Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #1

Outside stairs don't operate

Sante Fe, NM

On a shake down druise in my 07 Fleetwood Revolution LE. Today, at the end of the days trip, the outside steps didn't deploy?

Haven't found a breaker tripped, and haven't see one for the steps?

Haven't check underneath , tomorrow project, berhaps a connection off.

Any one know what makes these stop and go?

Would appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Doug Garven-
Grn Valley AZ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Just inside the door you could find a pair of boxes. One on the door and one on the frame. These are magnetic switches. Bump the one on the frame fairly smartly and the steps should deploy. If your unit is do designed.

ed

Old 06-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarven View Post
Sante Fe, NM

On a shake down druise in my 07 Fleetwood Revolution LE. Today, at the end of the days trip, the outside steps didn't deploy?

Doug Garven-
Grn Valley AZ
Biggest problem with these steps is they become dry from lack of lubrication and sieze to operate. Could be an electrical issue but I would try lubricating all the joints with a good spray lube like CRC (WD 40 is not in the good category) and see where that takes you. I give mine a shot at least twice a year to keep them working.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Make sure all the 12v step wires are secure and one is not broken.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:44 PM   #5

You mentioned that you would be checking underneath. In doing so make sure you are not in the path the step would take when they deploy. You can be seriously injured as the step motor is powerful.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #6

i had a step that stopped working also. I could hear a sound, but no movement. Turns out, something has bent/broke the cotter pin that holds the main arm to the step. I replaced the cotter pin and went back working.
Unfortunately, like anything exposed under your coach, especially those mechanics close to the road, can be damaged fairly easily.
It also happened to us on a previous class a gasser. The sewer outlet was designed to swing out for connection, but also being exposed under the coach while driving. Again, something in the road, or a splash thru a pothole, hit and tweaked the line just enough to break the sewer dump pull handle unit, sending leaking 'stuff' and smells all over the road. What a repair!!

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
Outside stairs don't operate

When my step stopped working I found that the center pin that goes through a plate on top of the gear that the mother turns had either sheared off or came out in transit. This caused the gear to turn to one side and bend the brace. I was glad it got stuck in the up position. I unplugged the motor and used my extra stare to enter and exit the coach until I was able to get to the repair shop.

Thankfully I had an extended warranty from Wholesale Warrenties, as they covered replacing the motor, the gear, the pin (or bolt) at the top, the bent brace, and the repair work. I just paid my deductable.

I know that extended warranties seem like just another expense, but when you need them it is nice to know you have it. The repair shop told me that the extended warranty was far easier to work with and much faster than even trying to get the manufacture to approve and pay for a new coach warranty work.

Ted
Old 06-21-2015, 05:12 AM   #8

My steps worked intermittently, then stopped altogether! I cleaned the electrical connections, they worked for a while then stopped again.
I just had the motor replaced under my RV Care warranty. They are working great again.
The tech advised waiting until the steps fully deploys before stepping on them. There is a very slight delay after first step comes out to full deployment of second step.
csidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #9

I don't believe,there is a breaker for the stairs. Check the fuses to see if blown.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
get underneath them (out of their way) and ping them with a hammer from several directions.

I too thought this silly advice, until it worked.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Sante Fe, NM

Doug Garven-
Grn Valley AZ
Doug,
Well, the first thing you need to know is, how they work and, if there's any situations in which THEY WONT' WORK, INTENTIONALLY. First and foremost, any time the ignition key is in the "ON" position, (engine running or not) the steps are in the ACTIVE STATE! That is, if the door is opened, the steps SHOULD extend. If the door is closed, the steps SHOULD be in the fully retracted position. If the door is open and, the steps are out, and the door is then closed, they SHOULD RETRACT.

Now, if the ignition is OFF, then as the door is opened for the first time, after the ignition was turned off, they will extend. And, based on the position of the door switch for those steps, they will stay extended, EVEN WHEN THE DOOR IS CLOSED! But, again, this is only true if the ignition remains in the off position.

But, if you have a door switch for that step, it might be a two-way toggle. One direction of the toggle might say "On" and the other, will say "Off". Now, here's what happens with the toggle in the "Off" position. The steps will extend, as normal, when the ignition is turned off. But, as the door closes, the steps remain in the extended position. No matter how many times you open and close, that door, the steps will remain extended.

