Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Loose Wires

I had the same thing happen on a previous RV. It turned out to be loose wires behind the breaker panel. I opened the panel, tightened every wire that was held by a screw or slug and never had a problem again.

I strongly suggest you unplug from shore power before you open the panel.

I've never owned an RV with only one GFCI plug. They've all had a minimum of two, one for each side of the rig.

Are you sure your 'new' house circuit is wired properly? A switched neutral & ground will do strange things to an RV.

A $2.00 plug tester will tell you if it's right.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #30

So I am starting to wonder if my shore power is wired correctly. I'm thinking back and I'm not sure that I ever checked the outlets before now when I was plugged in. So if it is switched neutral and ground, how would a plug tester detect that? Are you saying that there is power getting to the outlets and a plug tested would say that is what the problem is? I'll have to check into this...

Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Perhaps these will assist in see if the power is wired correct:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electrical - 50 Amp Service.pdf (45.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf Electrical - 30 Amp Service.pdf (64.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Special
Perhaps these will assist in see if the power is wired correct:
These? I'm assuming you are talking about a simple tester that you plug into the outlet and various lights light to say if it's correct or something is not right. I haven't found one of those that indicate if neutral and ground are switched, but I'd guess it would show one or the other are not properly connected.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like this:

Amazon.com: Gardner Bender GFI-3501 GFCI Outlet Tester: Home Improvement

Any good hardware store will have these.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #34

Yep, I've got one of those. Now I just need my motorhome back so I can use it and try all the other suggestions listed here. Turns out it is going to cost me to get it back :( I guess these thing just keep on costing don't they.

Really need it back tomorrow. Taking off on Saturday for 10 days.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #35

Well, I spoke to the RV dealer about this and it does appear that I don't have a correctly wired outlet for my RV. It's not a switched neutral/ground or whatever, it's that the electrician wired 50A 110V service where it should be 50A 220V service. The RV can take 110V service, but it will not be sufficient to power everything.

I am scheduling the electrician to come back and we'll see what happens.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Who found the problem with your new 50 amp outlet?

What tester did they use?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
Who wired, or re-wired it, wrong??
And
Why was it wired or re-wired... wrong????
Something sure not smellin' right here...
Who was this alleged "electrician", by what authority was the work done...
In your best interest, sounds like you need some competent folks to check things out...
hope it all works out, you don't need wrong wiring in an RV, dangerous is the least term that may be used..
let us know...
be careful...
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's good news.

Hope it's just a simple wiring mistake and not a situation where the electrician thought there was a diference between a RV 50A service and a home 50A service. If he laid in only 3 wires it could be a big job to repair.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
check all your GFI outlets is the green light on in the GFI`S in my coach had a similar problem and found it to be a breaker located in my 120Volt cabinet, hope this helps
Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnkin
Well, I spoke to the RV dealer about this and it does appear that I don't have a correctly wired outlet for my RV. It's not a switched neutral/ground or whatever, it's that the electrician wired 50A 110V service where it should be 50A 220V service. ....
Not to sound melodramatic here, but you truly dodged a big bullet. Incorrectly wired outlets can completely fry an RV; that's why I had suggested you look there based on your description of the problem.

When the outlet repair is finished DO NOT test it out by plugging in your rig. Have the electrician prove to you -- while you stand there -- that the outlet works properly this time. Are you calling back the same people? Get something in writing that clearly states how their work is guaranteed/warranteed, and if they'll replace your rig if it's damaged when connected to their handiwork. Might also want to have a 2nd electrician from another company double-check everything.

Put "surge protector," "multimeter," and "fire extinguisher for electrical fires" at the top of your shopping list. Don't want to scare you, but as you travel around you'll more than likely find other mis-wired outlets out there. Keep us updated on how things unfold with this. Your experience here is a good lesson for everyone. Good luck w/ things, and thanks for sharing. :-)

FYI: Page 96 in the August 2012 issue of "Motorhome" describes how to use a multimeter to check shore power outlets, 12 volt circuits in an RV, and battery charge levels.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #41

Well I agree completely. This is the same electrician and he was very worried about wiring it a different way knowing that it could damage the RV. So he went to a campsite and measured the output of the 50A outlets there and discussed it with the campsite maintenance guy. He also talked to the local Jayco service technician. He will be back tomorrow and my RV is here now too. I'm fairly certain that he is doing it now the way that I also found out it should be, but I'm not sure about phasing of the two 120V lines. The electrician indicated that he knows that they should be out of phase based on what he measured at the campsite.

Not sure if he'll give me a written guarantee. I'll let you know how it turns out. Sure hope it has a happy ending.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #42

Okay, final post in this thread...

The electrician came back and fixed me all up and everything is working perfectly now. Yay! He said it is a standard 220V 4 wire hookup. He was worried that it would need something different but the cable actually does all the work to make it work for the RV.

Anyway, I don't know about all that, but I think he was good. He did the research before he wired it a way that might have done harm if it wasn't supposed to be that way. I can't blame him. I highly doubt they teach RVs in electrician school. But anyway, all is well here now. I'm very glad that my motorhome wasn't at fault.

Thank you very much for all the suggestions and help! It's very much appreciated.