Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #15

Okay, I'll put the GFI back as a possibility. However, why would the outlets work with the generator on but not from shore power? I would think that if it was GFI then they would be not working either way.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Duncan, what type/year motorhome do you have? Perhaps that would help some of us figure out what could be wrong. I had a Fleetwood Discovery that had a remote breaker switch in one of the basement compartments.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #17

Well, since I started this thread in the wrong forum for my motorhome it probably won't help. I was hoping that it is probably the same for all of them. My motorhome is a 2006 Jayco Seneca 34SS. If you think it will make a difference I can re-post in the class C forum or even better in the general motorhome/problems forum. This was my first post on this board so it has taken me some time to get used to it. Hopefully my next question will go much smoother.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My inverter has a small round white "button" type breaker. It is on the side of the inverter and is about the size of a pencil.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you check the GFCI on the house?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnkin View Post
Okay, I'll put the GFI back as a possibility. However, why would the outlets work with the generator on but not from shore power? I would think that if it was GFI then they would be not working either way.
I dont think you stated this in your original post.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From the original post:

"However, I found that when I run the generator all the outlets work."

Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot
From the original post:

"However, I found that when I run the generator all the outlets work."
So are you agreeing that this would indicate that it's not that the GFI is tripped? My thought is that if it was GFI is tripped then they would not work with generator or shore power.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnkin
!After our first weeklong trip (and a great time too) and while plugged into the house, our outlets stopped working. All of them it seems except the one that the microwave is plugged into. I checked the fuse box and the GFI outlet but all seems good. I couldn't get the GFI outlet to pop, which made me think the outlet was bad. However, I found that when I run the generator all the outlets work.

Now I'm really confused. Is this a symptom of something special? Anyone know where I should look to solve this issue? I'm brand new to this RV stuff and we're about to go on another trip in a few days but I'd sure like having shore power able to work the outlets first.

Thanks for any help you can give.
For the heck of it I'd also check to make sure that you didn't trip a circuit from where you are getting your shore power.

If it's an isolated circuit on the building (you wrote you were plugged into a "house") you may not know it has tripped because nothing else turned off inside the building. You said outlets in RV work with gen power; the microwave might be connected to an inverter so it works w/out shore or gen power.

Anyway, I'd inspect the shore power cable, the plug adapter (if using one), and the building's breakers. Good luck. :-)
Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #24

Right now the Motorhome is at the shop or I'd have gone through it looking for an inverter and reset button. It is being inspected as it's not currently registered in this state but will be once I get the inspection completed.

Can someone tell me if every motorhome has an inverter and would I have a separate inverter for the generator and the shore power? If there is a tripped breaker for the inverter why would it not be affected when the generator is on?

I have to get an understanding of how all this stuff works.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnkin View Post
So are you agreeing that this would indicate that it's not that the GFI is tripped? My thought is that if it was GFI is tripped then they would not work with generator or shore power.
If everything works on the generator then it can't be a GFI in the RV.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #26

BichonLover,

I have checked the shore power breaker and it is just fine. Remember all the lights and other DC items work in the motorhome when I'm plugged into the house. The house connection is brand new and I had it put in just a couple weeks ago. Maybe that makes it suspect, I don't know, but it does power the DC side of the RV just fine. I have lights, furnace blower, water pump, etc. Just no 110 AC electrical outlets (except for the one that the microwave is plugged into.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #27

Okay, I just checked all the breakers in the house. The 50 A RV breaker is fine and all of the others are not tripped.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnkin
BichonLover,

I have checked the shore power breaker and it is just fine. Remember all the lights and other DC items work in the motorhome when I'm plugged into the house. The house connection is brand new and I had it put in just a couple weeks ago. Maybe that makes it suspect, I don't know, but it does power the DC side of the RV just fine. I have lights, furnace blower, water pump, etc. Just no 110 AC electrical outlets (except for the one that the microwave is plugged into.

The lights, water pump, slides, etc operate off the batteries. They'll work with or without shore or gen power.

The outlets are powered from shore or gen power only .... EXCEPT some outlets may also run off an inverter, if so equipped.