Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 05:05 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Outside entertainment center ?

How much do you use the outside entertainment center on your motorhome? We are looking at various floor plans and interior options that delete the possibility of the outside TV so that has us wondering how much typical people actually use it. This is also an option that adds 1 or 2K to the price, somewhat a consideration too.

Thanks

Jim
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:18 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use mine that has a H25 DirecTV receiver on a 26" LCD maybe once or twice a week or less when outside temps are above 75º.
Installed them myself for less then $500.

I can see anything recorded on the Genie inside.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:28 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Our coach has the large full bay that goes completely across the MH. Forward of this bay, there are 2 smaller bays just forward of it.

On the curb side the coach we converted it into our entertainment center (32" TV, car stereo and speakers) for basically the cost of my time and some plywood and of course the components.

We don't use it often, but its sure handy when we're tailgating at a sporting event and can turn on the TV or use the radio/CD player as well.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:38 AM   #4

I don't have an outside entertainment center but I know I value the storage space more than a TV. If I want outside TV, I can take the inside 32" flatscreen off it's articulated mount and put it's base/stand on in about 10 minutes.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:06 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I have had two class A's now and the first one did not have an outside TV. I have a Dutch Star presently and it has the outside entertainment center (passenger side in a cargo bay area). I use it mostly in the morning having my coffee outside and checking on the morning shows/weather. I enjoy being able to be outside and have my tech also. I'm very careful to keep the volume low - I don't want to infringe on anyone's morning quiet. Still as much as I like it, I would not pay more than 600.00 for it meaning that is what it is worth to me. So probably if I ever were to order a new coach, I would not get one - but I like having one since it came with this used coach. IF money were no object, I would definitely get one.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:17 AM   #6

I found a good idea on an outside TV set up online. Cost about $400 to make and buy 32" tv for if. Involves mounting a small receiver it the frame and making a l frame to hold the tv. Works great. Sorry I do not have pics but if interested I will try to get some.
gabeears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:32 AM   #7

We use ours a lot 1k to 2k sounds crazy you could have one heck of a entertainment center for that.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #8

For the once or twice a year that I want to watch tv outside it takes me all of five minutes to remove the indoor tv from its mount, drop it onto its stand/base on a table outside and connect it to the equipment rack inside via a 25 ft HDMI extension cable that I pre-routed and keep stowed in one of my basement bays.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We use ours alot, for music as well keeping up on Sports. Allows outdoor activities as keeps you in touch with Football, NASCAR etc.

Keeps the grandkids outside and entertained also.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:05 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I think I would use mine more if not for the glare. Until you get into the high end buses (Prevost, Newell), the mounting on the front slide and the height tends to create more glare. Another approach would be to place a TV in the lower bay. Takes room, but is easier to watch. Not sure why more mid-tier coaches don't do this, but suspect the engineers don't live in coaches and therefore have no understanding of the issues with the TV up on the slide. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Once. Just to say we have.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes

I don't think I would ever own a MH without one. I love ours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	72500  

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:32 AM   #13

I bought my motor home new off the dealer's lot. All of the one's they had in stock had the outside entertainment center. They said it was such a popular option that they ordered all the motor homes with it Since they were making deals on the ones they had in stock, it actually would have cost more for me to order one from the factory without it. In a little over a year I've used it four times. If it had not been included, I would not paid any extra for it, but I guess it will help the resale value.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #14

I've had one in the Buses since 2008 . and have probably used it 3 times. Not worth much to me, but it's mounted in a sidewall and I don't loose any inside or cargo area space, so it wouldn't have been worth the effort to order it without.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote