Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #1

Outlets don't work

I have a 2011 Itasca Sunova and for some reason the electrical outlet that the sofa bed hooks up to and the outside outlets in the basement on that same side don't work. Checked for any ground faults tripped but none are. Also checked the breakers bit none are tripped. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It could be a bad connection or a bad GFI. Do you know what circuit the dead outlets are on? Most circuits are wired together in 'daisy chain' fashion. You'll need to check for power at each outlet and then unscrew the last working one and see if power is going past that point.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
According to the lower left corner of page 2 of the Body, 110 Volt Wiring Diagram for your coach the external outlet and the sofa outlet are controlled by the GFI outlet in the bath. You should double check that outlet to make sure that it has power and the GFI works. According to the above diagram and the 110 Volt Load Center/Auto Transfer Switch diagram the 110V circuit breaker for that circuit should be labelled RECPS 1. Turn the breaker off and then back on to make sure it is OK--a tripped breaker may look like it is still on when it's not.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #4

Thanks all. I'll check the bathroom outlet and #1 breaker and we'll see.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #5

GFI's can go bad and need to be replaced. It is most likely a bad GFI.

Good luck and safe travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
If you have an factory installed inverter, it may power that outlet. Check the GFI on the front of the inverter. My coach has 8 outlets on the inverter line. If the GFI trips, all 8 go off.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #7

2006 Itasca Sunova

I am currently a full-time Rv'er. Half of my outlets don't work. I can only see one GFI reset and I check my fuse box. I can not figure this out.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fitnfab View Post
I am currently a full-time Rv'er. Half of my outlets don't work. I can only see one GFI reset and I check my fuse box. I can not figure this out.
I'd be surprised if you only have one GFI. As I said in an earlier posting, the outlets are 'daisy-chained' from a GFI to others 'downstream' so they are GFI protected too. Check here for wiring diagrams: Manuals & Diagrams

You could map out your circuits with a multimeter or test light. Turn all CB off but one and test for which are live. Then turn on a second one, and so on.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Which outlets aren't working?

According to the Body, 110 Volt Wiring Diagram for your coach (I'm assuming you have the 30B) you have a GFI in one of the galley outlets that also controls a second galley outlet, the exterior outlet, the exterior entertainment center outlet, the bath outlet and the lefthand bedroom outlet.

According to the 110 Volt Load Center/Auto Transfer Switch diagram that circuit breaker for that circuit is labelled RECPS 1.

The other outlets in don't appear to be GFI protected and their circuit breaker is labelled RECPS 2.

Note that a tripped breaker may still appear to be on--if in doubt you should switch the circuit breaker off and then back on again.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Don't forget to check breakers on the inverter and to look for an outside (in the basement GFI)
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #11

I will try to determine what outlets are not working. I don't understand how to fix it.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I will try to determine what outlets are not working. I don't understand how to fix it.
To fix, be sure circuit is off at power panel or even unplug from shore pedestal. Wiring is not difficult, just be aware, color has meaning.
Black wires are 'hot' and get connected to brass colored screws.
White is 'neutral' and is connected to silver colored screws.
Green or bare wires are ground wires and get fastened to green ground screws.
Wrap wires around screws so as you tighten screw, it draws the wire tighter.
Check any wires bound in wire nuts in the outlet box are tight.

Further info can be found here: How to fix a dead electrical outlet. – electrician101

With power off and a multimeter set to 'Ohms' you can check for continuity, or that the wiring is connected. Put one lead on black wire at one outlet, touch other to black wire at the next outlet you think is in the same circuit. (Use a 'jumper wire' to extend reach) If the meter shows a reading of more than '0' you know they are connected and in the same circuit. Continue checking black and white wires until you find a break in the connection. Most probably at a bad GFI outlet or loose connection in the circuit. Good luck with it, it's a puzzle to be solved!

Bob & Donna
Old 01-09-2014, 04:23 AM   #13

As mentioned above...outlets are typically daisy-chained.
I have a GFI outlet in my 1/2 bath, meaning that's the outlet with the red and black buttons in the middle of the outlet to test and reset.
The wiring leaves that outlet and goes to an outlet beside the sink in the bedroom, then down to an outlet in my wet bay, then over to the passenger's side belly pan by the door, then up to an outlet under my kitchen drawers, and finally up to an outlet above the kitchen counter.
ALL of those outlets are "GFI Protected" by the one outlet/breaker in the bathroom. If that breaker trips, all of the outlets mentioned will be "dead", but all other a/c outlets work fine.

Jim
Old 01-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #14

You have no clue how much I appreciate your help! Only been doing this since November and I have encounter almost everything. I refuse to give up! Being single and divorced at 50 has a few disadvantages. So I do appreciate ya'all!