But, if you switch the door switch to the "On" position, you are placing the step in the "Park" operation. In that, the steps will extend and, retract, EACH AND EVERY TIME YOU OPEN THE DOOR, regardless of the ignition key position. The primary reason for that is, it is done that way so that, in close camping conditions, as in not too much room along side the coach on that side AND, to prevent leg/knee injuries both day and night in those close operating conditions, the step retracts to provide the added clearance and protection from injury due to being extended.

The problem with that mode of operation is, (that is if you think it's a problem) since it actuates the steps each and ever time you open and close the door, you cause unnecessary wear and tear on the entire step mechanism if it's not needed to use that mode.

So, now that you know how and when the steps SHOULD work, you can now be a bit better equipped to analyze why they're not working. Since it has been mentioned about the magnetic switches just inside the door jamb, you know what actually switches the steps to work. And, people have stated many times, those many, many pivot points in that entire step mechanism, will start to corrode and rust. And, because they exist in seriously deplorable conditions, i.e. right under the front end of the coach where they pick up all the road dust, debris and more, on the face of the planet, all those pivot points will get that road dust/debris etc. lodged in those pivot joints along with the rust and corrosion.

Kwikee, the largest manufacturer of those entry steps, has made many improvements over the years in the operation and, electrical operation of those. But, they still can goof up every now and then. There are reports of the motors actually freezing or, locking up, in either the fully extended or, retracted position. The cure for that is, one, remove the motor and, figure out if it's locked or not, two, if it is, either replace the motor or, if you're handy, take it apart and, do what's needed to free things up.

But, if you disconnect the operating arm mechanism from the connection point at the steps, be prepared for those steps to free fall, back down to the bottom resting point, due to the weight and gravity. Now, if you disconnect that arm and, they don't fall, well then you have a serious bind some place in all that pivoting mechanism. There's a zillion things to use as lube for all those. Kwikee has it's own recommendation. I use whatever I've got hanging around. I do it enough that, I don't all the so-called "dirt collection" at those points that many say WILL happen. Never does.

And, as stated, Kwikee in their improvements over the years, made their electrical connections better with the use of what's called Weather-Pak electrical connections. Those are triple sealed connections and, normally will not give any problems.

One more thing, unless they've changed their operational characteristics, do not look for a GROUND for the wires on that motor or, do not look for it, in the mounting of the motor to the chassis. You see, the wires that operate that motor, both of them, have REVERSING rolls in which part they play, depending on if the steps are extending or, retracting. That is, if you were to disconnect that motor, electrically from the harness, and, jump it with an outside 12V source, you'd find that, hooking the positive of your battery to one wire and, the negative to the other, it will extend the steps or, simply spin the motor one direction, to it's lock point.

Then, reverse the connections and, you'll find that the steps retracting or, the motor spinning the other direction, to it's lock point.

Hope this helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #12

Response to all who submitted their advice

Thanks to everyone who responded to my steps post. I am much more knowlegable about steps than pervious. However it wasn't an easy fix, apparently there is an electronic controller for the step, that is what was determined to be bad.
I have made a payment for Mobil service and installation + part for $395.00!!

Are we having fun yet! Oh I forgot to mention that my sun awning deployed at 65 mph the other day, ended up cutting that off the frame and securing the apparatus, apparently if the spring breaks in the wind up roll that is the end result, so much for automatic anythings!

Thanks again.

Doug Garven
Old 06-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who responded to my steps post. I am much more knowlegable about steps than pervious. However it wasn't an easy fix, apparently there is an electronic controller for the step, that is what was determined to be bad.
I have made a payment for Mobil service and installation + part for $395.00!!

Are we having fun yet! Oh I forgot to mention that my sun awning deployed at 65 mph the other day, ended up cutting that off the frame and securing the apparatus, apparently if the spring breaks in the wind up roll that is the end result, so much for automatic anythings!

Thanks again.

Doug Garven
Hence why I know have steps that have to be pulled out by hand

and no slides with motors, fuses and control boards

or engine

or transmission

or airbags

or windshield wipers

or sway bars

or headlights

or

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet