time in the toad to scout the spaces, then go get the MH. Don't show up late in the evening and expect to always find a large space available.

Bill
Old 08-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #9

Thanx folx

I imagine my 3 huskies will keep me out of more parks than my RV lol.
Which is sad cuz they dont have a violent bone in their bodies.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:29 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We travel with 3 or more Saint Bernard dogs work with a 501.c3 rescue) in our 37' Outlaw.

We have never been turned away at any campground that had space for us...just be honest up front about the size spot you need and about the pups.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
We travel with 3 or more Saint Bernard dogs work with a 501.c3 rescue) in our 37' Outlaw.

We have never been turned away at any campground that had space for us...just be honest up front about the size spot you need and about the pups.

Best luck
Thanks Scarab0088, I have really been sweating being turned away because of my fur girls. My next large purchase for my RV will be an elite membership to Thousand Trails but when I went to one of their sites and wanted to get an idea of what a non member would pay, I filled out the form and submitted it and it got red flagged for having more than 2 dogs. Which was going to blow my plans out of the water if they were going to be hard nosed about my pups. I will definitely mention my dogs to my TT sales agent before I send her any money. Thanks for the input Scarab0088. Phil