Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #1

Outlets suddenly went dead

!After our first weeklong trip (and a great time too) and while plugged into the house, our outlets stopped working. All of them it seems except the one that the microwave is plugged into. I checked the fuse box and the GFI outlet but all seems good. I couldn't get the GFI outlet to pop, which made me think the outlet was bad. However, I found that when I run the generator all the outlets work.

Now I'm really confused. Is this a symptom of something special? Anyone know where I should look to solve this issue? I'm brand new to this RV stuff and we're about to go on another trip in a few days but I'd sure like having shore power able to work the outlets first.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #2

I had this happen to me in my MH. I had the RV repair man come take a look, and it turns out that my inverter breaker was tripped. I hope that I said that right. I didnt really pay too much attention. My husband was the one talking with him. I just overheard what they where saying. Oh and the inverter breaker box i think was in the basement.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, inverter breaker ON THE INVERTER.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #4

But I don't have an inverter. Well, my inverter is in a box in a cabinet and not yet hooked up.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #5

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing. My inverter that is in a box is for powering an outlet from my batteries. Is there another inverter someplace? Hmmm... Maybe by the generator or somthing? I'll check that out, but I don't know what I'm looking for, ha! Should be fun.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #6

If you get power with genset running, perhaps it's a faulty transfer switch not fully engaging when connected to shore power (house outlet)---just a thought

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #7

look in your basement, maybe by the stairs for an inverter. there should be breaker switches on it.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
It could be the converter breaker and not the transfer switch as he stated the microwave works. Does the TV's work and the fridge on AC? Need a little more info.

One thing if the GFI doesn't pop then I suspect that it is bad and all the outlets are feed thru it.

If the tranfer switch were bad there would be no AC power in the RV on shore power.

Hope this helps!

Tom-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #9

So are these other breakers in usual places that you could give me a hint where to look? I've checked all the breakers on the breaker panel and not sure where to look for others.

The microwave works, not sure about the TV I'll have to check tomorrow. The blower on the furnace works. Lights all work, stairs work, water pump works, slides work.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #10

It really sounds like inverter breakers to me. your furnace, and stairs, water pump, ect run off of 12V, not AC power. my inverter is in my basement on the passenger side.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #11

Okay, so remember I'm new Basement means underneath in the storage compartments I suppose? I didn't get that before. I guess with me you have to spell this stuff out, ha-ha. Okay, so I'll look around underneath tomorrow. I know I have two compartments that are loaded with wires. One by my batteries and one by drivers side front. Is the breaker a switch like in the breaker box or does it look different? Do I have a different inverter than the one that is used for getting battery power to the outlets?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #12

Its ok Dunnkin ummm i have one inverter and it has to be connected to my batteries because i use it when i boondock. and yes the basement is under your MH. I will look at my inverter in the morning and tell you what the breakers look like. Or if its real emergency i will go outside in my bathrobe and slipper in the freezing dark cold and check now...LOL
Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
The micro is probably the only device that is NOT GFI protected. ILL bet you either have a GFI tripped or defective somewhere.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #14

While you are in the basement check for 110 outlets. There may be a GFCI there as well as in the coach. Our Beaver has one there and it is on the opposite side from the circuit that it controls.

jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote