Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #1

Outside blower will not start when 2nd unit starts

I have a 2000 Winnebago Journey with Coleman Basement A/C, I believe the model is 6636A. I have an extended warrenty and the motorhome is currently at PPL in Houston. The problem is similiar to one posted by the retired USAF gentleman. Number 1 compressor and outside fan run for about 30 seconds, then everything shuts down for 2 seconds then number 2 compressor comes on, but the outside bolwer does not. Also, the inside blower only has one speed even though it has a 'low' and 'high' setting on the thermostat. The 8 Amp fuse to the second unit blower was blown, so I replaced and watched the lights on the P/C board when I turned the unot on again. The green light on #1 compressor came on for 30 seconds along with the outside blower, then that light went out and the green light for #2 compressor came on. The high speed outside blower came on for about 1 minute and then shut down, with the #2 compressor still running. (8 amp fuse was blown)
I'm giving this detailed info, because the service guy called me yesterday telling me I had the wrong amp fuse and told me it should be a 20 Amp fuse. I think that the service guy doesn't know what he is talking about, and that PPL and my extended warrenty company are trying to make this an electrical issue which I have to pay for rather than a mechanical issue which is covered by the warrenty. I have a hard time believing that a blower motor requires a 20 amp fuse, when that motor ran just fine for 2 years with the 8 amp fuse before it blew.
I also have an issue with air pressure dropping at least 20 lbs when I have enough pressure built up to release the park brake. This is a recent occurrance, and looks as if it happens when the air suspension bags are filling with air. When I put the motorhome in drive, an alarm bell sounds but no warning lights come on. The PPL service guy told me it was an electrical short. How can an electrical short cause the pressure to drop 20 pounds? Again, they are trying to make this an electrical rather than a mechanical issue

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
First off the fuse(s) is for 12 vdc controls and the blower motor is powered by 120vac. PPL has had a pretty good reputation but if you do not trust them by all means take it to someone that also has a good reputation for a second opinion.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #3

Update...after trying to contact someone in the PPL maint. dept. all day yesterday, I finally found out that they put the 20 Amp fuse in to check the system out. The 8 Amp is the correct fuse. Evidently was a mis-communication. The maint. supervisor is supposed to contact me Monday to give details of thr repair so far. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #4

Good luck with Joy calling you. She hasn't returned any of my calls. I had to call her.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #5

Another update...I took my motorhome to PPL on July 22, with a blower and A/C problem the M/H has a basement A/C. It is covered by an extended warrenty. (Xtenda-ride) They measured 3 amps on compressor #2, so they dropped the unit and found it low on Freon. They put it back together and about a week later, with the M/H still at PPL the same problem occurred. They dropped the unit again and said it was ready to be picked up on Sept. 12. We went to pick it up on Sept. 16, and A/C had the same problem again. (3rd time) When I left, my understanding was they were supposed to call extended warrenty to see if they would replace the unit since this was the third time for same problem. They called today (25th) and said that extended warrenty would not cover replacement at this time because this is the first time the M/H was brought in for this problem. The M/H has been at PPL for over 2 months.
I am calling the extended warrenty place to find out what is the difference between a unit failing for the same reason 3 times at PPL vs bringing it back 3 times to PPL for the same problem. We are very irritated.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK I am not going to say what you want to hear probably but,
I cannot imagine anything in A/c that would be classed as a mechanical problem. basically an a/c is all motors and pumps. all electrical components. So will probably be an electrical problem. The only possibility would be if a fan motor shifted and the fan was hitting something stopping it from running that in my opinion would be mechanical.

Technically it did not fail three times. It was never fixed. If you want to get the failed three times clause to kick in. Go pick it up. do not test it just go get the unit. Drive it home if the air is not working wait two days and take it back that would be number two. When they tell you it is fixed then go pick it up right then. Do not test it out just get your MH and go. drive it for a coulple of days or park it for a couple of days whatever. Check the A/C and see if it works if not then take it back you now have three failures. I would not classify it as a failure until you had it out of the shop twice and took it back the third time. I am sure the three times they have had problems in the shop it is still under the same work ticket because they have not closed it out yet.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #7

In my opinion the unit has failed 3 times. If PPL has documented each fix then it should show 3 failures.
I need to revise what I said about Joy. She did call me back and did a excellent job on my MH. That is a very busy lady.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbeachbum View Post
In my opinion the unit has failed 3 times. If PPL has documented each fix then it should show 3 failures.
I need to revise what I said about Joy. She did call me back and did a excellent job on my MH. That is a very busy lady.
How are you going to document that it has failed three times. I am sure since it has never been picked up that all work was performed under the same work order. The warranty company is going to say that it was never fixed properly ( I would probably agree with that) and that it is still the same original problem. But frankly our opinion does not matter it will be the opinion of the warranty claims adjuster that will matter and the OP is going to have to convince them of that.

The warranty company goes by the most narrowly defined view of their warranty they can get by with. Let me give you an example. I purchased a warranty on my used MH when I bought it. The dealer or someone was slow getting the paperwork into the system. Three weeks after I bought the coach it developed a leak in a high pressure injector line. This is a covered repair according to the warranty information. I called the warranty company when the problem occurred and they could not find my information in their system. I called my roadside assistance plan and they sent a mechanic out to fix it. He could not get the new line that day but took an old one from his shop and made it work so that I was not sitting on the shoulder of the road. A week later the new part came in and I called the warranty service to get authorization to pay for it because all repairs have to be pre- approved. They still did not have my information. I paid the repair bill and called my dealer wanting to know what was going on. The dealer told me sometimes there was a delay getting information into the system but they would take care of it and make sure it showed the correct date I purchased the warranty. I called the warranty service the next day and found they had my information so I asked how to get reimbursed for the repair. I was informed that because I had not gotten pre-authorization they were not going to pay for the repair. When I pointed out that I had made about a dozen phone calls to get it pre-authorized and could not because they had issues with their data entry procedures I was told to send a copy of the bill and a letter explaining why it had not been pre- authorized. I did and they sent me a letter back denying it. I sent an email to the CEO of the company ( Good Sams Marcus) and he had a Vice president call me and work with me. I finally got it paid that way. But the original claims adjuster just took the attitude that I had not had it pre-authorized and they were not going to pay. The OP for this thread does not have that strong a case.

The OP really needs to find out why it is not fixed correctly when they say it is ready. He also needs to follow my advice and go get it when they say it is ready every time so he can keep it a few days then take it back. I realize this might not be easy and might be an expense to keep driving it back and forth but it is the only way he is going to document three repairs for the same thing.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #9

I called extended warrenty yesterday afternoon and spoke to an adjuster. (Heintz) He informed me that they are waiting on PPL to document the cause of the last A/C failure so they can move forward. They did NOT deny the replacement of the A/C as prevously stated by the service rep. The adjuster also wanted me to verify the mileage on the M/ H so they could be certain that it never left PPL. I will make a mental note to record mileage when M/H is in for service.
I tend to agree that this is PPL's fault, as they have failed numerous times to find a freon leak, which is classified as mechanical and covered under warrenty. I will also be calling PPL Monday and speaking to the service manager to get another service rep, as the one I have now isn't worth a crap.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #10

Final update...the A/C problem was two fold. They found a leak in the evaporator coil and replaced it. Then after two more failures, they found a leak in the condenser coil and replaced that. We picked the M/H up on Oct. 31, after it was there over 3 months. While checking the unit out, I noticed that there was a gap in the duct work and had to wait another hour while they put metal tape around the gap to seal it. I made a mental note to look at the fuel gauge which was a hair less than 1/2 full when we brought it in. It was reading 1/4 full when we picked it up. PPL reimbursed me for the fuel and for the labor I will have to expend to tape the duct work properly, as they did not have the right tape at PPL. We also have another problem that was not there when we brought the M/H in...I will address that in another note. If we have any new problems, we will not go to PPL again.